The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes) Side 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Is there any mix differences between the High Resolution downloads for Odds and Sods and Who's/Two's Missing vs. the SHM-CDs?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

Who's/Two's Missing don't have the bonus tracks that are on the CDs. I'm a Boy reverts to the single version instead of the MBBB version.

Odds & Sods has at least a few different mixes.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks, which tracks have different mixes on Odds & Sods?

6. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been covered, but is the version of "Cousin Kevin Model Child" the same mix as the 2008 SHM-CD or a new mix?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Young Man Blues, We Close Tonight, Cousin Kevin Model Child... @RobCooper can probably fill in more details.

8. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

This is what I found:

Just doing a quick comparison with the samples of Odds and Sods on ProStudioMasters:

I'm The Face - harmonica in the right, but the SHM CD had it in the left. Is this a new mix?
    Under My Thumb - mono version (sounds terrible and has a horrible swishy sound!) compared to the 1998 stereo remix on the SHM
    Young Man Blues - gone with the HTTB mix from the Tommy Super Deluxe. Same needledrop.
    Cousin Kevin Model Child - a brand new stereo mix!
    Love Aint For Keeping (Record Plant) - sounds same as the mix on the HD Who's Next
    We Close Tonight - new mix with Keith's count-in!

the rest is the same as the SHM-CD just in high res. The Mary Anne is the album version with a clean intro and ending.

lukpac likes this.
  9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Could somebody refresh my memory -- "HTTB" = ?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

bobloblaw and Mike Dow like this.
  11. Does anyone else notice some really bad breakup (digital corruption?) going on in the Hi-Res STEREO mix of "Disguises" after the break, from 2:08 to 2:09? It sounds really awful compared to the same spot on the version off the 1995 30 Years box, and I'm surprised they let this error slip through when mastering this.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, and the 2008 box has the same problem.

13. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Exciting The Who, I'm A Boy, Magic Bus The Who on Tour question-I may be able to pick up the Japanese versions of these CD's, are any or all of these must have discs? I have all the recent HDTracks hi-res releases and the Japanese SHM-SACDs & the SHM-CD releases of Who's/Two's Missing, Odds and Sods, and the My Gen and A Quick One boxes, have I got everything the 3 titles from Japan above have?

14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Exciting the Who is the only place to get 'Waltz for a Pig', the b-side of 'Substitute'. It's not by the Who, but it's an important footnote to their singles discography if you're in any way completist (i.e. it's the only reason I picked up that disc).

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Used to have a live version on a vinyl bootleg.....interesting song. Thanks for the tip about Exciting....ordered a copy(even though "Waltz" isn't really The Who).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  16. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

With these vinyl reissues, is there any chance that this mix of the relatively full Live At Leeds might see it's way across multiple slabs of wax?

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I would buy it!

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Sonically, no but they are cool to look at.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

For the anal retentive folks, I'm A Boy is still the best digital source for some of the stereo AQO tracks.

Natural E likes this.
  20. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Interesting "new" release on HDtracks, Who's Next Deluxe Edition from Geffen records.

Edit: It is on ProStudioMasters as well. Now there are *two* versions of the Deluxe Edition there. Odd.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  21. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Same running time, $2 difference.:shrug: -E

22. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

23. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Geffen? That's quite bizarre. If anyone picks it up, it'll be interesting to see if there are any differences at all.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nothing odd about Geffen. What's odd is it appears to be exactly the same with a new date.

25. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.