Did Macca rip off Uriah Heep?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Senior Member

The vast majority of Paul's work, both past and present, is melodic and harmonious. Not sure if I could identify the titles of recent songs; however, I cannot think of anything new that I found annoying.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It was a top ten hit in Germany and Switzerland, which doesn't qualify as ubiquitous smash that Paul couldn't have possibly missed if he turned on the radio anywhere in Europe.
    Yeah, you can't play the "I'm too cool for soft pop" card when you're part of the ONJ fan club.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Hey, leave Olivia out of this!:)

heatherly likes this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I seriously doubt McCartney has ever heard of Uriah Heep.

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

He's from England, hope you remember. Uriah Heep were one of the major british bands of the early 70's. In 1972 british press, always ready for hype, were speaking of Heepmania. I don't imply that he stole the chorus from Free Me but it indeed sounds familiar.

Zeki likes this.
  6. antonkk

I'm not. I just think there are great and not so great songwriters in soft pop. Gimme John Farrar or Barry Gibb over McCartney or Manillow anyday.

7. Tristero

Well, that's fine but most people wouldn't even put McCartney in the same conversation as Barry Manilow to begin with. You're certainly entitled to your views but these relentless swipes against McCartney have gone over the top lately, easily crossing the troll line, IMO. I don't even consider myself to be one of his diehard fans or anything, but you're not winning over hearts and minds here.

8. antonkk

I'm not here to win over minds, hearts or other parts - I'm here to express my views just like everybody else is. I started a very positive Wild Life appreciation thread only last month or so. Here I never bashed Macca or Freedom I just noticed that a few people think it's chorus sounds familiar to Free Me.

9. brettb33

brettb33 Forum Resident

Don't sweat it. This is just the OP's attempt to start a not so thinly veiled McCartney troll thread.

10. Tristero

Uh huh. Cliches aside as you cite one of the oldest cliches about Paul's work. Whatever, if you want to keep thumbing your nose at McCartney fans, that's your business, but I think it's disrespectful. I could make some cutting remarks about artists you love, but that would be pointless.

Paulwalrus and dkmonroe like this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Stunning. Another thread by this guy bashing McCartney. You'd think he'd be bored of it by now.

dkmonroe and Oatsdad like this.
  12. antonkk

Please reread my OP. Where exactly do I bash McCartney????

13. jon9091

Only in that they have the "free" in the lyrics...and they're both terrible.

heatherly likes this.
  14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Free me from Paul McCarney's "Freedom," Uriah Heep and solo Roger Daltrey....

15. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

Freedom was Paul's attempt to write something as catchy as Give Peace A Chance.

16. Tristero

I just cited where you bashed McCartney. Don't play coy. The laughable part is that you've selected one of Paul's weakest efforts from the last twenty years as something to celebrate just because it bears some fluke resemblance to Uriah Heep.

formu_la likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Or if you put a Carpenters album in your all-time top 50...

heatherly likes this.
  18. antonkk

I friggin' love soft pop. Strange that you didn't notice it after all these years.

19. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Not a fan of either but hey, I don't think Free Me is terrible by any means. I mean, I could say I dislike it, find it mediocre - in my opinion - but I wouldn't casually dismiss a song that was obviously very popular at one time as "terrible" as if it's some sort of objective fact (and that's how it sounds).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  20. jon9091

It's terrible if you were a Uriah Heep fan from early on and then heard it. And it was certainly never popular where I lived. Jeez....I'm not sure the album even came out in the US at the time, because I had to buy an import of it.

21. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

22. antonkk

First of all it was REALLY popular in Europe and that's a fact. Here in Russia I can still hear it on the radio every now and then. Second, what's so shocking about Free Me to an old-school Heep fan - they always had soft-rock pop songs - think Lady in Black or Blind Eye. If KISS did Hard Luck Woman why Heep couldn't do Free Me?

23. jon9091

The only connection is an acoustic guitar...that's about it. Free Me sounds like Uriah Heep trying to be The Eagles.

24. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Don't apologize. I like it ok. And Run Devil Run was within the past 20 years and I love it.

25. antonkk

No I think it's a typical Hensley tune.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.