Paradigm Studio series to be discontinued

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kitlope, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

Paradigm lover here - had v2 Studio 40s and 20s in that nice light cherry finish as my main system for years, and upgraded to the v5 line about 18 months ago (100 fronts, CC-690 center, 20 surrounds, 10 back surrounds). The sound is fantastic. I still have the 40s and 20s...can't decide if I should keep them for a rainy day or sell them off. The 40s were really sweet for 2 channel music listening.

Sad to see the line go...

2. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Sorry to see it go but that Prestige line doesn't look too bad IMO. Had a Studio v3 5.1 setup comprising of 100s, a CC640 and 20s in the rear. It was a nice setup with my Rotel separates at the time.

We're getting ready to finish the basement soon and while perusing craigslist this weekend I stumbled upon some Monitor 90p v3 and scooped them up for a steal. Was just giving them a listen tonight and they're exactly what I wanted down there - a 2ch party speaker.

Bill

Art K likes this.
  3. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I had a friend who was a dealer and he had a 90P setup for the good times. He also had a full Studio 100 home theater with multiple Reference subs and the whole thing. Nice!

4. gojira

gojira Active Member

My buddy and I bought at the same time and he still has his Studio 80 v.2 as he refuses to part with them. Seems like there is a general preference for the older V.2 series.

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Actually there were three forum members earlier in this thread (maybe only two, as one guy never specified if he actually had the V.2 Studio 100's?), who never cared for them. Even before I moved on to my current B&W 805D's, I was smart enough to just take my Studio 100 V.2's and store them in their original boxes, as I know that they are a GREAT sounding set of speakers! I'm a complete believer in the fact that speakers are a VERY personal thing, as each of our hearing is different, but I also know that the reality of those Studio 100 V.2's is, that some guys just can't get there heads around the idea that a really well designed floor standing speaker, could come at a $2,000 price point and sound this damn smooth. Were the Paradigm's great at the playback of "all" styles of music, well no, but what set of speakers under $2,000, is? These babies were a bargain when they were new and there wasn't any other speaker, new at the time that could even come close to them, without spending at least double or more. Now that Paradigm is dropping the "Studio" line, maybe the older models will finally see an uprise in resale, as they currently still seem to be a "secret" value in the used hi-fi world! Considering my own disappointing limited sales, in this forums classifieds, as everybody always seems to want something for nothing, I find it very hard to understand why more here haven't yet discovered that the Studio 100 V.2's are a bargain. A bargain that those of us in the know, may sing out, as Daltrey would...,

"the best I ever had... (imagine Keith Moon drumming here), THE BEST I EVER HAD!"

Tim 2 and wgb113 like this.
  6. gojira

gojira Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. In fact, Robert Deutsch from Stereophile came to the conclusion that the V2 punched well above its weight for its price but at that time he was bit doubtful as far as some of the audiophile community being able to embrace it simply because Paradigm manufactured it and because it was only 2k. I have read elsewhere that the whole line of v.2 are keepers. Funny you should mention the Who as I remember cranking 'em up to many of the band records, much to the dismay of my neighbors.:D

Chris C likes this.
  7. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I still have the 20v2's for surrounds and the 60v3s for L/C/Rs. After 9 years, they are still pretty amazing. I plan to replace them soon.......but I've said that before.;)

8. gojira

gojira Active Member

9 years? Am impressed given the fact that you must have access to all the latest gear. Guess you like them. :cool:

9. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

This is slightly off topic, but outside of the Studio and forthcoming Prestige lines are any Paradigm products still made in Canada from Canadian components. When I sold Hifi in the early to mid 90s I was impressed with the sound quality of the $179 fully made in Canada Atoms that I bought a pair for my self and must have sold hundreds of Atom based systems.

At the time I didn't realize how quickly speaker manufacturers would follow the component vendors off shore. Looking back I should have known it was coming when integrated subwoofer amplifiers like the one in my Phase Technology Power 12 and NHT started coming from China.

Cheers, Michael

10. everton

everton Forum Resident

I believe their Signature line speakers are also "Made in Canada". But I don't know what percentage of the components is sourced from within Canada.

11. corduroy

corduroy Forum Resident

My salesman in NJ said that Paradigm are currently working on a new Signature line, but he couldn't reveal much detail.

Instead of taking a look at the Prestige, I may just hold off until a new Sig gets introduced but I have no idea when.

12. everton

everton Forum Resident

I have version 1 of the Signature S2. I've been thinking of moving to a new version. But I'm afraid that the upcoming version will be beyond my price range.

13. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'm sure that Paradigm will offer incentives to their dealers to make their old stock disappear. They also might have discounted blemished new old stock to unload on dealers at discounted prices. My boss used to buy truck loads of Studio series speakers in special wood finishes at hefty discounts AND free shipping if he committed to large quantities. Paradigm offered further dealer incentives when invoices were paid in less than 20 days. My boss passed a most of those savings along to the customer.

14. Kal Rubinson

Indeed. However, there is better today and I am feeling the pressure to update if only so that my review comparisons are more relevant for the reader.

15. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I owned v1, v2 and v3 Paradigm Studio series speakers and felt that the v3's were the pinnacle of that series. They were, to my ears, remarkably better than the previous iterations.

16. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I had Studio 60v2's for 6 years, replaced them with Totem Hawks. Sometimes I miss their oomph. However, they were a darker speaker and considerably less. Great value for the money.

17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

It will be interesting to see if you update to newer Paradigm's or other.

18. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Always been a big Paradigm fan, and my main rig is currently Studio 60 v4s. Look forward to hearing these (although I'm not in the market for an upgrade).

"Very" ugly? :confused: If anything they're a little plain relative to Paradigm's recent stylings, but they look pretty much like the vast majority of speakers available...

Here's an example of very ugly speakers IMO:
    [​IMG]

Tim 2 likes this.
  19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Yikes, those look like they were designed by the people who designed the robo- tiger thingy that Katy Perry rode into the Super Bowl half time show... ;)

20. Kal Rubinson

As soon as I can sell my Studios, we will all find out. ;)

21. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Yesterday I bought a pair of Studio 20 v.5 floor models for $999 from Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH. I've had the cc-570 v.3 center and the adp-470 v.3 surrounds for 10 years but it was never a high enough priority $$-wise to upgrade my main speakers.

The Studio 20 v.5 mates well with the v.3 center and surrounds. My ears are very happy.

If anyone's interested they also had a pair of Studio 60 v.5 floor models for sale.

22. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

I got the Studio 80 v2's as a gift to myself months before getting married and worrying about WAF :). This was back in 2002. It saw 12 years of use and abuse and they still sound fantastic! I considered the 60's and 40's back in the day as well...

Since upgrading to Signature S8 v2's more than a year ago, these 80's have become my rear channels in the 5.1 system. Although no longer "pressed" into duty anywhere like how they used to be, they still do a fantastic job when the soundtrack or surround music demands.

BTW: The box for the Signature S8's certainly say "Made in Canada". I know they take pride in declaring that they do their own voice coils and magnet assemblies. As well of course in-house research and collaboration with the NRC.

23. Kal Rubinson

24. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I had a pair of Paradigm bookshelf speakers years ago, but for the life of me I cannot remember what model. But I do remember I was unhappy with their sound. I sold them rather quickly, as I recall.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  25. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Too bad they are changing the look. I really like the look they have had all this time.

I bought my Monitor 7's V.3 years ago and never felt the need to upgrade. They are great sounding speakers and felt like I got more value than they cost. One big reason I bought them was because of how low they can go without a sub, when I choose not to use my sub.

I always like the studios and almost thought of upgrading to them at one point. A friend of mine owned them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.