"Independence Day" sequels coming

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Pepper, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I re-watched ID a few months back. I remember thinking in 1996 that Mars Attacks! was the better alien invasion film that year, and I still agree with that assessment. I'd probably rent any sequels, but I'm sure not going to see them in the theater.

I just hope they have Jeff Goldblum reboot the alien craft with his iPhone.

mikeyt and Vidiot like this.
  2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Thanks for the warning.

3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

A sequel to one of the dumbest films I have ever seen? Pass.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bill Pullman or Mae Whitman as Will Smith's son? That doesn't make sense...

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Man, I was hoping more to hear he'd be in Jurassic World.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Man, I hate seeing this trend of two part movies and knowing after I leave the theater I will have to go back to see part two a year later. I don't mind sequels, what I mind is when the story is not concluded. It has worked a few times, especially on the Star Wars movies and The Empire Strikes Back, but generally speaking I want a beginning and an end for each film I see!

7. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

"They're using our satellites against us!"

Well, turn them off, Jeffrey.

8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

>>>

9. Oatsdad

Y'know, I never felt like we were "left hanging" by "Empire". When I saw it in 1980, it felt like it had a "real ending". I realize that it left some threads untied, but these didn't feel like a big deal.

The first movie I recall that I thought REALLY left me hanging was "Back to the Future Part II". It ended with a frickin' TRAILER for the next movie - I was stunned and pissed!

At the time, I knew that "Part III" was due the next year, but I didn't expect "Part II" to be so closely attached to it. I thought it'd have more of a real ending!

At least with stuff like "LOTR" or "Hobbit", you know the first 2 films won't "end", so it doesn't seem like a big deal that they're not self-contained.

IMO, "Fellowship", "Towers" and "Unexpected Journey" actually do feel fairly self-contained - while they point toward the next chapters, they don't end abruptly ala "BTTF Part II" - or "Smaug". I was surprised Jackson finished that one in such a "cliffhanger" manner when he'd not done so with the prior flicks...

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

All good points. I guess I was one of the few that didn't know, but I was pretty upset that the last Hunger Games movie was a two parter. I don't go to a movie expecting that it will end with a cliff hangar. I want it to end! A sequel is fine and different. I fear that like everything else in our country, it is going to become more and more a blatant money grab, as I think a lot of people felt with Hunger Games, and we are going to see more of this and the result will be a lot of stretching of movies, much like we saw when CDs started including 16 songs instead of 10-12, which in most cases just weakened the album because those extra songs probably were close to filler. We will see more dead time for films that really only have a true ninety minute story line. I just bought Gettysburg, which I haven't watched yet, and noticed it is nearly four hours. I like that kind of film if it justifies the time, and would not want a film like that to end abrubtly half way through and then I have to wait a year to see the second half.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I didn't read the books, and didn't know in advance this was going to be a two part film, so I was upset when it kind of just ended! Those that read the book seemed to feel there was no need to stretch it out, which makes me think they could have made an amazing two hour movie instead of plodding along as they did in portions of Hunger Games. I think we will see more and more "good" movies instead of one amazing film if this trend continues...and unfortunately it will. As I stated before, sequels are fine but I don't enjoy paying to see a film and then I am left hanging. A money grab imo.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

The book is pretty small and the first half of the book barely anything happens.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It might be interesting.

14. Oatsdad

Gotta put that one on you, as the title tells you it's a two-parter! :)

Others are less obvious, though. When I saw "Maze Runner", I didn't expect it to come with a "non-ending"...

15. Oatsdad

So the movie replicated the first half accurately, I guess! :)

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You are right actually, I knew it was going to be a two parter, it was just frustrating to get to the end and then having to wait for the next part to be released. Just really disappointing to me. And I also found myself saying over and over again "I hope they don't end it here." Kind of spoiled the event for me. I know its good business for them to stretch it out to make even more $$, but I'm just sick and tired of that mentality in this country. And, I heard repeatedly that that portion of the story didn't need to be stretched into two movies anyway...just a pure momey grab...but I guess it worked! I didn't read the books, so I'm just going by what my kids and orhers who read the books have said. I think next time I will wait it out and just buy two parters on disc so I can see them together. I have a nice home theater so what the heck.

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

It'll give Will Smith something to do

18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Somewhere in my house there is a fairly large box of cables: FireWire 400, FireWire 800, USB, mini USB, micro USB, 30 pin, Lightning, coaxial, optical, HDMI, etc, and yet Goldblum was able to plug his laptop computer into the space ship with what? He happened to have the right cable? That was a slap on the forehead scene.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Oh boy... another sequel to another bad Will Smith movie

smilin ed likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Don't worry. In the sequel he'll just log onto the alien's wireless network.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

even better...can't wait to see this!
    P.S. Aliens don't use firewalls...

22. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I like when the doggie jumps into the maintenance closet just as the fireball is about to roast him. Goodness, it's a good thing that she got that door open!

23. Michael

I think you are being too hard on Will...

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

This scene always bugged me because it goes totally against the laws of physics. With the door open and that little room filled with oxygen it would have fried everyone in it instead of passing right by the door.

25. Michael

it's only a move...logic is not included as the whole movie would be illogical...why do ppl constantly have to inject real life into FANTASY and TRASH the movie?

robertawillisjr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.