The Lynyrd Skynyrd Album by Album Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

2. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I borrowed Gold & Platimum from a friend in December, 1992. I knew five songs already and loved the rest of the album except for the live tracks. (I have come to love One More From the Road as a standalone release. I'm generally not a fan of compilations that mix live live recordings and studio cuts.) G&P features a solid tracklist. If I could make one change, I would switch out the live tracks for their studio counterparts and add one or two songs from Second Helping.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think with Best of the Rest they partially addressed this, by including more songs from the three "middle albums" that were a bit underrepresented on Gold & Platinium. Taken together these two compilations make a pretty balanced overview (although still heavy on One More From the Road and Street Survivors, as has been suggested I think one reason for this might have been to feature Steve Gaines as much a s possible).

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Gold & Platinum was my first introduction to Lynyrd Skynyrd. I remember I bought it on vinyl years ago as a teenager and I liked it immediately. The songs on it are still the definitive versions I think of when Skynyrd is mentioned. "On the Hunt" and "Saturday Night Special" still remain my favorite Lynyrd Skynyrd songs no matter how unoriginal or mainstream that might be.

For the record, Leon Wilkeson was my favorite member of the band and I was deeply sadden when I learned of his demise. All interest I had in the band, which wasn't much, vanished with his death.

RIP Leon.

6. Myke

He was a very funny man, who could make everyone around him at the very least, smile. I consider the day I spent with him one of the high points of my life.

Primosanteria, drift, Fullbug and 4 others like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

I am guessing the Gold and Platinum was many folks introduction to the band. :)

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes, and thanks. Little did I know that I'd be posting pictures of records on a music forum when I hunted them down years ago.

9. Rose River Bear

[​IMG]
    Skynyrd's Innyrds

Released April 1989

"Sweet Home Alabama" (Ed King, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:42
    "Swamp Music" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:32
    "I Ain't the One" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:54
    "Gimme Three Steps" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:30
    "Double Trouble" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) (Outtake version) – 2:50
    "Free Bird" (Outtake version) (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 10:08
    "Truck Drivin' Man" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) - 5:16
    "Saturday Night Special" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 5:07
    "Workin' for MCA" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:49
    "What's Your Name?" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:32
    "That Smell" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 5:52
    "Don't Ask Me No Questions" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:26
    "Call Me the Breeze" (J.J. Cale) – 5:08

Free Bird

This is my favorite version of this epic tune between live versions, demos and others.
    I was blown away when I heard it for the first time on this release back in 1989. It is the same version as on the debut however, it of course does not have the early fade out. I prefer this version to the studio version by far. The guitar work by Allen around the 9 minute mark sounds great. Then at 9:13 an amazing onslaught of a cadence starts and then surprise......at 9:30 the boys rip into a fierce Bolero rhythm with the amazing Allen Collins playing a skittering lead on top. At 9:40 a brutal unison chromatic ascension starts finally ending with a two chord inversion knockout.

I do not know why this version did not make it to the debut. I guess I am a sucker for big endings. BTW, this is the closest they ever got to a song that could be considered prog because of the classically influenced ending.

Double Trouble

The arrangement (mix) is a little different on this version compared to the version that wound up on Bullets.

Truck Drivin Man was an additional bonus track to the CD when it was released.

The rest of the songs were all available on previous releases. This is a must have IMO because of the Free Bird outtake.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Pouchkine and tdavis0903 like this.
  10. Rose River Bear

The one for me.

reb likes this.
  11. Myke

Frank, that take in 5.1 is great as well. :agree:

12. Rose River Bear

I agree. It's amazing and makes a great song even better IMO.

Myke likes this.
  13. Rose River Bear

Just curious if you folks prefer this version over the original with the fade out.

14. Myke

I was reminded last night how some of the tracks have an alternate mix, not just the obvious difference in stereo, and 5.1, but a truly different mix !!!

15. Myke

Sentimentalist. Gotta stick with my 15 year-old / 1974 version. That'd be faded out.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I got to interview Leon in 1999, when I worked in radio. He was a nice guy, and I wish I still had the air-check tape, because it was done "live, on the air". That interview is what got me from an intern to an on-air spot.

drift, HAmmer and Rose River Bear like this.
  17. Myke

My day was in June of 1978, his arm still in a sling, as it would still be in January of 1979, when they came together at Volunteer Jam 5.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I do like the extended studio version and the original demo. Least favorite would be the live lp version.

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Crap. I didn't realize there were 2 songs on this not on anything else like the boxset etc. I used to have the vinyl but never bought this on CD. I will have to pick it up since I do have Skynyrd rabies.

20. Myke

21. Rose River Bear

I just bought it myself for $10. I had the two songs on CD R but I had to have the official release. I too have the Skynyrd rabies. :D

22. Rose River Bear

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's the great thing about these AbA threads. Always learn something, sometimes find out about releases I "need" but didn't know that I needed them! On second thought that is the worst thing about these threads, it can get expensive. I just picked up the cheapest "like new" version on Amazon - set me back $23! Sigh. I probably should have just put it on the "to look for" list hoping I would eventually stumble on it somewhere for less than $10 but...heck...it's been over 5 years now and I still can't find an original CD of The Who's Face Dances that isn't going for stupid/crazy money. I let my 100% mint copy of that go for either free (giving to a friend) or like $2 trading in at a record store, not knowing the remaster was also a remix/very different. Didn't want the same thing to happen to the Skynyrd.

24. Myke

Mine was $12.98 in 2009.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Gary likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.