What is going on with Will Smith?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AFOS, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

LOL, How many do I need to list to have a "healthy sampling". Those were just off the top of my head. Ive seen more.
    Also, when I refer to MIB, I mean I-III...and the same goes for Bad Boys. "Ali" was no prize either.

So thats 12 movies off the top of my head alone

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think he DOES have good acting chops but hasn't sought to challenge himself that often.

I saw "Focus" yesterday and it was okay - moderately enjoyable but a bit lackluster. It seemed like the same old, same old from him - he probably needs to break into something different...

mikeyt and wayneklein like this.
  3. Ok then maybe start a bad actor Will Smith thread..anyway, I personally think in the right material he's a fine actor/leading man.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think he's a rare actor who (when given the right material) can do comedy or drama well.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

No need to start a new thread. The OP wanted to know whats going on with Will Smith.

Hes a bad actor and people have finally begun to notice.

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I dunno. Liam Neeson seems - unfortunately - to have built a new career in action movies and he's older.

7. Vinyl Addict

Yeah, but he's a good actor

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Too true.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If you think he's a bad actor now, check out the first couple episodes of Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air and watch how much better he got through the run of that show.

googlymoogly likes this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

Sitcoms are full of bad actors....movies on the other hand are supposed to be reserved for the better ones

11. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Time for him to go back to music, if you ask me and re-visit DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince...

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Jeff seems to be keeping himself pretty busy with his own career these days but I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to do a reunion album/tour with Will.

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Kinda surprised there hasn't been a Fresh Prince reunion. Next year will be 20 years since the show went off the air, and 90s nostalgia is now in full swing. The time seems ripe to me.

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think now that James Avery has passed away, that isn't likely to happen. But I understand that the cast are all still in touch for the most part.

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Forgot about that. He was definitely a good straight man/foil for Will, but I think they could still put together a good one-off show without him, maybe mentioning that Uncle Phil passed away.

Here's another question though: would they get season 1-3 Vivian or season 4-6 Vivian?

16. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Does this answer your question? :)

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Ali is a really mediocre movie, but Smith was great in that role. He was nominated for an Academy award for that performance. I agree with @Oatsdad that he's a talented guy who's going for hits rather than challenging roles. I think Tom Cruise is in the same boat.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He did some pretty solid dramatic work on Fresh Prince on some of the Very Special episodes.

20. amoergosum

>>>

21. amoergosum

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Those are two great examples. That episode where Will's father comes back into his life only to abruptly leave again is pretty powerful.

23. Oatsdad

Cruise had a period where he did seem to challenge himself - stuff like 'Born on the 4th of July", "Magnolia", and the like. Even "Rain Man" forced him to stretch his legs.

He seems more in "action hero" mode over the last while, though. Maybe he - and Smith - want to use their remaining Legit Leading Man days as much as they can! :)

mikeyt likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Do TV series ever use that "on a very special episode of..." blurb anymore? I assume not - it got to be such a mocked cliche...

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Please stop writing things I agree with so easily. It scares me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.