What is going on with Will Smith?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AFOS, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Not that much anymore, but it was still a thing in the mid-90's.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They could co-headline with Marky Mark. Fortunately, Walhberg's acting career seems to have progressed pretty well.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hear that Mark hates when anyone brings up Good Vibrations or his rap career in general.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

They are huge global draws who have decided to keep making the kinds of movies that play huge globally. Even with the occasional bad step, they are better at it than almost any other current movie stars. (I'm looking at you, Nicolas Cage).

That being said, neither one is as single-mindedly focused on only taking big paycheck lead parts as Harrison Ford was at the same age.

5. DreadPikathulhu

That's a pity because I still see him and think "Marky Mark" 25 years later.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's why he doesn't want you to think about that. :)

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Smith had been pretty idle since 2008 - pre-2015, he only had 2 lead roles, and I'm not even sure "how lead" he was in "After Earth". Didn't see it, but I got the impression his kid had the main role.

Smith also did small roles - basically cameos - in "Anchorman 2" and "Winter's Tale", but otherwise, between 2008 and 2015, he stayed away from screens...

8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Jaden Smith gets first billing in After Earth, and the film was a vehicle mostly for him to try and capitalize on the success of Karate Kid. From what I've read, though, it sounds like the original concept would've made for a potentially compelling drama. Papa Smith is all about that franchise box office money.

Aside from the money, I think part of his current status has to be ego from being the biggest box office draw in the world for a stretch. He already has his Oscar nomination, so maybe he feels like he wants his legacy to be a rash of huge entertaining hits. Nothing wrong with that in theory, I suppose. Though maybe the reality is that one can do that for only so long.

9. Oatsdad

Yeah, I knew Jaden was top-billed - I'm just not sure how much screentime Will occupies. Is he a strong second-lead? Is he a small supporting role? That's what I wanted to know! :)

And based on "Seven Pounds" and "Karate Kid", I think Jaden has talent. Dunno if he was good in "AE", but I liked him in those other movies.

It seems fashionable to dismiss him as the product of nepotism but I don't agree...

10. DreadPikathulhu

I didn't see After Earth. It felt exploitative to me for a star like that to want to get his kid into the same business and not let him simply be a kid with his own interests and career.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'm not sure how one can say Smith is "all about the franchise box office money" since in his 22 year film career, the only "franchises" he has been involved in have been The Men in Black and Bad Boys films. Other than that, he has not appeared in any sequels to any of his own films.

12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

He was also in Rock of Ages as an aging rock star and I hear he's quite excellent in the role, so I think he may still have want to stretch his legs if the right role comes along. I read an interesting article a while back about how his "meltdown" was a main cause for Cruise going into action-hero-mode, as he wanted to cater to that image of himself. I really hope he and Smith branch out more often as I think they're both capable of doing great work in the right roles.

13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Well, his concept for After Earth was a huge sci-fi franchise that spawned comics, video games, more movies, toys, etc.

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some actors are made for the action type roles - Harrison made some classics. Frantic is one of my faves.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Will has the ability to make things funny that really shouldn't be very funny.

There's a scene in Independence Day where a big, tentacled (is that a word?) alien emerges from a crashed spaceship and tries to attack Will.

Will rears back and punches the alien, knocking it unconscious and yells "Welcome to Earth!". It makes me laugh just thinking about it. I think it's his delivery that makes it work.

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a great scene - he also makes a crack about having to drag his alien ass across the desert or something like that.

He's also always very entertaining when he's on Letterman,which he recently was.

17. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

He certainly missed a GREAT opportunity >>>

"Will Smith turned down the title role in Oscar-winning epic Django Unchained because director Quentin Tarantino didn't offer him "the lead".
    The Men in Black superstar was initially rumoured to be in talks to play slave Django when production on the project got underway in 2011, but the role eventually went to Jamie Foxx.
    Smith has now confirmed he was offered the part, but rejected it over concerns Christoph Waltz's bounty hunter character was the better role.
    He tells Entertaiment Weekly, "Django wasn't the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead!... I was like, 'No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!'"
    Waltz went on to win a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role as Dr King Schultz, but Smith insists he is not bitter about missing out on a part in the film.
    He adds, "I thought (the movie) was brilliant. Just not for me."

Source:
    http://www.3news.co.nz/entertainmen...own-django-unchained-2013032610#axzz3TURfB7Zg

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He also turned down the role of Neo in The Matrix to do Wild Wild West.

19. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

marke likes this.
  20. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

IMHO, the only true dud was "Wild Wild West". "Bad Boys" was bad but bad in the way most modern action flicks are. I liked "Hitch" and the rest of the movies on your list.

Different strokes for different folks. :bdance:

Vinyl Addict and mikeyt like this.
  21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So he's getting divorced?

22. Oatsdad

:confused:

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

AW HELL NAW! :)

I'm reasonably sure he's very much in love with his wife, and vice-versa.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Looks like it was just a rag rumor. Sorry.

25. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

MIB - Great series
    I am legend - excellent
    Independence Day - gets air time each and every independence day so people must be watching
    Bad Boys - very popular. I wasn't a fan, but it made quite a bit of money
    Wild wild west - interesting and funny (although i don't know if it did well)

You my friend just love to argue :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.