Worst Opening Act You Sat Through...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Aug 14, 2006.

1. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Todd Rundgren for Joe Jackson outdoors in San Diego a few summers ago. Actually, I guess they were touring together, but the crowd was sort of hostile after 5 minutes. The show went on as if nothing was happening.

2. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I once had to sit through the original Deep Purple to see Cream. I also had to sit through a full set of U2 to see the J. Geils Band :tiphat:

3. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Black Oak Arkansas before ELP--and I left that one early !?!?!?

4. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I would say Private Life opened for Van Halen in 1988...yuck!

5. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

It was.

6. 12Toes

12Toes Forum Resident

Hate time travel back to an old thread, but it was Van Halen's Diver Down tour. Dar Kamisar had yet to become the hit that it turned out to be. I saw that tour with a VERY unappreciative, bourbon soaked crowd in Louisville treating After the Fire with belligerent contempt.

7. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

In the early '90s, Calvin Johnson from Beat Happening, who were opening for Fugazi, was hit in the head with an ashtray thrown by an audience member. Fugazi definitely called out the perp and condemned the incident when they took the stage.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Shame there aren't any Juggalos around that I know of... I'd like to hear stories from the ill-fated five minutes when Coal Chamber, a whiny emo band with black lipstick, opened for ICP.

9. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I remember "Eat Your Heart Out" getting some airplay in the fall of 1984. I just looked it up again on Youtube. The production is dated with the Simmons drums but the song itself isn't bad.

10. hackster

hackster Forum Resident

Tom Petty & Heartbreakers / Bob Dylan / Traffic / Steve Miller Band / Sting...
    All openers for the Grateful Dead.
    <kidding... Hey, I'm just kidding...>

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

A girl who rapped and played acoustic guitar with a boombox opened for Swing Out Sister. The audio equivalent of dog poo.
    She tested the audience's patience. People didn't boo, but they stopped applauding. She'd ask a question and no one would answer; first time I ever heard a performer ask, 'is everyone ok?' and there was silence.

izgoblin likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I saw Dylan/Petty open for the Dead in 1986, I stayed around to hear the Dead play one song just so I could say I'd seen them - and then I left.

I just had zero interest in listening to the Dead, especially in crummy seats at a football stadium...

LSP likes this.
  13. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Hendrix opening for The Monkees.

I wanted hear "I'm a Believer", not some guy playing his guitar behind his back. :realmad:

Just kidding, I wasn't there. I was probably playing with a Mr. Potato Head or something.

14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Twisted Sister opening for Maiden
    Bullet for my Valentine -Maiden
    Great White- Judas Priest
    Motley Crew -Ozzy
    And to flip it Ozzy letting Metallica open on the Masters tour.
    Metallica destroyed Ozzy and his big hair at the time.
    These are just off the top of my head, there have been many
    Acts I just didn't get as they did not fit with the headline imo.

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

A gazillion sh@ity local bands opening for Nina Hagen in Buenos Aires in '86

16. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

WASP opening for DIO. I was in High School. Almost embarrassed to admit I saw them. They were horrid!

17. hackster

hackster Forum Resident

Crummy seats indeed. Akron '86 was the first Dead I attended. I had quite a few of their records, but had never seen them. After that, I went to many shows in following years, and by submitting random artwork to some magazines (Relix and Unbroken Chain), I got to be on the staff of those for a few years. Like Jerry (or somebody?) said one time - "The Grateful Dead are like licorice; not everybody likes licorice... but those who do, REALLY like licorice"... (or something like that)...

In all my concerts I've been to, I've never seen anything that came close to the "scene" at one of their concerts. It was definitely a strange gathering of people. You know something's up when the venue guys with "STAFF" t-shirts are huffing nitrous ballons.

Thelonious_Cube and Fullbug like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

When I saw Johnny Winter in San Diego in the 70s, Brownsville Station opened and I was down front near the stage and there was a guy that kept yelling stuff like " you suck! We want Johnny Winter! Get the **** off the stage!
    Even though I didn't care for the band I felt a little sorry for the guy on stage in front of that guy. Can you imagine trying to put on a show with someone yelling that stuff throughout your time on stage?

19. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

Moby (during his "punk phase") opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Brixton Academy in 1995. Hell on the ears.

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

great white, WASP and twisted sister are great

21. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

In Hong Kong when I saw Belle & Sebastian they had a local kid slog through 8 or 9 of his solo acoustic guitar songs for about 40 minutes...I'm pretty sure there was a slow hand clap gearing up after about 6 of his ditties...well he sure made Belle & Sebastian seem like musical gods when they finally came out...not that they're not ;)

Well he was alright...but nobody wanted to hear about his existential love pains...9 times...

22. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Polyphonic Spree was one of the worst I've seen. Opened for Bowie in 2004.

23. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Better Than Ezra opening for Collective Soul in 2005.

24. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

If pay good money to boo BOTH of those acts off the stage

Em. likes this.
  25. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Honeymoon Suite opening for Jethro Tull.