SCORPIONS: "Return To Forever" in February 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cmi, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I love the Scorpions. Thank goodness for Lonesome Crow thru Love at First Sting. After that unfortunately its all a joke to me. Now the're playing the Kiss Retirement Game. No funds coming from this camp. Unless AF gets to do some more SACD Releases of anything from Lonesome Crow thru Animal Magnetism.

2. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with Savage Amusement from '88. It always gets overlooked but it's a solid 80's style Scorpions lp right behind Blackout & Love At First Sting.

3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

That's an awesome avatar :)

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  4. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I heard this album twice over (unfortunately) while shopping at Recofan in Shibuya a few days ago, it sounds like a real piece of ****, but the masses will love it...

5. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I don’t really understand how you can be a Scorpions fan (Other than if you’re only a fan of 70’s Scorpions) and not like this new album. It just sounds like vintage 80’s Scorpions to me. I like it.

JulesRules and Jimmy Agates like this.
  6. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Still waiting for mine to ship from Amazon and no advance from label to review. :(

7. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

5 star customer ratings on amazon.com. The production i.e. the sound is tp notch. Melodic Scorpions style Hard Rock simply does not get any better - that late in their carreer. They lay China, Rssia, Europe, Japan and the USA in autumn. This is a work f passion and love. If only The Stones put out an album that strong, too. A fine example of a Return from retirement. Having NOT TO DO another new album has really set the creative juices in flow. And who misses the Lead from Jabs better check your ears .....
    Te best single/video by The Scorpions should convince any fan, that they are back better than before. http://www.the-scorpions.com/english/

slipkid, Jimmy Agates and jeffgt14 like this.
  8. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Got the japan import from amazon japan. Received it yesterday! Talk about fast shipping. I think it sounds great. Can't wait to to see them live this fall.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I don't need to check my ears...there are maybe 3 songs where Jabs does much of anything.
    I like a lot of the songs, and I like the production...but when you have a killer guitar player don't leave him on the sidelines!

slipkid likes this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sadly I have to agree.

I got this album in about a week ago and have listened to it about 5 times since then. Songwise I like it a LOT but I am totally shocked (& disappointed) about the absence of guitar solos. To me this (hard rock songs without guitar solos) is like pizza without cheese on it (for food I love cheese, and for music I love guitar solos).

There is actually only one song that I really even noticed a lead guitar solo per se (there are probably more but that is all that jumped out at me). I suspect this must have something to do with the producers (Martin Hansen and Mikael Nord Andersson) who also get writing credits on 8 of the 16 tracks, I guess that (solos) is not what they were shooting for. They hit the mark songwise though IMO. If only Michael Schenker could get songs this good to solo over, vocals this good, I'd be very happy (I just got Mickey's new album in the mail today, intend on spinning it next, am giving the Scorps an airing again right now as I write this).

Curveboy likes this.
  11. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

That's probably another bad result of market research, cause according to those "results" guitar solos are completely out of fashion and commercial radio stations even avoid songs with solos. Extremely sad but true....

I can only repeat myself again and again: Forbid market research when it comes to art and music !

slipkid likes this.
  12. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just picked up return to forever yesterday

14. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

First spin of Return To Forever and it wasn't leaping out as being any good! I'll give it another few spins to chew on - hope its a grower.

Wasnt too fussed on Sting In Th Tail. Thought Humanity was their strongest piece of work since Savage Amusement.

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I suppose they don't want private radio stations editing out the solos for radio play... :shrug:

16. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I liked ' Sting In The Tail', so picked this one up. Have to say, I found it all rather dull. 'Sting In The Tail' actually sounded quite fresh, but this one doesn't do anything for me at all. I think it's time for them to call it a day.

Incidentally, I also picked up Uli Jon Roth's 'Scorpions Revisited' that someone else mentioned earlier in this thread. If you can get used to the fact that the singer is not Klaus Meine, the new song arrangements are fantastic, in my opinion. Uli has breathed new life into the songs, which is no mean feat given that these were great songs in the first place! I would definitely recommend this album for all fans of Roth-era Scorpions.

slipkid likes this.
  17. ifihadafish

Roth plays a local rock club here in Northern Ireland at the end of May - so looking forward to that one.

18. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Wow! Buying tickets now. If I had missed this I would have gone mad :) Cheers for the heads up.

ifihadafish likes this.
  19. ifihadafish

No probs Bodicus - no Dublin gig for him then I take it?

20. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

No, unfortunately. Only a short hop up to Belfast then the bus from Katy Daly`s there and back so handy enough really. Never thought I`d ever get to see him live so I`m a happy camper either way :)

ifihadafish likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I picked that up as well, just listened to it yesterday as a matter of fact. It's really good. The singer is OK, not Klaus but miles better than UJR. Uli might sing on one song? I can't remember actually, was listening to it while working on some things...

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i didn't notice the lack of guitar solos until after it was mentioned here :eek:

JulesRules and Curveboy like this.
  23. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Me neither.

24. kethdredd

kethdredd Forum Resident

Sting in the Tail was such a good disc. I need to listen to the new one some more, but at first glance there aren't many memorable songs on this one.

25. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

The US release in September (!!) has all 19 tracks....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.