live albums from bad tours?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There is a Long Beach KBFH as well. Unless the LA recording you refer to is LB.

Last Concert in Japan shows them on a bad night iirc. But it was said to get a remix which helped things. I've not heard it.

Frittenköter and zen like this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

But an amazing album, anyway.

jonathan likes this.
  3. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Indeed very true.

4. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Having enjoyed "Live at the Rainbow '74" for the past few months I'm bewildered that they didn't release this back in the day. As much as I love Live Killers, it pales in comparison.

jay.dee and longaway like this.
  5. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

"
    live albums from bad tours?"

Just got done listening to the forthcoming Van Halen Tokyo samples. Oh dear.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Like Jerry Lewis?

7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The Dylan & The Dead album. Bad tour, worse album.

Rich C, warewolf95 and joelee like this.
  8. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

we're not talking about what it was like being there, but the quality of the performances, Helmut. Hell, i'm sure that depending on what you do, even a Justin Bieber gig or Miley Cyrus gig can be enjoyable. Or a hmmm.... let's say 1972 Deep Purple gig can seem atrocious because of a certain vibe or events in the audience.

9. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

The Mark 4 lineup might still be DP today!

10. Frittenköter

not with Glenn being coked-up like that.

11. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

This! I am an enormous fan of both the band and Dickey Betts but I found no reason whatsoever to hang onto this piece of garbage. I never thought that Dickey could ever play this poorly under any circumstances. However the old demon alcohol has clearly caught up with him shortly before they booted him out of the band. Why the band decided to release this is completely self-defeating in my view.

12. Toto - Absolutely Live (from the 1992 Kingdom Of Desire tour, their worst ever)
    Roxy Music - Concert Classics (from the Manifesto tour, is this even a legal release?)

13. reddyempower

is he still coked up? I thought he had been sober for years.

14. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

Despite the negative reviews and His Bobness' own comments, I rank seeing Dylan & The Band in 1974 among the greatest concerts I've ever seen.

bonus and HominyRhodes like this.
  15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

It's likely due to Bolin's participation. His dying so young (25) has created a market (however small) for his various recorded performances, regardless of quality. To wit: a ton of Bolin recordings - various live dates, after hour jams, demos, outtakes, alternate takes, etc. - have been released over the years. For better or worse, Johnnie Bolin is to the Tommy Bolin estate/archives what Janie Hendrix is to the Hendrix estate.

16. Frittenköter

it wouldn't have lasted is all i'm saying. Sooner or later, either they would've fired him for being too coked-up or he would've overdosed is what it's likely. It's a shame, i liked MKIV. Last Concert In Japan did them so much damage. And AFAIK Glenn is supposed to be sober these days, although i do have difficulty believing that.

17. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

No - we are talking about "Live albums from bad tours". And a bad tour would be something that was troubled by constant problems like health issues or problems inside the band, disastrous reviews or negative reactions of the audience. Or with lots of cancelled shows and half empty places. None of the Queen and McCartney albums you mentioned earlier comes from a bad tour. You may not like the albums, but the tours weren't bad in any way.

18. Frittenköter

vocal nodules are not a health problem?

19. reddyempower

Maybe he would have overdosed and passed away.

Since we're just talking fantasy here (ie Bolin never playing for DP) I'd prefer to keep him alive and in the band!

20. Frittenköter

i have nothing against Bolin. Since we're talking fantasty, how about a sober Bolin and a sober Hughes?

21. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Yes, they are if they ruin a tour like George Harrison's "Dark Horse tour" in the 70s, which was re-named "Dark Hoarse" tour by some.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/george-harrison-1974-tour/

But there is no Queen tour or McCartney tour to be found like that. And every singer touring a lot will have some voice problems due to a cold somewhere on his way. You may have no idea how many "HNO"- doctors (HNO makes only sense in german) you find backstage with many artists...

22. Frittenköter

boy are you in for a surprise.

I present to you: Japan 1979 and Europe 1984

23. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I have that video from Japan 79 - so what? He had a bad cold and instead of cancelling the show Mercury forced himself through that concert. But that didn't turn the Jazz tour into a bad tour. Most concerts elsewhere were fine, see Paris or Munic, the other ones that were filmed. Europe 84 - The Works tour - was also great. I was there in Dortmund and his singing was absolutely okay.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. Frittenköter

that's one of the better Japanese gigs.
    Try 5/1 for fun, but really he sounded bad at all japanese gigs but by the end he had no voice left..

25. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Yeah, it really hurts to hear him struggle that much. From today's point of view it might have been better to cancel these shows, but we don't know about the financial pressure behind it all.
    So that was surely a "bad leg" of an otherwise good tour and as we know, they didn't release a live album from that Japanese part...;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.