Live Van Halen Tokyo show to be released in March!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood Thread Starter

2. Anarseo

Anarseo Forum Resident

ugh! no DVD\Blu-Ray?

evh5150 likes this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Aggie87 likes this.
  4. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

No "Jump"?

5. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I'd prefer a live show from the '80's with Roth, but this'll do. ;)

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up!

7. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

The link in the first post says Jump is the last song.

8. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood Thread Starter

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I don't really care either way, except that some very good comments on the forthcoming album had been made in the other thread, so I figured you'd be interested. I've started a few repetitive threads myself either because I didn't search or my search didn't work. But if this thread takes off so be it.

10. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Cool. They updated the post to include it.

11. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The listing for this album in it's various CD and Vinyl configurations as well the re-remastered VH1 and 1984 albums have finally shown up on other retail sites besides the VH Store on sites like Amazon. For the past week or so, there was growing speculation this release may have been delayed or even cancelled. In addition, a pair of audio clips from the album have been posted:

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YvSjJyQ6Pto

IMO, the mix sounds pretty lousy. Obviously, Eddie's guitar is way up front and centered but Alex's drums sound pretty weak (they sounded a *lot* better live at the two shows I caught in 2012). Then there's Dave who just sounds annoyingly bad often singing in that higher register.

Honestly, I'm more interested in how much better (or worse) the latest round of remastered VH1 and 1984 albums will sound.

12. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Chris Haley likes this.
  13. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I saw the title and immediately thought of this....of which is in my collection.

[​IMG]

Would've been a lot more enticing.

14. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

"Panama" is awful yet pretty much what I expected.

HAmmer and Panama Jack like this.
  15. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

Yeah, that Panama is just really, really bad thanks to Dave's non effort.

16. Partyslammer

17. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Seeing a lot of my Van Halen brothers and sisters talking bad about this release and then finishing with "I mean, I'll buy it, but...". I'm not buying this, I wouldn't buy this if it were $5! Have the bootleg if I want to listen to this show. And I don't! There's plenty they could release to get my dollars, but not this one.

18. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I may wait for the bargain bin.

19. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

It was stated that this was going to be a true live recording with no "touched up" vocals.......after hearing this clip of Panama I believe it. It does not sound like they did any re-recording or auto-tuning of Dave's vocals. His vocals are positively awful here, and I take no joy in saying that as a massive VH fan myself.

jeffsab, Panama Jack, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  20. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

This cut.. is.. dreadful. With all the good stuff residing in the Van Halen archive, why is it we get Right Here, Right Now and this...?

21. Partyslammer

Agree 100%. And Dave was actually better on this short series of shows in Japan than most of the US leg of the 2012 tour.

What is more amazing, is that Dave was actually one of the strong points of the '07 reunion tour which they professionally filmed for a never-realized home video release. Probably because Eddie was still struggling with his various chemical demons and wasn't quite up to snuff much of that tour (although he was immeasurably better than in '04).

22. zen

zen Senior Member

Enticing!! :rolleyes:

23. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I thought Dave sounded great on 2007 tour. I was not able to catch a show on the 2012 tour, but man....the vocals are horrible. Time for DLR to hang it up I think.

24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Just listened to "Panama" twice. It's not as bad as I expected.

The brothers are as good as they ever were. Obviously, Wolfie's bass playing is different from Mikey's, but he doesn't ruin the vibe.

But, yeah, the vocals are the usual "Hey! I'm strutting the stage! What more do you want?!" kind of stuff. And while Wolfie can play bass well, he can cover for Dave the way Mikey did. Not his fault. It's too much to ask. Mike's background vocals were a unique gift to that band.

Trouble is, if they released the US Festival or one of the shows from the Diver Down or 1984 tours, I'm not sure that it would be much better.

They should have recorded a show from one of the earlier "reunion" tours when Dave was actually trying. Either that, or Oakland '81.

This is what Spotify is for. I'll listen to it once or twice, but I don't want another CD or LP that I won't listen to cluttering up my study any worse than it already is.

25. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Would rather have an official live release from their prime years. Even if not multichannel, BluRay or whatever. But I suppose I should be happy with this and will likely buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.