Star Trek: Deep Space Nine- Best Episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by greelywinger, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJH

AJH Senior Member

There were several excellent episodes on DS9, but, to me, "In the Pale Moonlight" is the real standout.

2. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

DS9 was always a turd compared to TNG. I tried my damnedest to get into it, but it was always so boring to me. The Ferengi and Cardassians were always a boring race to me compared to the Borg and Romulans. Not even Worf could save it for me, lord knows I tried to like it. Perhaps it got better in subsequent seasons, but them always in that space station at the bar with that Ferengi........BORING.

Linger63 likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

More than several and certainly In the Pale Moonlight was one of them. That's what I love about the series, the infinite shades of gray that are explored by the characters, which makes them much more three dimensional.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You really don't know what the series as a while was all about if that's your take. There are terrible Ferengi centric episodes to be sure, but there are also excellent Ferengi based episodes and the political intrigue between the Cardassions, Dominion and Federation is the true core of the show as a whole.

Encuentro likes this.
  5. jackson123

Well, I did give this series a fair chance. I loved TNG so was excited about a new Star Trek series and had high hopes for it. I honestly can't remember a single episode from DS9 that was exciting at all. Sure, TNG had plenty of clunker episodes as well, but I was always left with a cold feeling from this show.

Linger63 likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If you're predisposed to giving it a another try (I was initially reluctant too), I would make the observation that season 1 was a little unfocused story wise (not unlike TNG's first couple of seasons, but I still think much better than TNG s1-2 because the characters knew who they were).

Things pick up after that with some terrific Garek (the 'simple' tailor) episodes, Odo's origin story, power hungry Bajor religious clerics and later with multi part/arc Dominion episodes. You can generally skip the Ferengi/Grand Nagus (and Lwaxana Troi) episodes if you like, but I must admit some of them are quite funny and insightful especially as they allow Quark to develop beyond the typical Ferengi cartoon stereotype. It's quite a ride.

7. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Enjoyed "Captive Pursuit"

8. jackson123

I am willing to give it another chance. Which episodes do you recommend? Specific titles please. I actually do remember one episode now where the two female members share a lesbian kiss. Who could forget that.:laugh:

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Deesky likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Season one had quite a few standout episodes which I can list for you. But bear in mind that while some episodes may be seen as standalone, nevertheless, there is a chronology to it all which means that if seeing them out of sequence, you are likely to miss many subtle character moments or ongoing plot points which add richness and uderstanding to any episode.

With that caveat, I would have to say the standout episode from season 1 would be Duet (which is actually towards the end of the season). Other highly rated episodes include:

* Captive Pursuit
    * Vortex
    * In the Hands of the Prophets

These are thought provoking episodes, so don't expect too many space battles, etc. Most of that stuff occurs in the latter seasons.

Those were the mirror universe episodes (again, in the the latter seasons). The kiss was a fine gimmick, however, I'm a little ambivalent about the mirror universe episodes (there were quite a few). On the one hand they were fun and generally played for laughs, but they overstayed their welcome and the constant hamming by bad-Kira, etc, became tiresome (kiss not withstanding).

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ha! I've been using the same resource for years, even made comments there (under a different nick). I'm in good agreement with Jammer's analysis, though not always (sometimes I feel the opposite).

Encuentro likes this.
  12. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I agree with you. I can still remember when "In the Pale Moonlight" was initially broadcast- it really impressed me because here was a Starfleet officer doing what he felt was necessary to turn things around. He wasn't just following the Federation way of doing things. Yes, DS9 also had numerous excellent episodes along with the bad episodes every series has, but as I look back on it, I personally do like it much more than TNG.

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I believe that Jackson123 was referring to Rejoined in which Dax rekindles a romance with a woman she was married to when she was a man. It's a very good episode.
    http://www.jammersreviews.com/st-ds9/s4/rejoined.php

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's been very helpful to me in skipping over a few episodes here and there. Regardless of how good the show is, in a 25 or so episode season, there are going to be a few clunkers. I recently skipped over The Muse which featured Lwaxana Troi.

15. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I finished watching season 7 of TNG last night on bluray. Tonight I watched DS9's The Emissary on DVD and it did not look good in comparison. Is there any chance DS9 will be released in bluray? It's my favorite series.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The chances are very slim, even though the Okudas were pimping the possibility by urging people to buy the TNG blurays, ostensibly equating profits from those to the likelihood of doing DS9.

The truth is that it would be a lot more expensive to do DS9 than it was to do TNG. There is far more vfx to be redone for those epic space battles, etc. And as there is probably a smaller fan base for DS9 compared to TNG, coupled with higher costs, it seems unlikely that it will be done. But I'm with you, I'd love to see it done too.

rswitzer and Quark1134 like this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I finished up season 5 last night. A Call to Arms was the best season finale in the series so far in my opinion. On to season 6 tonight which I've heard is one of the best.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yup, I can't think of a single bad episode from season 6, indeed, they're all excellent.. Even The Magnificent Ferengi episode, while lightweight, is a lot of fun. And you'll love Far Beyond the Stars, which is even more fun and a real standout. But make no mistake, the season isn't just about fun and games, it's mostly seriously meaty stuff with great performances all around. Enjoy!

Encuentro likes this.
  19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm a Trekker/Trekkie through and through, from day one I was watching "The Man Trap" on NBC, stuck through all of the animated shows and movies, taped every episode of every series, own all of the series on DVD (streamed ENTERPRISE), and yet I cannot bring myself to watching DS9 Season Six's "Profit And Lace". It remains the only "canon" STAR TREK episode that I've not seen. Somehow, the promo picture of Quark in female dress just doesn't grab me. But yes, the rest of Season Six of DS9 is among the best.

Harry

Deesky likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I must have erased that one from my mind. Okay, I concede, that one was a stinker!!

HGN2001 likes this.
  21. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I just watched season 1 final episode "In the Hands of the Prophets". The story is more timely now than it was 20+ years ago!

Encuentro likes this.
  22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

I just block that out and think of Leeta when watching the episode.

Darryl

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Leeta was certainly cute, but realistically, she didn't really add very much to the series.

24. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Leeta, Vic Fontaine, any Ferengi that isn't Quark (though Nog has a great episode in season 7), Ezri Dax, Cassidy Yates... all of these people were just noise. When you have a great regular cast and awesome recurring villains like Dukat and Kai Winn, I would just get annoyed when any of these silly people took up screen time. I can appreciate that having more people can make DS9- the place- feel more lived-in, but I don't even think it accomplishes that.

My wife and I last night watched "Penumbra," the first episode of the nine part (!) finale. So as I was reminded, the crew of DS9 took time, in the middle of a galactic war, to recreate Ocean's 11 with holograms, go galavanting about in a parallel universe, and play baseball with Vulcans.
    Let's just say I'm thankful the few modern shows I watch these days only have like 13 episodes a season. As Justified is wrapping up, I feel every episode is worth watching and I won't have to deal with that crap.

Trek, in general, is the best when it's good and the worst when it's bad. It's the prog-rock of TV.

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not sure I totally agree. Ezri Dax was a replacement/continuation of a major, regular character and her 'predicament' lent a lot of material for exploration in the final season.

Similarly Cassidy Yates served a useful purpose as a semi-regular cast member and would become a very important influence for Sisko's actions at the end.

Vic Fontaine was a change of pace but was also important in several episodes that dealt with weighty issues associated with Nog and some very fun episodes, while continuing to explore the Trek themes of holodeck/android personhood status.

I'd agree that many non-Quark Ferengi were a bit disposable, but there was a core which wasn't, like Nog and Rom.

So, compared with all those contributions, I'd still place Leeta in the superfluous category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.