D'Angelo - "Black Messiah" (15-Dec-2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whisperinwind21, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Nice reviews above. I think I reached a state of spiritual nirvana during 'One Mo Gin'. Hearing the Black Messiah material live has given me an added appreciation of the album - now if only the vinyl would hurry up...

fourfeathers and scotth like this.
  2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

[Stockholm]

Haha...look at the security guy at 1:25...he was loving it >>>

P.S.: Pino's bass lines...oh yeeeeeeah!

3. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

It's surreal, as seriously I have never seen a security guy enjoying anyone's show. D'Angelo's music and vibe tears down all walls. :cool:

4. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

I look forward to potential North American tour dates to put your claim to the test. Right now, I have the rankings as follows as far as touring bands go:

1. Prince (Hit n' Run Tour - Setlist)
    2. Prince (Musicology Tour - Setlist)
    3. Justin Timberlake + TN Kids (20/20 Experience Tour - Setlist)

It is going to be hard to match the sound, tightness, and versatility displayed by these 3 bands. While the material certainly helped (see setlists, and imagine killer arrangements of it all), they were straight up, melt your face off, don't give you a choice but dance your tail off for 3 hours experiences, but I look forward to others trying to rise to the occasion.

5. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Yeah, Prince, without doubt always delivers impeccable shows, no question about it but come on, the ex-Nsync guy? I acknowledge his merits and talent but I would never put Timberlake, his live output or albums to the same league with Prince or D'Angelo. Clearly, he has also evolved after all these years, but regardless which top musicians he manages to book, his perfect dance moves, those Pharrell coated songs and style is just not doing it for me. Still not a serious artist, who sounds original and true enough to be able to deliver magic. A great entertainer but not in that caliber as the above mentioned artists. On the other hand I hope D'Angelo do embarks on this long-due North American tour but strictly not for more than a 20-25 date long one to avoid exhaustion to reappear again.

6. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

You need to rethink this IMO. Please turn it up and watch til the end. Just a taste of the vibe this band creates...

Edit: and you might know some of the names...

Adam Blackstone
    Elliot Ives
    Mike Scott
    Eric Smith
    Dontae Winslow
    Sean Erick
    Justin Gilbert
    Brian Frasier-Moore
    Daniel Jones
    Kevin William
    Terry Santiel
    Leon Silva

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  7. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Any news on who cut and pressed the vinyl? I have pre-ordered both - the EU and US version.

8. amoergosum

[Amsterdam]

9. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I got a notice today from my eBay seller that the vinyl "has been released" and is going to start shipping Friday, March 6th, 2015. I hope so. I'm excited.

10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Wait - I thought Kanye was the Black Messiah. How many Black Messiah's can there be? And what's Drake? Is he Moses or John the baptist?

LavidDange likes this.
  11. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

He explained it somewhere that the title wasn't meant to suggest he's the black messiah, more that anyone could be (well, if you're black at least). So there can be about as many as you like ;)

rainspainplain likes this.
  12. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

My pre-order (from the official site) shipped today!

MisterBritt and Naughty Chord like this.
  13. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I got shipment notification yesterday. Supposed to be here Friday! (I ordered from his site...)

MisterBritt and mantis4tons like this.
  14. djej

djej Forum Resident

I saw 2 of those 3 (Musicology & 20/20), and both were outstanding. Totally agree with you about the TN Kids. They were seriously setting that place on fire. Props to JT for bringing the live element to his last couple of tours when he could just as easily perform to a backing track and make more money for himself. The 20/20 show was outstanding.

Back on topic, really hoping D'Angelo makes his way to my town on a tour date. Would love to see him perform again.

ghostnotes likes this.
  15. djej

djej Forum Resident

And I think this video speaks for itself. What a performance!

ghostnotes likes this.
  16. amoergosum

17. amoergosum

18. amoergosum

19. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Seems the tour got to its peak in Amsterdam. The small venue just makes up for it even more and the crowd there is the most appreciative.

The bottom line, without taking Timberlake's merits away, there's more soul, fire and truthfulness to a given D'Angelo or Prince song or performance than an entire Timberlake show. Justin is for the teens, the above mentioned legends for the serious listener.

20. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

I like all three artists and I'm not a teen. To my ears JT's 20/20 Experience is better than anything that Prince has released in a very long time.

21. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

In order not to hijack this thread for something utterly ridiculous than what it is called for, I leave it at that. If someone enjoys a showbiz clown and a serious artist just the same, than there's really no point to argue with that.

22. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

It doesn't sound like you've listened to much of JT's recent work, or seen him perform. He's hardly a "showbiz clown."

23. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

True, I haven't listened much of JT's recent output but obviously got a taste of it and it was enough. I was never on full-hate mode against him but rather listen to Prince's or Gaye's or D'Angelo's falsetto than his. Obviously. On the other hand, in 30 years time I doubt JT will be amongst the 5-10 most influental artist of ANY genre (besides boy-bands) and that's what I wanted to point out. His caliber is below the above mentioned artists. I have nothing against audiences rocking out during their shows but elevating his status above his accomplishments (besides legendary musicians) is a disgrace to those who really delivered and for decades. I'm not falling for something he finally committed himself to, his recent tour or stage antics. It was about time to do something worthy after spending 20 years in the business releasing worthless teenage crap. Still he has a long way to go to prove himself to become serious and unique enough and he has the potential but first he has to prove it. In my eyes he just started to go down this road as touring with Jay-Z and Aguilera in 2000s wasn't actually about art, let's be honest.

24. amoergosum

Yep >>>

"mzkendrafoster
    We rocked one of my favorite venues in the world so hard 2 nights in a row that I felt like they needed to roll me out on this when it was over, ha! #paradiso #iamsterdam #dangelo&thevanguard #blackmessiah #secondcomingtour #queenofspades"

[​IMG]

25. amoergosum

Fantastic performance >>>

[Utrecht]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.