New DD turntable from Onkyo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Can we get a new DD table that is > $399 and < $7000?

EasterEverywhere, jriems and rischa like this.
  2. inperson

inperson Senior Member

When you wrote "DD" I had to look.:D

Shak Cohen, Murph, ggergm and 3 others like this.
  3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

The Luxman is pretty balls out. I heard it back in July at one of our club meetings. It was demo-ed for us by the US distributor. To me, it sounds great. The tonearm that's included is not the ultimate, however. There's a new upgraded model that just came out.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

The point was, you can't use an SME mount on a straight arm. Doesn't make it an "offender", it's just a design choice. Not really a limitation unless you're into changing carts all the time....

Happy trails,
    Larry B.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Indeed. It is a design choice. I would recommend buyers of this turntable in Teac or in Denon to buy an extra headshell or two as they are non standard. Wise in case one needs more than one cartridge or loses one.

6. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Agreed, the Luxman offering probably should not have been lumped in with those other TTs; but, as a new TT offering, I thought I'd throw it in. It would be nice to see Luxman and the others put a balls out (non-Hanpin, in house) direct drive turntable on the menu. I'll be sure to check out the upgraded Luxman.

motorcitydave and PhilBiker like this.
  7. missan

missan Forum Resident

It´s very unreasonable this is going to happen. They use Hanpin to be able to make a little money, if they didn´t they would not put out any TTs, as I see it.

Darksolstice likes this.
  8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ok, cool. Yeah, it would. The upgrades are minor it seems. I could be wrong, however.

9. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Perhaps; but, there's a long list of unreasonable things going on these days:

CD sales aren't completely dead due to downloading
    SACD hasn't disappeared
    New vinyl is being pressed at plants which have more orders than they can fill
    VPI introduced a direct drive turntable
    There are more new tube amp manufacturers than we can shake a stick at
    People still dig 2 channel hi-fi - some actually prefer it over multi-channel
    Techincs is back in the USA

Cell phones are actually getting... bigger... and bigger?????

Crazy world. Who will bang the gavel? (shameless Animal Logic reference) Not me. I think there's hope. :D

EasterEverywhere and missan like this.
  10. missan

missan Forum Resident

I agree on; Crazy World, but for different reasons. If these things didn´t happen wouldn´t really mean anything.;)

11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Has anyone bought and tried one ?

Amazon has them in stock finally. Curious and see no reviews anywhere online yet.

12. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I really like the fact they didn't copy the looks of the SL-1200MK2.

CARPEYOLO and Darksolstice like this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I wish Onkyo'd bring back their CP-1280F. I bought an ugly one for $25.00, and it's been excellent.

[​IMG]

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Doesn't look ugly to me.

beat_truck, Kristofa, DLD and 5 others like this.
  15. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

I had a look at the Onkyo while at the Gibson booth at NAMM. First, let me say I'm NOT an audiophile expert. I don't have the knowledge or vocabulary to argue why one table is better than another. But I know what looks good, and sounds good FWIW.

So, I walk up to the unit and there is a young guy sitting on a stool texting away. I make eye contact with him and ask, "what do you know about this turntable?" He replies "it's made 100% by Onkyo." I say "well what does that mean, is it made in Japan?"He said yes - made in Japan. Again, I ask him so this has NO Hanpin parts at all? Yes, made in Japan. No, HANPIN!!!. Yes, want to hear it? Gives me a pair of headphones, switches it on, and literally tosses the tone arm on the record. Not drops it hard, but tosses it. I look at him like WTF? He sits down and goes back to texting.

I wish now that I had turned the unit around and looked for more info, but didn't and just walked away. I thought the unit looked good, maybe a tad over-priced. It's a mid level unit - not high end by any means. I am curious where this unit really is manufactured though. I can also see this selling because it's not a 1200 or Rega lookalike.

bru87tr likes this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For many of us, it looks nice, does what we need without fuss once setup. And is priced affordably. Regardless of where it is made. And looks nice. One to watch.

Licorice pizza and PhilBiker like this.
  17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That's an internet picture. Mine has a small section of missing laminate and a dust cover in need of buffing. They are beautiful tables, though.

bru87tr likes this.
  18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Darksolstice likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That table doesn't look great to me. It looks like every mid-fi JVC, Pioneer or Sansui from the mid-seventies. What is that? vinyl veneer? It looks like it. It's funny that a rep ad NAMM would get all defensive right away and start yelling "It's not a Hanpin!" Bwhahaha. Not that being made by Onkyo is any great shakes, either. It's funny but the official Onkyo photos of the table that show the back gold RCAs are very careful to crop out "Made in---" None of the literature even mentions where it's made. My guess is that fill in the blank can be solved by a five-letter word beginning with "C."

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    EasterEverywhere likes this.
  20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd be inclined to get a separate phono stage. Not the 8050's finest hour I have to say. IMO only if course.

21. Brother_Rael

Czech Republic?!

Seriously, if the brand name quality control is good and robust, so to will be the product.

After that, it comes down to the product design spec itself. Wholly the manufacturer's choice. Hanpin just "do the do" as the saying goes.

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sorry, 13 letters. Vanna, spin the wheel.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  23. Brother_Rael

Stewards Enquiry. . .

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Ugly ?! I think it's sweet !!

bru87tr likes this.
  25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.