Let's all appreciate the brilliance of Toto

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FlatulentDonkey, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Isn't Lukather playing the solo on Peter Cetera's (only good solo song ever) "Livin' in the Limelight"?

2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Ah, the thing is, I was around (hence my dig at her thespian skills)... don't get me wrong, I understand her appeal.

3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I only really know Toto IV, but didn't they also back Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down ? Quite a few Grammy's in these two, for whatever that indicates.....

4. hackster

hackster Forum Resident

Yes. I always thought the same about Firefall (under-appreciated). Looking back, there was a lot of good music on AOR/FM rock stations in the 70's (more diverse back then than the dreaded "classic rock" that they play today), that was better than what I thought it was at the time?

5. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I think Toto is slightly better than Kansas and slightly worse than Asia.

Yes, I realize that's faint praise.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I always appreciated the bona fide hits off of Toto IV. In general, I am not a big fan, but I do think Africa is one of the best commercial tracks to come out of the 80's.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, Toto also played on Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down as well.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

new album received a perfect score over at Melodicrock.com

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Hold The Line reminded me of Boston for some reason. \The only Toto thing I really love is the last 30 seconds of Rosanna, when they turn to tempo upside down and Lukather plays every note on the guitar three times in 20 seconds.

10. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

I don't know much about Toto but I love Hold The Line, Rosanna, Africa and their version of Bodhissatva.

The little fella with the moustache and the high voice is a stunning singer.

11. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I like Toto a lot. As an act I only liked when the vocals were done by Bobby Kimball, Steve Lukather, David Paich and Joseph Williams. I didn't like the other singers that much as talented as they are.

12. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

[​IMG]

13. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident Thread Starter

14. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Joseph Williams - great lead singer, the band at their best when he's leading the line...
    Frederikson and Luke - pretty fine upfront, tho Luke is essential in whatever he contributes...
    Kimball - tolerable early on...
    Byron - I think not...

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  15. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

First heard Toto when I was 9, lots of songs stuck in my head ever since. Still trying to dive deeper into their discography, acquired a Mindfields CD I haven't heard yet but will see to one day. Favorites are their first two albums, Holyanna, some stuff off Toto IV and Pamela.

For what it's worth: In the hip and happening cafe/concert venue/record shop in town, a surprising amount of 16-to-20 year olds request Toto often, especially Rosanna and Africa. Lots of their records have because of this fact made their way from the farty cardboard boxes on the floor to the alphabetized racks. I suppose they inherited the love for this music via their parents, in the eighties and for a good part of the nineties Toto were quite popular here. They get some flak, but that's no surprise, really. It is very calculated, very well planned and so forth - but what I've heard has mainly been good and exciting music despite of this fact. And as players, especially live, from what I can gather, they're on fire and very innovative.

godslonelyman likes this.
  16. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Check out the recent album, and the Live in Poland DVD... :yikes:

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  17. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

So, am I the only one that thinks Isolation and Fahrenheit are their two best albums then?

My mate plays guitar for Bobby Kimball, but he sounds awful these days (apparently due to hearing problems and he's OK in the studio)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Jimmy Agates likes this.
  18. shiverbones

shiverbones Forum Resident

Sorry to dissent, but I find them unlistenable

19. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Fahrenheit is definitely up there, the first of Joe's albums, but always thought they went one better with the following Seventh One...

soundboy likes this.
  20. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I've not yet heard Fahrenheit except for the singles, but I started listening to Seventh One in the past couple years and think it's really good. Not better than the first album and IV though.

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Steve Lukather on the guitar solo for "Running With The Night":

bruce2 likes this.
  22. gary191265

I always found The Seventh One to be aping IV a little, and I really don't like IV!

23. Fahrenheit is my favourite Toto album. Love Joseph Williams voice and Miles Davis' guest appearance on "Don't Stop Me Now". Great songwriting as well, "Could This Be Love", "Somewhere Tonight", "Till The End" and "I'll Be Over You" are among their best songs.

I don't like Isolation nearly as much. Fergie Fredericksen wasn't the right voice for Toto's music and the songs are very inconsistent. For every "Stranger In Town", "Angel Don't Cry" and "How Does It Feel" there's an awful "Mr. Friendly", "Change Of Heart" or "Holyanna". When it comes to Jeff Porcaro's drums sound, it's certainly the worst of any Toto album.

24. gary191265

I liked Fergies voice and I loved the drum sound on that album (not listened to it in a while though!)

Holyanna was rubbish though :)

25. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

[​IMG]

MKHopkins and bcaulf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.