The Yes CD Mastering Thread - (New Version)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DiabloG, Jul 24, 2013.

1. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Sad times are these when the best sounding available copy of an album is the cassette version. Ay carumba!

2. Ambassador

Ambassador Forum Resident

In the meantime, I suppose I could try applying the vinyl EQ to the HDTracks version...

I'm not happy with how Audacity only takes in 2 minutes of a song into account though. I'm trying to see if I can to the same with SoX.

rcsrich likes this.
  3. Ambassador

In various parts of all songs, mainly when there is loud instruments and when there is loud singing (like the chorus and end of Big Generator, the end of I'm Running, etc.). I've encountered this issue on many other vinyl pressings as well - Moving Pictures (Holland pressing), Grace Under Pressure (different vinyl pressings except US), and Hold Your Fire (the last song only).

4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

What I've done in the past is use the "change tempo" tool to change the song length to 237 seconds. You're essentially chopping out samples, but at least it's being done in a systematic way. If it's a really long song, you're results will be less accurate, of course. You could also split the long songs up into smaller parts, then average the resulting eq values.

5. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I have heard them all, and I like the MFSL the best.

6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die Thread Starter

Is it the jewel case or the cardboard sleeve version that's currently in print?

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

According to MoFi, they switched to the cardboard sleeves.

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Jewel case. Hopefully the same mastering though!

9. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

has anyone compared the sacd to the blue ray of The Yes Album??

10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Completely different masterings, but the Blu-ray is by far the better choice.

Plan9 likes this.
  11. DiabloG

I won Steve's 90125 CD on eBay. I'd really like to do a shootout and compare it to the WG Target and Rhino remaster, both of which I like for different reasons. I'm not including the High Vibration SACD because it's got a huge smiley-EQ profile and loads of compression. I don't know how I could sit through Kikuchi's SACDs a few months ago and not now. Maybe my ears have become slightly less accepting since January.

Ambassador and Plan9 like this.
  12. Ambassador

I call it ear fatigue. Like muscles pushed day after day, your ears are strained listening to all that compression. :p

Would be nice to include the HDTRACKS version in the comparo also.

PROG U.K. and DiabloG like this.
  13. DiabloG

I'd be up for that, but my funds are going towards other things for a while :shh:. If you have the HDTracks version, then would you be willing to post a sample of City of Love?

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

15. roadtonever

roadtonever Forum Resident

Listing my favorite versions:

The Yes Album: Gastwirt
    Fragile: HDtracks
    Close To The Edge: Diament
    Yessongs: Diament
    Tales From Topographic Oceans: HDtracks
    Relayer: HDtracks
    Going For The One: HDtracks
    Tormato: Diament
    Drama: HDTracks
    Yesshows: HDTracks

muzikluvr likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:thumbsup:

Mine, a bit different:

The Yes Album: MoFi / Wilson remix
    Fragile: Gastwirt
    Close To The Edge: Hoffman
    Tales From Topographic Oceans: HDtracks
    Relayer: HDtracks / Wilson remix
    Going For The One: Hoffman
    90125: Hoffman

ricks and Endymion like this.
  17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I'm a bit surprised, you prefer the Hoffmans but not the Diaments? In terms of mastering they are very close.

18. roadtonever

You don't like the HDtracks Fragile? It's the most sucessfull remaster I've heard in the catalog. Warm, clear, present, impactful it has it all.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

True, but the Hoffmans are SACD and the tapes used are probably better. I haven't done direct comparisons focusing on the state of the tapes but I prefered the Hoffmans going by memory.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Fragile HDTracks is just a copy of the 2003 DVD-Audio mastering.
    Personally I find it too compressed and smiley-faced...

21. DiabloG

Below is the list of my faves so far up to Big Generator. My list is physical media only since I've never bought anything from HDTracks (yet).

Yes - Original US Atlantic
    Time and a Word - Original US Atlantic
    The Yes Album - Diament (for now)
    Fragile - Diament (for now)
    Close to the Edge - AF SACD
    Yessongs - Original US Atlantic
    Tales from Topographic Oceans - Original US Atlantic
    Relayer - Rhino (for now)
    Going for the One - AF SACD
    Tormato - Original US Atlantic
    Drama - Diament
    Yesshows - Original US Atlantic
    90125 - TBD, waiting for the AF CD to arrive so I can compare between the WG Target and Rhino
    9012Live: The Solos - Original Japanese
    Big Generator - Secret remaster

c-eling likes this.
  22. roadtonever

It's different, the DVD-A is indeed smiley faced EQ'd. The HDtracks version much more tasteful, you relly can't comapre the two. It even beats the Atlantic gold edition IMO. I guess the hardcore purist might still prefer the later though for the rawer sound signature.

I happened to compare the Rhino Releayer to the HDtracks today. Call it sacrilege but I now consider the Rhino to be superior overall. I honstely think this an isolated case where Rhino got it right. It adresses some issues with the tonality that preivous versions don't. The drums are more prominent and resemble more what they actully are. Yeah it's bright but most of the time it suits the recording. And let's be honest it's not a great recording to beging with. The music is excellent though and it's been rewarding to get rid of of previously held notions about the Rhino masters. :righton:

DiabloG likes this.
  23. DiabloG

The Rhino is my favorite for Relayer because the other masterings that I have (Zal's original Atlantic and the Marino remaster) are too bright for my liking. It may be a bit muddy at times, but at least the Rhino doesn't hurt my ears while listening. In 2nd place after the Rhino, I'm giving the edge to the (de-coded) HDCD mini LP because it's not as bright as the 80's and 90's CD's. Actually, most of the Yes HDCD's that I have sound good when de- coded properly. The good ones are Tales, Relayer, and Tormato. The only exception to this is the HDCD Big Generator, which remains one of the WORST sounding releases in my collection even if it's properly de-coded.

24. roadtonever

I listened to the other Rhino releases again to make sure I wasnt loosing my mind. Relayer is the only Rhino with reasonable top-end EQ and good overall sound.

25. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

This may be a little apples-to-oranges, but do you guys who prefer the Rhino for Relayer think the SW stereo remix competes favorably?