OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I just tried some dsf and dff files from my NAS and over USB and they played flawlessly. I was under the impression the 103 couldn't do this.

Sounds great! I have to read the manual again, maybe I missed it or forgot.

I can't see any reason to buy the 105 unless it is a revelation. When I switch between the receiver DAC and the Oppo, the Oppo wipes the floor with the Onkyo. The soundstage is so wide and warm with plenty of bottom end.

Scott J and tmtomh like this.
  2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

If the 103 does everything you want and you are happy with the SQ.........then no real need for a 105D.......unless.......

You really want even better SQ........ and believe the extra cost is validated.

No harm in playing them off one day to see where you think things stand.

ATM looking at your overall system.......the 103 does sit in there quite nicely.......but.........

IMHO I think any extra $ would be better spent in amplification.

The KEF Q900's would really benefit from something a bit higher up the food chain than your Pioneer A35R.

I know I haven't heard your system but it just jumped out at me as being a bit unbalanced when I read about it.

Cheers,

John

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    bru87tr and tmtomh like this.
  3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I love my 105 and have never heard a 103. But I've also never seen a single report of a 103 owner not loving it. So I agree with @Linger63 - if you are happy, no reason to spend $100s extra, at least not anytime soon.

bru87tr and Linger63 like this.
  4. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

What the long term outlook on any more firmware updates for the 105?

While I am not having any specific problems with the latest FW - is the 105 now heading into the sunset? Seems like it...

VP

5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I have both of them. I use them for playing discs and, occasionally, for streaming files (including DSD) from USB or ethernet. The major difference between the two is in their DACs and I don't use either.

6. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I know this question may be difficult to answer (and apologize if it's been answered before) but is the SQ difference between 105 and 103 worth the ~$500 price difference?

7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I have not compared the 103 and the 105. I went straight for the 105 (in my case, a 105D) because I figured it would likely be the last disc player I'd buy and I wanted the best sound I could get in my price range. I have been very pleased by the sound of the 105D. The SABRE DAC and the better analog audio circuitry deliver a huge, deep, detailed sound. I love what I'm hearing from my 105D. Every review I've read says its audio is indeed better than the 103, but again, I have no direct experience of that.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think it really depends on your system and how you will be using the 105. I've had the 103 for quite awhile and it's an excellent player. I recently bought a 105D and connected it direct to my amp and the SQ is a step up from the 103. Is it worth the additional cost? That's a tough question but for me it is. I had to send the 105D back to Oppo for service and I put the 103 back in my system. The 105D was initially going to be a return and I was going to stick with the 103. But I decided to have the repairs done and have the 105D shipped back to me. So to make a long story short the additional cost of the 105D (refurbished unit) over the 103 is worth it to me :).

Bill

Ivand and Linger63 like this.
  9. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

IMHO........Yes

10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi Kal,

Let me guess.............DCS???........or Wadia??? :laugh:

11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

More like a $700-900 difference.

12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Just curious, why buy the 105 if not using the DAC's ?

Blair G. and Ivand like this.
  13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Well, there's the fact of the upgraded DAC being used for all playback, including regular disc playback. And there's the upgraded analogue circuitry as well.

As to whether those two aspects, by themselves, are worth the price premium over the 103, I have no opinion on that since I've never heard the 103 in action. But my guess would be that for most people, the 105 would not be worth the extra money unless they were planning to use the DAC with outside inputs, or they wanted to have that option open in the future.

14. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

With apologies if this has been addressed before, but are we due shortly for a new version/generation of the Oppo player? Or is the 105 likely to stick around for a good bit (so to speak) longer?

bru87tr likes this.
  15. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I use the HDMI sometimes. Occasionally, I use the analog of the 105. Mostly, I play files from my server and disc-playing is a lesser issue.

See below.

Actually, I wanted to keep my options open in the past :) but now I play few discs.

tmtomh and bru87tr like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Tom,

Word is the 105D will be around for awhile. I believe I read it over at AVS that the new 4k players from Oppo will not be out till late 2015 or early 2016. I'm not sure how accurate that information is. But Oppo normally is not fast to jump in on a new format as with their Blu-Ray players.

Bill

SteelyTom likes this.
  17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I would agree Bill, I personally don't see UHD BLuRay in wide release until 2017 plus IMO

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have a question for those that are using the Auto Resume feature. If a disc is in the player does it start playing from the resumed point without pushing play when the player is powered up? I could have sworn before the latest FW update that when you powered up the player you had to hit play for the disc to start playback from the resumed point. It really irritates me now that when I power up my 103 and the 105D that the disc starts playing automatically.

Bill

19. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I thought it did too, that it would ask u to resume? I guess I haven't updated my 105d firmware yet.... ;( n.a. maybe I should wait?

20. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Yes, the disc starts playing automatically. It says on screen to hit stop if wish not to.

Mine does this and I have latest FW.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Ralph,

Thanks for your thoughts :). This has to be a change with the latest 103/105 FW. Before I updated to the latest FW I had to hit play for the disc to resume and then it would say stop if I didn't want the disc to play from the resumed point. I'm going to contact Oppo to see if there is a possibility of changing the FW so the resume function works as it did before.

Bill

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

This is where the Cambridge philosophy differed. They went with 4k upscaling on the 752BD whereas Oppo took a different route with their product. Different strokes.

SteelyTom likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not correct. The 103, 103D ,105 and 105D have 4k up-scaling. Why would you think that Oppo players do not have the 4k up-scaling?

Below is direct from the 103 page on the Oppo site;

Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
    Exceptional Picture Quality by Qdeo Processing
    4k Up-Scaling, 3D Playback, 2D to 3D Conversion
    Dual HDMI Inputs/Outputs, MHL Input Capable
    Dual-core Fast Loading

Bill

24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I misunderstood the comment "new 4k players from Oppo". No biggie Bill.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK. But the 752BD still doesn't play 4k discs ;). Unless Cambridge Audio sources their players from someone other than Oppo they will not have a 4k player till Oppo does.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.