Joe Satriani to release 'Complete Studio Recordings' Box Set !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

buy all the available albums on hdtracks.com, as the chrome dome is no longer available. The hdtracks versions are exactly the same

2. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

3. Is there a difference in the mastering/dynamic range between the new CD box set and the Chrome Dome/HDTracks 24/96 files?

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

nope

rjstauber likes this.
  5. Claus, thanks for the quick reply.

I just got the CD box set and compared the sound to the other CD versions I have.

I like the mastering from the box set on the following albums best (better than my other CD Version):

The Extremist (my original CD is brighter, and I like the EQ on the new mastering better; dynamic range is not much different between the two)
    Crystal Planet (better dynamics on the new box set)
    Engines of Creation (better dynamics on the new box set)
    Strange Beautiful Music (better dynamics on the new box set; I don't have the SACD)
    Is There Love in Space? (better dynamics on the new box set)
    Super Colossal (better dynamics on the new box set)
    Professor Stachafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock (slightly better dynamics on the new box set)
    Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards (slightly better dynamics on the new box set)
    Unstoppable Momentum (better dynamics on the new box set)

For "Time Machine", I have to do some more listening.

The early albums have good EQ and a good transfer, but there a bit too loud for my taste. I understand the approach to give all albums a similar dynamic range, but when this means a loss of 3-4 dB in dynamic range compared to the original mastering, it is not something I usually prefer.

All in all, I can really recommend this set, it will give you a nice sonic upgrade on about 2/3 of the albums. The bonus disc is also a nice addition.

dobyblue likes this.
  6. Russell Weston

Btw, the chrome dome is being reissued for Christmas, so if you don't have it, get it before it's gone...again

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I agree with Roland's comment, except on Engines of Creation and Strange Beautiful Music. Both SACDs have a nice dynamic range..... DR11-15.

8. Claus, I was aware of the SACD's being nice, but unfortunately, I don't have them, and they are hard to find/expensive.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

For those who have had this for awhile, how is the bonus disc? What is it like?

10. Russell Weston

a lot of it is stuff that we have seen before, like Slick and the 8 Steps. some of it is remixes of tunes that you know. Your mileage may vary. They are all remastered versions unique to this box set.

11. JonathanFromTexas

JonathanFromTexas New Member

Mr. Cuniberti - Looking forward to hearing these re-masters after deciding the CDs will suffice over the HD Tracks for my listening needs. Is the Surfing re-master in the box set different than the 20th Anniversary release?
    Thanks for so diligently working on these and for being so cool when I met you & Joe in 1987.
    On a complete side note, here's a quick Joe & John story that shows what kind of people they are:

I was a rabid fan of Not of this Earth when it came out. I had just turned 16 years old and a beginner guitar player - this album was my mantra. Everything I though I knew of guitar and music from the Beatles to Van Halen, Blackmore to Yngwie had been rewritten in 39 minutes. There were no limits and it was the most perfect album title ever. I was visiting my sister at Berkeley for Easter in 1987 and mentioned to my Mom that Joe Satriani lived in Berkeley. She convinced me to call him and sure enough there was a listing in the white pages. I got an answering machine of a man with a strange accent but left a message anyway raving about NOTE and how I would wear the tape out while delivering pizzas. I didn't expect anything to come of it but when we got back to the Holiday Inn Emeryville that night, there was a message from Joe Satriani. I called him back and asked how long I was in town. Joe then invited me to Hyde Street Studios the next day. When I got buzzed in and went upstairs at Hyde Street Studios, John Cuniberti motioned for me to come in. I'm sure most producers would not want a 16 year old kid in their control room, but John was very gracious. I might as well have been listening to Jimmy Page in the booth with John Paul Jones behind the board at this point. The sound coming through the monitors was magical and unlike anything I'd heard before - as revolutionary as NOTE. How could one person with one guitar create this I thought as I was hearing Joe lay down what would become 'Midnight' on Surfing with the Alien. Joe finished a take and came out to talk with me - asking me how long I'd been playing, handing me his guitar so I could play for him and giving me a few pointers on technique and practicing. We talked about Houston and Joe's favorite restaurant at the time, Atchafalaya. I still have the NOTE picks he gave me and I have not forgotten you guys taking the time that day. Thanks so much Joe & John for an unbelievable memory to go along with a lifetime of awesome, mind blowing music.

Jonathan From Texas

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
    Sentient Six, SKean, BGLeduc and 12 others like this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's a real cool story, Jonathan. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

SKean likes this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Awhile back I downloaded the new masterings of "Crystal Planet" and "Is There Love In Space?" from HD Tracks and found both an improvement over my original CD's. Nice job, John!

I've been hoping the rest would become available, and now I see HD Tracks has Unstoppable Momembum, Black Swans, Professor Satch..., etc. They've got the whole catalog now. But its not clear to me that the three most recent releases are the new masterings by John Cuniberti. They don't bare the mastering notes from him that the older releases do. And even the release date (for Unstoppable and Black Swans) is the original year rather than 2014, like the other albums. Professor does show a 2014 release date, but doesn't have the mastering notes from John. Anyone happen to get these or know if they are indeed the new masterings used for the box set and sold on the USB or are they hi-rez versions of the original masterings?

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Fantastic story!

SKean likes this.
  15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

What a great story! Nice one.

SKean likes this.
  16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that, Jonathan.

