I'm a guy and a Sailor Moon fan. Should I stop watching it?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DiabloG, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die Thread Starter

I feel this needs to be addressed. Here's the thing; I'm a guy... and I actually like watching Sailor Moon. That can't be good, right? It's not the only anime I watch, but it's the one that sorta hooked me into checking some more out. Before you immediately assume that only I watch it due to the scantily clad female characters (which I don't), read my post below from the Guilty Pleasures thread to see why I like this anime.

Well, there are 2 things that are holding me back upon watching it now. The first is that another forum member has recommended me to stop watching since I intend to get a girlfriend someday. I'm trying to hold off getting a GF anytime soon and focus on more important matters, so I don't really have any point to stop watching for that reason (yet). The second and main problem holding me back is that someone commented on one of my YouTube videos that "Sailor Moon is for pedophiles" (since one of the characters was in my avatar that I forgot to replace). I know that this is just a YouTube comment (and YT is full of these kinds of comments), but it already got 1 helpful vote, so now I'm feeling really embarrassed and horrible for watching it. Now I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Should I still watch and enjoy Sailor Moon for the time being, or should I just give up on it altogether?

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Watch whatever the heck you enjoy watching, and don't let opinionated d-bags ruin your fun. I've been watching anime for 30 years, and I've seen plenty magical girl shows, some of which I really enjoyed (first and foremost, Cardcaptor Sakura - I'm a sucker for all things CLAMP).

You know you're watching something questionable when you're uncomfortable watching it. Until then, enjoy Sailor Moon!

By the way, my wife of 3.5 years has also watched a lot of the anime shows I enjoy, including Cardcaptor Sakura. While she liked it OK, it's not her favorite. Guess what? We're still married and enjoying anime together, so it can be done.

3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Are women hanging out in your front lawn in tents and sleeping bags waiting to woo you as soon as you leave the house? Or do you know of somewhere one can pick up a GF as easily a loaf of bread? Perhaps you're just a super stud and you pick up women at your leisure. If only most of us could be so lucky. Sorry, I'm joking. I know what you mean here but your wording is wacky.

Anyway, I remember Sailor Moon airing next to another show about guys with powers and big weapons. I don't remember the name of it, but looking back I think it was interesting that there were two shows airing back to back aiming squarely for two different audiences. Sometimes I would watch both, and from I remember Sailor Moon had entertaining and compelling storylines. I also don't think there's anything wrong with a guy watching a show where females are the heroes. If anything there should be more stories like that. I also don't think you should worry about an anime show you enjoy ruining any potential future relationships you may have. Would you end things with a girl if you discovered she was into, I don't know, WWF wrestling?

Do whatever makes you happy. As long as you're not affecting anyone else in a negative way, there's no reason to even think about it.

DiabloG likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So you're a Sailor Moon fan, not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

5. SkarletStarling

SkarletStarling Well-Known Member

Honestly...who cares what other people think? Don't let other people's opinions ruin your enjoyment of Sailor Moon!

I've been called 'b*tch' and told many times to go back to the kitchen while playing video games online. And that don't stop me from enjoying and playing video games. In fact it makes the wins better, seeing how the players rage when I beat them.

6. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Just do you bro. Chicks dig dudes who don't give a fu¢¢. That's where it's at. Not letting the outside world determine how you live YOUR life.

We either free ourselves of the shackles and chains brought upon us with approval dependence, or continue to live and make decisions out of fear.

We're all weird. We're all imperfect. Be you.

Love.

DiabloG likes this.
  7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I thought this thread was about that running joke in Big Bang Theory.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Stop now

9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

My son(27) runs an anime club, and is currently deep into the new redone Sailor Moon. He hadn't pulled the old set in a couple of years. He says "this ain't your kid sisters Sailor Moon". He is right.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there are worst choices I'm sure...you should have no guilt!

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

words in stone around here...

12. John54

John54 Senior Member

You had me at "scantily clad women". Suddenly I get the nagging feeling that I've been missing something ...

Seriously, watch whatever you like. I don't apologize for enjoying 1-2-3 Red Light by the 1910 Fruitgum Co.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

There are far, far pervier animes you could be watching.

14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Do you have any Pioneer audio gear?

Shawn and Scott222C like this.
  15. Indeed, it's not like he's a brony.

16. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

:laugh: :cheers:

17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

You should watch it 24/7 until the obsession wears off.

18. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die Thread Starter

I honestly don't get the appeal of MLP (whatever the new show is called). I'm really tired of seeing images of it EVERYWHERE on the friggin' internet (even somewhere on this very forum). After a friend showed me a 2 minute clip one day, I slammed his computer shut and told him that MLP was the worst piece of **** I've ever seen. He just laughed and told me that it isn't for everyone. I'm very glad that I don't watch the show and have not/will not fall victim to its curse :cool:
    With that said, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I feel much better about watching Sailor Moon now and realize I that I may as well watch it anyway even if I'm being judged. After all, you only live once, right? :D

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

*tips fedora*

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Life is short. Like what you like. It doesn't hurt anybody. :)

DiabloG and SkarletStarling like this.
  21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

He knows he likes it. The question was, should he stop watching it? That is something he must decide, whether life is long or short or in between... :)

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's like I don't even know you. Which only makes sense, since I don't! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.