Anybody Watching Fortitude?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SMcFarlane, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just curious if anyone else is watching Fortitude. I'm enjoying it. Can't say I have any clue where the storyline is going ... seems there's so many story threats.

2. SMcFarlane

Crickets!!!

3. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I'm watching it. I don't think it's very good though...

4. SMcFarlane

I'm loving the cinematography work, the atmosphere is great. Stanley Tucci is good (as usual). Good to see the sous chef from Whites in a totally different roll. But when it comes to the story line it seems a bit too forced ... as in ... suspense for suspense sake and is labouring a bit to get going and we're like 5 episodes or so in.

5. Rufus McDufus

I agree - the cinematography is really good & Stanley Tucci does stand out. One thing that annoys me is the British accents - they seem so out of place. The whole pace of the show isn't exactly setting me on fire either.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The first episode was utterly confusing. When Stanley Tucci came into it it started to make a bit more sense. Really strange nude scene in the first episode. :p

7. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I watched 6 episodes and hated every episode (I know :D) - this is the first TV series I watched that I absolutely loathe each and every character on a show, I can't exactly put my finger on it but it just doesn't work for me - thanks, but no thanks

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm liking it a lot. As others have said, excellent cinematography/visuals, but also a fascinating story. It's half a murder mystery and half a cryptozoology creature feature with a nod to John Carpenter's The Thing all rolled into one. Stanley Tucci great as usual.

zobalob likes this.
  9. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I wonder if Christopher Eccleston will come back as a "thing", fascinating series, well shot, well written, paced well too.

10. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I'm loving it (through Episode 9).

11. SMcFarlane

Then I'm guessing you haven't watched Bloodline yet!!!!! What a family!

12. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Nope, not yet

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Stanley Tucci's character is far from loathesome, in fact he's a likable voice of reason trying to untangle the bizarre goings on in a small, insular community.

But, it's a very good show just like Bloodline, where one character in particular is loathsome (but brilliantly so), and many of the others are just victims of circumstance. It's a great character study piece.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Pork chops and ice cream. The mystery continues with some forensic analysis leading to a possible cause. I just hope that what happens to a main character doesn't come to pass...

One thing I never really understood is the whole glacier hotel thing. There is no way that you can build a hotel or any permanent structure on a glacier. Glaciers are in a constant state of flow, moving many meters during the course of a year, some a lot faster. There would be no building approval body that would ever greenlight such a development!

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  15. Rufus McDufus

I can't explain why I'm still watching this. I find it the biggest pile of cack I've watched I'm a long time but I guess I just want to know where it's going.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

OMG!! We've only had 5 eps here. It must go on forever.

17. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I've been watching it on Daily Motion.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, just 12 episodes. The good news is that it's been picked up for another season. Cool.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The last one I saw absolutely nothing happened. It seemed to be leading up to something and then stopped dead in it's tracks. Looking forward to the next ep (it's on Sunday nights here)

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I get the sentiment because it's not a fast paced, action oriented type of show. As they say, it's a slow-burn mystery drama which perfectly reflects the foreboding, austere and stunningly shot environment. Things do pickup though in the latter episodes. I think it's great.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lots of first episodes of British shows have the first ten or twenty minutes that are incomprehensible but Fortitude was totally incomprehensible until Stanley Tucci's character was introduced. I defy anyone to figure out what was going on watching the first episode cold.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You weren't supposed to 'figure out' what was going on in the first few episodes. In fact, things aren't properly revealed until the last few. The whole point of the show is that it's a mystery. I had absolutely no problems with it from the very start. It kept me wanting to know more about what was going on, which is a sign of a good show.

zobalob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.