17. agentalbert

Would someone who has the CD box set of the Chrome Dome either post or PM me a DR log for "Professor Satchifunkilus"? I just bought it from HD Tracks, and I'd like to confirm they are using John's mastering and not a hi-rez version of the original. They show a 2014 copyright date, but don't have the mastering notes from him listed like they do for almost all of the other Satriani releases.

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

DR log from the box set CD
    Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2015-05-01 00:03:29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Joe Satriani / The Complete Studio Recordings (Disc 12): Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR7       -0.43 dB    -8.98 dB      4:38 01-Musterion
    DR7       -0.28 dB    -8.39 dB      5:07 02-Overdriver
    DR8       -0.61 dB    -9.52 dB      3:27 03-I Just Wanna Rock
    DR9        0.00 dB   -10.22 dB      4:48 04-Professor Satchafunkilus
    DR7       -0.42 dB    -8.81 dB      5:57 05-Revelation
    DR7       -0.43 dB    -9.07 dB      5:49 06-Come on Baby
    DR8       -0.15 dB   -10.00 dB      5:43 07-Out of the Sunrise
    DR8       -0.03 dB    -9.49 dB      4:16 08-Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat
    DR7       -0.67 dB    -8.70 dB      7:42 09-Asik Vaysel
    DR7       -0.61 dB    -9.96 dB      6:53 10-Andalusia

Number of tracks:  10
    Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   16
    Bitrate:           916 kbps
    Codec:             FLAC
    ================================================================================

19. agentalbert

Thanks, Ham Sandwich. That does match what I get, so I guess they do have the right mastering. I was hoping it would be a bit more dynamic than that, but I haven't had a chance to listen, other than sampling a few tracks on the computer. I'm getting a new Sony music server for my main system in a few weeks, and am looking forward to playing everything through that.

20. agentalbert

If you have a chance and don't mind, I'd be curious to see the logs on Unstoppable Momentum and Black Swans from the box too. I'm downloading Not Of This Earth and Surfing from HD Tracks as I type. Really looking forward to listening to those albums again.

21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Code:
    log date: 2015-05-01 10:09:15

Analyzed: Joe Satriani / The Complete Studio Recordings (Disc 13): Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards

DR7       -0.18 dB    -8.42 dB      3:54 01-Premonition
    DR8       -0.02 dB    -8.96 dB      4:50 02-Dream Song
    DR8       -0.04 dB    -9.24 dB      5:10 03-Pyrrhic Victoria
    DR8        0.00 dB    -9.29 dB      6:13 04-Light Years Away
    DR12      -6.39 dB   -20.81 dB      0:58 05-Solitude
    DR8       -0.31 dB    -9.66 dB      3:47 06-Littleworth Lane
    DR8       -0.16 dB   -10.36 dB      5:21 07-The Golden Room
    DR8        0.00 dB    -9.88 dB      4:10 08-Two Sides to Every Story
    DR9       -0.22 dB   -10.75 dB      6:29 09-Wormhole Wizards
    DR9        0.00 dB   -11.04 dB      7:44 10-Wind in the Trees
    DR8        0.00 dB    -9.16 dB      4:54 11-God Is Crying

Number of tracks:  11
    Official DR value: DR8

Bitrate:           1049 kbps
    ================================================================================

Code:
    log date: 2015-05-01 10:09:37

Analyzed: Joe Satriani / The Complete Studio Recordings (Disc 14): Unstoppable Momentum

DR7       -0.60 dB    -8.54 dB      5:14 01-Unstoppable Momentum
    DR8       -0.37 dB   -10.00 dB      3:59 02-Can't Go Back
    DR8       -0.58 dB   -10.95 dB      4:44 03-Lies and Truths
    DR7       -0.87 dB    -9.32 dB      3:22 04-Three Sheets to the Wind
    DR7       -1.00 dB    -9.69 dB      1:43 05-I'll Put a Stone on Your Cairn
    DR8       -0.75 dB    -9.59 dB      4:17 06-A Door Into Summer
    DR7       -0.79 dB    -9.07 dB      4:46 07-Shine on American Dreamer
    DR7       -0.51 dB   -10.29 dB      5:11 08-Jumpin' In
    DR6       -0.75 dB    -8.98 dB      3:52 09-Jumpin' Out
    DR7       -0.71 dB   -10.31 dB      5:07 10-The Weight of the World
    DR7       -0.89 dB    -9.47 dB      2:52 11-A Celebration

Number of tracks:  11
    Official DR value: DR7

Bitrate:           889 kbps

agentalbert likes this.
  22. agentalbert

Thanks for posting those. I wrote HD Tracks to ask and they confirmed that the "Unstoppable Momemtum" and "Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards" they have are hi-rez versions of the original masters, not the 2014 remasters by John. Not sure why they didn't get the new files, but that's what they were sent, they said.

23. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

HDTracks is beginning to piss me off. There is no excuse. At the prices they charge, you shouldn't even have to ask - each and every file should have a clearly marked SOURCE. What I've done about the Satrianis is ordered the CD box set, done deal. Yes, I have most of those on original CDs, but at least I know what I am getting. It'll be interesting to compare John's mastering to the originals...

24. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

My CD set arrived, and I've been through the first three...all I can say is - thank you, John Cuniberti - it is obvious that great care was taken doing these. Very pleased, I'm following the instructions in the booklet "Turn it up and enjoy" with great success :)

Mine is the EU edition, I am also pleased with the packaging - the CD sleeves are actually wide enough AND thick enough to slide discs in easily without scratching, a no-brainer of a design which seems to widely ignored these days.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.