Anybody else own Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Get some balance, buy some Tannoys and enjoy a Scottish one!

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Update. The tweeter is held together by three little plastic tabs. I snapped it back together so it is probably ok. I'll probably upgrade the drivers and crossover one of these days.

They will go in my home office after temp duty in the living room.

3. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

So, what EXACTLY does the finish look like? Like this?[​IMG]

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'd colour-correct that photo a bit (mine seem redder), but yeah those are Dentons.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I will check out some Tannoy bookshelf speakers. Any suggestions?

6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Yeah pretty much but slightly darker richer .

7. wim1983

wim1983 Well-Known Member

I got a pairs, with rare walnut color[​IMG]

Nice? xD

Daedalus likes this.
  8. wim1983

What's solid state integrated amp best for? Currently I'm using Marantz PM6005

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I bet the 6005 sounds wonderful with Dentons!

10. wim1983

Well, the sound balance and control is better than my previous Wharfedale Diamond 122, though the Marantz and Denton both just bought for weeks, so I feel the sound not open and airy enough, gona make it keep singing xD

11. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Well, I finally got things hooked up. Used Marantz Model 140 amp, Model 3200 preamp, fed by a Cambridge DacMagic. Sounds pretty good. Doesn't have extreme detailed treble but the little things go pretty deep. Haven't been listening to them for too long but the one word I can describe this system is smooth. So, after my bitching and moaning about build quality, the tweeter just snapped back together and I figure these sound pretty good for $500. However, I sold my Vandersteen 1C's for $600 and they can't touch the Vandy's. But alas, I am happy.

Daedalus and jupiterboy like this.
  12. Daedalus

I am very happy with mine connected to my Quicksilver 60 monos and pre-amp.

Dmann201 likes this.
  13. DonC

DonC Forum Resident

My Dentons were on loan to a local friend for a couple months and are back home now, re-connected to the Audio Research amp in the main system for the time being. First re-impression is the ease-ability of listening; they're just so darn polite. What can seem like a slightly rolled-off upper response and a general lack of air and spaciousness also seems to translate to a gentle, polite overall presentation that is not fatiguing at above-moderate volumes or on less-than-outstanding recordings (most especially with respect to upper-freq. sins).

14. coopmv

I am now focusing on getting either the McIntosh MA 7900 or MC 275 for my study and will not bother with the Dentons ...

15. Daedalus

Better yet-get both!

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Sorry, I missed this before. The present DC4 range aren't really suitable for bookshelf siting but work very well in stands with a good 2-foot clearance at least from the wall behind.

In a small room, the DC4 is disarmingly good especially for the price paid. Very detailed, very clear, but bright and conveys the music beautifully.

I've been delighted by mine since I bought them in 2011. Real wood finish, none of this MDF and veneer business either! If your room is a little bigger then the larger cabinet of the DC6 might be good. If you are looking at that size, then the Cambridge Audio Aero 2 or the current Aeromax 2 would be worth looking at too.

17. coopmv

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to look into the dealership for Tannoy. IIRC, Tannoy really does not have an extensive dealership network stateside.

18. coopmv

Unfortunately, I really do not have room for both unless I sell some of my existing audio gears. There are now five stereo systems at my house and I have quite a few audio gears in storage as well ...

19. Daedalus

I know what you mean. I have sold quite a bit of my equipment to simplify and downsize. Too box to box and ship for the eventual retirement move to warmer climes!

20. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

I got a pair of Dentons last November. VERY-happy with them. Oddly,enough, I got them for MODERN music most of all. I have a pair of Wharfedale W90's (1963), my main speakers, and I was looking for a modern speaker to augment them, something with a quicker, more-modern response, but also with the sort of high-end response that wouldn't offend the ears of those who worship the OLD Wharfedales (The W90's, by the way, are AMAZING when powered by a nice, warm tube rig).

The Dentons have very-coherent, liquidy-black mids that make them an excellent choice for modern electronic music. They're also great with funk/soul music, one of my personal favorites. They don't have the weight and dynamic slam of my W90's, but that's to be expected considering the difference in woofer-size.

By the way, this is my first day back on the Steve Hoffman forum after a 5 year hiatus over at Audiokarma (I was away for a while, so my original account got closed due to inactivity, and I was too lazy to take the time to sign up again, so I stayed at AK... I missed this place though... This is where I learned how to shop for LP's and CD's, and that info has been invaluable).

bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

How helpful is AudioKarma when it comes to vintage audio gears?

22. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I used to have 4:10 gears, and changed them to 4:56 in my Dana 60's . The Jeep crawls much better now. ;)

23. Those tweeters look like Danish Vifa tweeters, which were used back in the 80's on Paradigm speakers until they switched to an in house design, as with all their other components. I sold Paradigm back then and that was how they were assembled, by those little black plastic clips that allowed one to assemble the voice coil/front plate assembly to the magnet structure. If the same or similar design, I could see how the heavy magnet structure might want to seperate if bumped around a lot in shipping. Possibly, this was not a QC issue, rather some serious man handling while being exported to the new world.

I mention this only as I remember removing the tweeter clips to determine if the customer returned speakers coils were defective or burnt. FWIW, they were never defective and always burnt. But Paradigm had a very generous goodwill policy and suggested we just inform the customer of the issue and replace the tweeter anyway.

24. coopmv

Does Paradigm still assemble any speakers in Canada, i.e. the top of the line models? NAD is now part of Paradigm ...

25. I think they are all still 100% designed, manufactured and assembled here in Ontario, even the economy line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.