The Sound: From The Lion's Mouth re-released on CD this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trevor_Bartram, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm amazed that mine arrived perfect. Got it today. It was just in a cardboard box no bubble wrap. Hope my Pretenders sets arrive without being messed up.

bleachershane likes this.
  2. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Definitely is, the stereo master tapes are apparently long gone and on close inspection I seem to remember hearing a few telltale clicks at points where it would be difficult to digitally clean them, it's most definitely a better attempt than the original Renascent reissue. I'll need to relisten to confirm what I heard a few months ago. Been a while since I listened to 'Jeopardy'.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. Interesting. It sounds much better than the Renascent which I found a copy of for comparison. The remaster is slightly more compressed than the original version.

4. bleachershane

They are indeed all a bit more compressed, but there were definitely audio gains made elsewhere over the Renascent issues. A shame the masters weren't safely stored for much of their material, but nevertheless glad I've been introduced to a great band that had completely passed me by!

5. Wonder if they used tapes for all the albums on the second set?
    It sounds a bit compressed as well but not horribly so and still listenable.

6. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Just discovered that both "Heads & Hearts", "In the Hothouse", "Propaganda" and "Shock of Daylight" are up on Spotify.

manicpopthrill and bleachershane like this.
  7. bleachershane

As far as I heard from Mike Dudley I believe, the masters were shipped by the owner of Statik records to Adrian but as certain paperwork wasn't filled in they were held by customs and excise and when they weren't collected they were unfortunately destroyed or lost.

8. Too bad. I wonder what the source for these are. If needle drops they are good.

9. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

But it was an actual box? Not a heavy card stock envelope?

10. No, it is in a box like the previous set. A very small one slightly smaller than the Robyn Hitchcock boxes but the same size as the previous set. It is heavy cardboard stock so it withstood the journey well although given y experience recently, I'm surprised it wasn't dinged or damaged.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  11. Good opportunity to sample their music. Hopefully people will find out about them.

cc-- likes this.
  12. bleachershane

I read it somewhere but can't remember the link, but they were needle drops, if I'm right they stated they were from pristine vinyl. I'll see if I can find the link...

13. bleachershane

Took a bit of Googling but I found it on the official Sound-related website in their forums... Take a read: www.brittleheaven.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25

14. manicpopthrill

Wow, thanks for the link. I love this comment from Mike Dudley, regarding the first set:

"It has sold so far, wildly in excess of expectation with absolutely minimal publicity."

cc-- and bleachershane like this.
  15. bleachershane

Good to know that the first set did so well that they released the second. For the preorder price it was an absolute bargain and even now that the price has gone up slightly it's still a great buy. I really commend the band and Adrian's father for not letting the band's back catalogue disappear.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  16. zikarus

zikarus Well-Known Member

Nice finding - thank you.

Has anyone found a place already where these sets could be downloaded (as flac files) as stated in the first post in the Sounds forum at brittleheaven?

17. manicpopthrill

I had no idea that Adrian's solo albums were on bandcamp. The Amsterdam Tapes are just incredible. It's truly his lost recording, and back story on it leaves me in awe.

I wish we could get a couple of boxed sets of his post-Sound work.

http://adrianborland.bandcamp.com/

18. bleachershane

Cheers for this, I didn't realise his stuff on there either and I have been meaning to delve into his solo work!
    Has your box set turned up yet?

19. manicpopthrill

Haven't ordered yet. Was going to order from Amazon US this morning, but it's out of stock!

20. bleachershane

Ahh right, I thought you'd already ordered. Finally got around to ripping the full set to my desktop and taken a listen to "In The Hothouse" and "Shock of Daylight". Impressed so far, "Golden Soldiers" a little more crisp, a little more air and space. If it's mastered from vinyl they've done a bloody good job!

21. manicpopthrill

It was good to see what Mike Dudley had to say about the whole effort: a pro job from start to finish, whereas the Renascent reissues were really just a fan's labor of love.

22. bleachershane

Can't fault the Renascent efforts simply because they got The Sound back out there and back on the shelves.
    So glad I own both these box sets now and happy to support those putting them together. When they know the demand is there we might even get some more!

23. manicpopthrill

Have you heard anything about why "Through and Through" didn't make this set? I mean, it's not a great song, but it's still worthy of being included.

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen likes this.
  24. bleachershane

Interesting, not heard of that one before. It's not an awful song on the other hand, perhaps there was no better quality source for it available to Mike/Edsel? Really not sure. Any ideas when this track was recorded?

25. manicpopthrill

I'm guessing it's late period Sound, probably around the time of Thunder Up. As you say, there may not have been suitable source material in order to include.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.