Anyone else out there discovering and becoming addicted to "Downton Abbey"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thermionic Dude, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't assume that it's over, I just rather think Bates would have never made it back to Downton under the circumstances. I assume that the police were aware of his flight to Ireland. I expect that the next big thing to happen will be Anna being re-arrested, unless the witness just reverses his story and picks someone else.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't think the police knew where he was. The Crawleys didn't report his letter to the police.

I can't even remember -- was Anna there when the rapist was killed?

A less cozy show would reveal she did kill the valet. And I still think Mr. Bates killed his first wife!

3. dkmonroe

I never thought Anna was within a hundred miles of Green when he was killed but I was probably not paying attention. Like everyone else I just assumed that Bates did in Green and I'm perversely disappointed that he apparently didn't do it!

If ANNA did it, then the shark has truly been jumped! :laugh:

4. Squealy

The guy attacked other women so it was probably another blonde victim of his.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I hope we don't have to spend next season on the Bates subplot. Please let it be over and done with!

John B Good and Shawn like this.
  6. dkmonroe

I expect it'll be done up in about two more episodes. They either have to go ahead and incarcerate of of them or have the Real Culprit exposed. Even Fellowes ought to understand that it's run its course by now.

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The final shot in the season finale last night was a door closing on an embracing Anna and Bates. Let us hope that this signals a symbolic closing of the door on that awful, drawn-out plot once and for all.

DreadPikathulhu and Shawn like this.
  8. dkmonroe

Then we can move on to the apparent fact that they can't have kids! Good times ahead! :laugh:

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Honestly that's the storyline they should have explored for them this season, with Anna telling Bates she was finally pregnant on Christmas. They hinted at it, so I imagine that will be their season six plot.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I wish that were true but I doubt it.

11. DreadPikathulhu

I don't know which subplot annoyed me more last season; the Bates whodunnit or Lady Edith lurking around the Drewe's farm.

John B Good and Tex_Writer like this.
  12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I guess it hasn't been officially announced yet whether season six will be the show's last, but Maggie Smith (Violet aka Granny) has confirmed that it will be her final season.

http://www.bostonherald.com/enterta...aggie_smith_to_leave_downton_abbey_after_next

I can't see them convincingly writing her character out of the show alive, so this means either:

She dies next season

and/or

It will indeed be the last season of the show

13. Squealy

It was oddly reminiscent of The Godfather. Though I wouldn't necessarily assume Julian Fellowes has ever watched that movie.

I have to think that in real life, someone like Lord Grantham would find it extremely embarrassing for the family that two of his staff had been accused of murder and gone to prison, rightfully or not, and that neither of them would still be working there.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Stolen (sp?) must have really spilled his guts to Barrow, I thought Sinderby was turned far too easily.

15. DreadPikathulhu

I can see them wringing a lot of drama out of a long, drawn out illness and death of Granny. I'm not sure who they'd replace her with the following season. Maybe they can bring Shirley Maclaine back?

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Season 5 sure was great

James RD likes this.
  17. Yep. If the Bates murder situation has been a few seasons just imagine how long they'll drag the death of Granny out!

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I enjoyed it too. More I think than the last couple of seasons.

James RD likes this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

Maybe they'll manage it the way they managed the death of Isis.

"Granny seems to be rather listless lately. Perhaps it's time to call Doctor Clarkson?"

dkmonroe and John B Good like this.
  20. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Thoughts on season 5
    - as everyone else has pointed out... The Bates murder story line. Just end it already. Let these poor people move on and be happy.
    - Lady Edith... hopefully now that the truth is out to just about everyone in the family they do something different with her next season. No more moping around.
    - Lady Mary... like Lady Edith I'd like to see something different next season. Another season of her being pissy to potential suitors would be tough to watch. Again.
    - Branson... really liked the character but they didn't do much with him this season other than reiterate he might be moving to Boston and reminding us he was part of the family, but not really.

enocaster and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

I really don't find much interest in Lady Mary or Lady Edith, and it looks like Branson is gone. It would be interesting next season to show his adventures in Boston.

Maybe next season they can make the story upstairs the sickness and death of the Dowager Countess and spend more time with what is going on downstairs. I'd like to see if Thomas finds happiness, and always enjoy anything involving Carson and Hughes and the kitchen staff. I don't really like the Bates' either, and would be perfectly happy if they retired to open a bed and breakfast in their house.

22. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I think they'll have a baby & the baby will be arrested on murder charges!

enocaster and Bryan like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Longtime show producer Julian Fellowes has said that the Bates' troubles are not over, and that Lady Edith still has more problems yet to come. None of these shows are yet written (let alone produced), so it's anyone's guess as to where they'll go with the plot line.

As I've said before, I think they're headed in a direction where -- if they wanted to -- they could end the series in 1929, when Lord Grantham loses all his money and the family has to sell the castle and departs to live in much smaller quarters. While they're doing OK in 1924-1925, I can see where everything could build to a climax and then fall apart in four short years.

It looks to me like the new male character just introduced will be the romantic foil for Mary in the next season, but I'm just guessing. Fellowes provides a few clues in a recent NY Times interview:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/a...-in-the-downton-abbey-season-finale.html?_r=0

24. I could almost see a Branson spin-off.

25. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Say it ain't so Joe!

Yes, 1929 might make a good ending.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.