Question for Okki Nokki users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marko K, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Not in my experience before the pads need changing.

raferx likes this.
  2. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the latest Okki Nokki version and the mat is not stuck on the platter, its just wrapped around it and can be removed easily (and I have removed it - once). There is a chance it might stretch though (after multiple removals).

I now also have tried different solutions to find replacements for the original velvet strips and the mofi record brush replacement pads seem to work nicely though they are sometimes too short (if there is very little deadwax) and they seem to wear out faster.

3. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

How many LPs are you cleaning? Didn't you just get the Okki?
    I just ordered replacement Okki velvet strips, but I've cleaned about 200+ LPs...

4. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

It's not permanent on mine either. It easily lifts off for cleaning and easily slips back on.

5. Marko K

Yeah, I just bought the thing. I have more than a 1000 albums to clean, most of them double records. The first original strips were on the edge when I had cleaned about 70 albums (140 records). I make 2,5-3 spins.

6. David B.

David B. Forum Resident

Interesting discussion.

I have the prior version Okki Nokki, which I bought new in 2014 from a local hi-fi shop that still had a few left in its warehouse.

I like the machine a lot. The turntable motor makes quite a bit of mechanical noise when spinning clockwise, but it has never bothered me since it's not an audio component.

I have cleaned approximately 400 albums, and my velvet strips are still like new. I use Audio Intelligent Formula #6 one-step cleaner, and allow approximately 2.5 to 3 rotations when vacuuming a side.

When I'm done with a cleaning session, I remove the vacuum tube, lightly brush the velvet strips with a clean, soft toothbrush just to raise the nap a bit, and let the strips air-dry thoroughly (with the tube upside-down and the strips facing up to facilitate evaporation).

I have purchased a set of Disc Doctor replacement velvet strips from Acoustic Sounds, but I have yet to feel the need to mount them.

--David B.

sound chaser and Robert C like this.
  7. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Thanks for the help! Then I'll remove it for cleaning :). It doesn't matter if it would stretch a bit since mine is a tiny bit to small so the outer edges goes up a bit.

How many of you bought the lid? I did not but might do. Not sure if it helps that much though. It doesn't seem to get that dirt since I use it rather often.

8. David B.

David B. Forum Resident

I bought the lid, but I got a great deal on the package of RCM + lid. Had I not gotten a deal, I would have been resentful that: (1) the lid was not included with the cleaner, and (2) the lid was priced as high as it was.

Having used the Okki Nokki for a while now, I see no reason (aside from aesthetics) why you could not just place a soft cloth or towel over the RCM when not in use.

--David B.

9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've had my Okki Nokki for 3 years now and I'm very happy with it. It's the current model design but mine (a white one) was made in Germany and has the "old" metal vacuum tube.

A tip about cleaning the platter; I use an adhesive lint roller to keep the platter clean. I gently roll the platter before putting the record on it, it always works perfectly and keeps the platter very clean. IMHO one never have to remove the rubber mat of the metal platter if it's cleaned as described. In my experience; using the lint roller is really an effective and easy way of keeping the platter perfectly clean without any problems. Please give it a try, I honestly believe that you all Okki Nokki users out there too are going to like it. :righton:

I also use a soft toothbrush to keep the velvet strips in good condition, I use the tootbrush between every LP side to keep the strips as clean as possible. I believe I've cleaned 200+ records and the original velvet strips still works perfectly.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  10. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

There is not risk that adhesive from roller is stuck on the platter and gets onto the record?

11. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've never had any problems with this, for me it has worked and works perfectly. The platter is always kept absolutely free from dust this way. I use a washable lint roller, when the roller gets full of dust particles I clean it with lukewarm water. After that it's as new again.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  12. David B.

David B. Forum Resident

I also use a lint roller to clean my platter before and after each cleaning session. I use an adhesive-type roller, with peel-off, disposable sheets.

It leaves absolutely no residue on the platter, and thus nothing transfers to the record being cleaned.

--David B.

dianos likes this.
  13. Marko K

Has anyone tried to flatten records using Okki Nokki? I mean records that are just dished, not warped. I had a Joni Mitchell 180g vinyl which was super dished, after being under the clamp for about a week, the dishing is about 90% gone. Will it go back to its initial shape in one week? And what do you guys think is the platter flat enough?

Im obviously not cleaning records all the time and I have the Okki Nokki cover, so this method seems to work for me.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have reduced warps by clamping a record overnight on my deck so should work on Okki nokki - may partially go back at least. Depends on record, temperature etc. I have also weighed down badly warped records with a pile of books for weeks without effect.

15. Marko K

Pile of books have never helped me either, I have always felt that it might do some groove damage also if I put too much weight (record has to be definitely deep cleaned first).

16. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

One of the strips on my vacuum tube is coming loose, but it's not ready to be changed yet. I've not had the machine for long, do you just re stick the strips with super glue?

17. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

@robertzombie

Are you using alcohol based liquid? If so I'd suggest changing to another one not containing it since it release the adhesive. Normally when the pad dries up you can re-attach it. I would not use super glue.

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

No, i'm using the okki Nokki fluid :)

19. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

20. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

If I had that problem on my Okki I would change the loose vacuum tube strip, as mentioned above they're not that expensive and to stay safe I definitely would go for a new one.

21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

What sort of glue should I use, or are the strips themselves adhesive?

22. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've the original strips from Okki Nokki and they're self- adhesive, I'm not sure about the ones from Moth though...

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes they are. They have an adhesive underside. Peel away the paper and stick on. Since you are in the UK you should be able to get replacements pretty easily, especially via ebay. If it were me I would just replace them if they're coming unglued rather than mess around with super glue as GyroSE suggested.

24. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Hmmmmm...I never suggested anything involving super glue....rather the opposite.....anyhow buy new ones and throw the defective strip away....

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I went back and read my post and realised I should have phrased that differently! Easily misread.

What I should've wrote was: If it were me, I'd do as GyroSE suggested and replace them rather than mess around with super glue :)

GyroSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.