The Great USB cable debate poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mindblanking, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes I know it´s becoming more common. What is in Your experience regarding the sonical benefits?

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And even then, it's the tired old "you're system ain't resolving enough ". Might've worked under analogue systems, but not so much with data transference.

3. missan

missan Forum Resident

It´s a logical fallacy, as I see it. It will not work in any system.

4. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

The audio is "less smeared".

5. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Several things here, you're twisting what I did say. I never said I "believed" anything. And I never said I didn't care about supposed "evidence". And if you proposed numbers that were relevant to measurements of a wire like inductance, resistance, capacitance, impedance, I would not dispute that they may make cables appear to be identical in signal transfer capabilities.

6. missan

missan Forum Resident

Do You by that mean a higher amount of jitter? Or what do You mean? Do test tones look different?

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've read a few posts this morning that I can't interpret any other way but "deep down I understand these cables don't do anything but its really fun to use them and pretend that they do".

Which is cool I suppose.

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

I have a feeling that You confusing USB-cables with analog cables. On analog cables these measurements can be relevant, but on the same time they might not.

9. gloomrider

I mean that the sound seems more focused. I've tried it for two weeks with the Wyrd and two weeks with it out of the loop. I prefer the sound with the Wyrd in.

10. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

So what you are saying is not the same as what I was inferring. What does "Working" mean? All things being audibly recognizable in any system, I find a total fallacy. Example: Some guy who is running a mid-seventies receiver with modest bookshelf speakers and an entry level turntable that claims what I think I hear in a high-end kit is not possible or wrong, simply gains no acknowledgment from me. I'm not trying to create a class war here, yet it is ridiculous to even suggest that all sound equipment or systems are equally resolving. I would totally agree that it is a very subjective thing though, just what we might collectively consider is "right" or "wrong". Again, these are just my audible experiences, I don't claim to lay scientific proof, as I would not be capable to do that. IMHO many things are audible that are not scientifically explainable beyond any shadow of doubt. So I have no interest in that. And it is OK that we may not agree. There is so much vinyl and so little time, I'd be happy just to listen and draw whatever conclusion I might.

11. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

So do you mean to suggest that nothing in physics has any sonic influence on digital transmission?

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

If it does, it is an analog aspect of the transfer, most likely with the power part of the cable. To my thinking, if a well separated and insulated cable causes corrective circuitry to work less there could be advantages with some DACs.

13. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

The point is, the cable itself is not going to cause any of these changes you claim to perceive. Period.

14. missan

missan Forum Resident

Sorry if it seemed as if I was referring to You, I really wasn´t at all.
    I was just thinking about the 'the enigma of a resolving system' which I think is a logical fallacy. But I will not try to hinder anyone to draw the conclusions they want. But I would urge to think about a 'resolving system' and what effect it will actually have on what we hear.

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It seems a common feature of these threads is a theory that while we can send probes to Mars and map the human genome, transmitting an audio signal across a cable contains mysteries science can't unlock.

russk, paddycook, SBurke and 2 others like this.
  16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

There is a lot of subjective stuff in listening impressions.

17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

When I think about resolving, I think about lower distortion speakers. In the past 20 years I've had two different sets, both with similar frequency response, but the one with newer drivers can deliver detail in congested moments that the older set simply could not present.

18. missan

missan Forum Resident

I really did not say that, of course. But we are talking about transmission in the Megahertz range compared with something like 10-15kHz range.

VinylRob likes this.
  19. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

...And it seems with science that upon every "new discovery" we feel as though we now know the absolute truth, this time.

20. gloomrider

Indeed. A baseband signal at that frequency bears little resemblance to analog audio.

missan likes this.
  21. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Oh... I am quietly judging you.

:D

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

When the topic is the origins of the universe, I agree. It seems a lot of people are now doubting the big bang theory.

But I think some things we have nailed down pretty well.

Like cables.

23. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

I skimmed the last 6 pages or so...This thread has gone from educational to pathetic. I feel sorry for Gary to be honest. Please just close this mess.

Gary and jfeldt like this.
  24. missan

missan Forum Resident

I guess this post must be in pathetic catagory, as it is not educational by any means. Can You show me a post of Yours that has been educational?

25. gloomrider

I suspect that thread closure is what the trolls have been spoiling for all along. It's a fairly well known method:
    • A thread is started that challenges the forum's conventional wisdom
    • The "real audiophiles" will troll the thread, hoping for a vitriolic response
    • When enough vitriolic responses are achieved, the "mature" members of the forum maturely ask for the thread to be closed or deleted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.