Anyone else out there discovering and becoming addicted to "Downton Abbey"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thermionic Dude, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't see this show going out on a sombre note with the family losing everything in the crash of '29 and having to sell the house.

Plus I'm not sure why anyone would expect that to happen, when the show's made it a point that they're one of the few estates to modernize so that they can survive (which the real-life Highclere Castle also did and is why they're able to film there).

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I don't think it will have a definitive ending. It will probably wrap up with a Christmas special where the surviving family members and staff get together one final time.

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Season 4 lost me, but I thinkI'm gonna wiki it and start watching season 5

4. DreadPikathulhu

I would be perfectly happy if the Bates' had a daughter named Norma and moved to America to open a small motel on the Oregon coast (though the time period would work out better if they opened it in California, on the road from Phoenix). Lady Edith could be interesting if they focused on her writing and publishing and being a single parent in the time period, but please, no more moping around!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    bluejeanbaby and enocaster like this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I would hate to see that, but it seems inevitable. The overarching theme of the series is the gradual erosion and end of the sort of estate lifestyle that the Crawleys enjoyed, so it seems that the loss of the estate can be the only true ending of the series. And the '29 crash would be the obvious event that makes everything fall apart.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Actually WWII was when most of the great estates were split up and sold off, or worse, demolished.

Fellowes has openly stated that they don't want to take the show into WWII because of that fact.

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yes, which is why I didn't postulate WWII as the end of the series. It's just too far into the future.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If they go too much longer, they'll have to have the android version of The Dowager Countess...

Coricama and dkmonroe like this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just read in the paper today that Maggie confirmed she's leaving after next season.

10. DreadPikathulhu

There goes our comic relief. As far as I am concerned, there are two essential characters to the show, the Dowager Countess and Miss Patmore.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. chacha

and Mary and Carson and Mrs. Hughes and Isobel and Daisy and...

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Holiday spoof with the original cast:

Part 1

Harry

chacha and Erik Tracy like this.
  13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Part 2:

14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Now I know what to post in the What did you last laugh at thread!

"Brilliant" :laugh:

15. chacha

That was fun -thanks!

Coricama likes this.
  16. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Maybe they'll move to Boston, where Branson has made a fortune in bootlegging business.

I wonder if the next season will start with Mary and Edith married to the men they met at the shooting party.

Chad

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

And miss dragging out the courtship process for a whole season or more? Never!

I just realized Branson, an Irishman, is moving to the US during prohibition. Poor bastard.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Next on DOWNTON ABBEY: Lord Grantham loses a favored pen and Lady Mary finds she is without a suitor for an entire afternoon. Intrigue abounds downstairs as the annual bake-off is compromised by a ringer brought in by the Dowager.

LivingForever likes this.
  19. chacha

That sounds great to me. As long as there's no Bates in prison

20. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

I started watching Downtown with Season 4 and am current through Season 5. Over the weekend I watched Season 1, Episode 1 for the first time - what a great time travel trip. I thought it would be boring but its simply fascinating to see the character development, especially knowing how some things turn out. What a joy to see Sybil alive, and the Dowager Countess sassy from the start. And how Daisy begins shy but you can see a flicker of independence and life that will grow later. Now that Season 5 is over, I have time to watch Seasons 1-3, looking forward to that almost more than new episodes.

Has anyone noticed there are a lot more "hand cam" shots and different camera angles in the first season? Camera work in later seasons seems sedate in comparison!

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The producers have said that the shooting style for "upstairs" (in the real castle) is all very slow-paced and smooth, with a lot of crane and dolly shots, while the style for "downstairs" (on a set) is very jerky and handheld. The downstairs portions are also much darker, while the upstairs scenes are brighter and more colorful. I don't think they changed that much. The first season was shot on an Arri D21 digital camera, but they switched to the improved Alexa with season 2 and I think the picture quality got a little sharper.

driverdrummer likes this.
  22. chacha

I love season one - my favorite of the show. Less quick cuts and less Americanized as I recall.

Coricama likes this.
  23. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I know Julian Fellowes has said next season is the end. I think a prequel would be interesting. It could start back when the 1st Lord Grantham was bequeathed the land, the building of the Abbey and a lot of interesting historical intrigue. they could introduce a whole new cast.

24. He did? I wasn't aware of this.

25. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.