New Steven Wilson album in the making: "Hand. Cannot. Erase." 3/2/15

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

If you mean the deluxe 2CD/DVD/BD set then I can tell I haven't spotted such a card yet on my set which arrived Friday.

2. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

You can rip the hi res file either from the blu-ray or the dvd. Dvd is easier to get acces to the files because blu-ray is protected but it can be easily worked around too with DVD Audio Extractor. Thats what I use with all my blu-ray/dvds. And to get around BR protection use Any DVD HD. :)

3. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Was at my daughter's dance recital on Saturday, while awaiting her performance I was pleasantly surprised when looking over the printed ticket that there was an advert for Steven Wilson's tour and his stop at that same venue (Horowitz Theatre in Edmonton, AB) in June. Bought tickets that evening. Will be my first time seeing him. Very excited.

4. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Well that's too bad. I guess I will just have to rip it off the Blu-Ray then. It's more of a pain but better than having to buy them.

5. Mij Retrac

Yeah I have a program it's just a pain since I still have to separate them and add metadata to them. Downloads would be a lot less work.

6. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. :)

7. tcj

tcj Senior Member

The same went for Raven. It's an equally great album without vocals. Really curious about the demos in the deluxe edition. The blurb on the description says that the demos disc includes music that didn't make it to the album, so that should be interesting. The demos for Raven were unfortunately a bit underwhelming - they just sounded like raw versions of the finished tracks, rather than something more "in development."

Plan9 likes this.
  8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The demos are okay.... the bonus track is weak. The studio documentary I've seen on SW's homepage.

9. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think he has been brave with this track and obviously you need to give it time to see if it starts to resonate but I think in quite a few ways it breaks the flow of the record.

10. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I got the Blu Ray version delivered today-a few extra tracks from the DVD plus there is a code for a digital download..........

11. Mij Retrac

Is it a hi res download or just MP3s?

12. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

My guess would be it is the same that comes with the vinyl. 44.1/16 FLAC and MP3 with the same code.

13. axeugene

axeugene It don't matter if yer by my side, I'm satisfied

I'll be seeing you there! The Horowitz is one of my favourite venues in town.
    I saw SW with PT on The Incident tour in Los Angeles and it was the best sounding show I've ever been to, so here's hoping that soundwise this is on par with that.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  14. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Just downloaded it-it's both MP3s and Flacs in separate folders-he tends to do things right does our Mr Wilson...........

15. Mij Retrac

Yeah but from what I read in a previous post they are 16/44.1 FLAC files.

What would be right is if he included that download card with the $100 deluxe set and it includes the hi res to be downloaded.

16. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Gonna be a great show and you are actually going to see a different formation of his live-band because after the European leg of this tour both Marco Minneman and Guthrie Govan will be replaced (as they are going on tour with their own band Aristocrats) by Dave Kilminster on guitar and Craig Blundell on drums. Kilminster was actually recommended by Govan himself and might be known as the guitarplayer that has stood on top of Roger Water's Wall for the past few years.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  17. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Regret #9 almost sounds like his interpretation of a David Gilmour solo. It would be great to hear him play that live.

18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Looks like you are right now I look at the file sizes.............

19. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I saw the Wall tour on its way thru town a few years back. Likely saw Kilminster then.

20. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Has anyone received a shipping notification about the vinyl edition? I preordered a copy for me and one for my friend off Amazon, but have yet to receive any status updates.

To make matter worse, knowing that usually most record stores get new music late during the week PRIOR to release date, I called some of my local stores to see if they had gotten any copies in of the album on vinyl and none of them did (while getting CD copies).

My guess is that it has been delayed.

21. floyd

floyd Senior Member

thanks for posting this. I read this and wondered how close he would be getting to me I figured I would have to make the 3 hour drive to Chicago. Well it turns out he is playing in Madison WI about an hour away from me. So I grabbed a ticket.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  22. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

The vinyl is out in the UK (not that it helps).

Mine arrived on Saturday, the official release date was yesterday. That was from Burning Shed.

After a few listens I think this is going to be my favourite SW "solo" album. I think he had more control over the musicians on this one and reigned in some of their excesses which tarnished "Raven" for me. Very little from Theo Travis (I am not a fan).

Packaging is up to the normal high standard, the booklet is a thing of beauty. I have not downloaded the flac files yet.

Looking through the k-Scope insert I own over 40 of the albums advertised. I must like "post prog sounds".

Starwanderer, LivingForever and sassi like this.
  23. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

For those only interested in the digital edition, it is indeed on HD Tracks now. 24bit. £16 in UK.

Not sure what do about this because when Raven first appeared on Burning Shed (at the same time as the vinyl and CD) it was only £7.50.

I checked my old invoices to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

I wonder if this is why Burning Shed haven't released it yet?
    Maybe HD Tracks have some exclusive on the 24bit edition.

24. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

Yeah, picked it up a bit ago from HDT. Unfortunately, work beckons. It'll be a long 9 hours today.

25. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I guess the vinyl in the US has been delayed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.