Which mail-order source do you use the most for your new vinyl purchases?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by wownflutter, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Soundstage Direct is my #1 and Amazon is my #2. I only use the latter if it's a risky pressing (Untied/Rainbo) and I think it has a higher risk of defect and they are hassle free or if I'm ordering 1 lp at a time. I only started using Amazon more often recently, I forgot to discontinue my Prime in December so now I need to take advantage of it!

Soundstage Direct is good on returns, I just feel worse reporting it back to them. If that makes sense.

I also use Music Direct, Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds periodically if they have something SSD doesn't have in stock or just better pricing.

If I'm ordering imports I've used jpc.de and juno.uk. Oddly enough for the Nick Cave imports I used Deep Discount.

2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I try to buy directly from the label whenever possible. Amazon isn't generally a good place to go for vinyl if you want the best price, but there's always exceptions. I'm fond of Light In The Attic, Superior Viaduct, and Cleopatra. Friendly, quality service all around.

3. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

A little off subject, but I used to live in Dallas and miss Taylor Books SOOO much...

I do most of my shopping off of Amazon, just ordered Magical Mystery Tour in Mono and it came in great condition, I am not sure if that is the best place for prices, but I haven't had any problem with Amazon customer service, and I order a lot of stuff (I do have some problems with third party sellers from time to time, ordering a SACD and them sending you a CD, but I don't think that is Amazons fault, and I always get my money back, but this does happen more than it should).

Licorice pizza likes this.
  4. UMO

UMO Forum Resident

jpc.de

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I voted "other" because I buy from whoever is the cheapest, I am a Yorkshire Man after-all.

I use a combination of the 3rd party sellers on Amazon, plus Spin CD's, What Records and Diverse Vinyl amongst others.

6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Squidco
    Mimaroglu
    Wayside
    Forced Exposure
    Volcanic Tongue

7. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I use Soundstage Direct and Bullmoose. They both have good prices and easy returns. Even though I pay for Amazon Prime I still prefer the others for LPs (and CDs).

8. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member Thread Starter

Best buy has almost 700 lps on sale right now.
    Usually the sales don't last very long.
    I just bit the bullet on 17 new lps.
    Wife is gonna kill me......

9. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I buy new vinyl from Dead Wax outside Dallas in Carrollton. They can pre-order special order if they don't have it. I picked up 3 Rush re-issues last week (Fly By Night, COS, 2112)
    There is also Josie (new & used) which is new and growing.
    Of course there is Forever Young which is a premium but sometimes recent OOP items can still be found making the price ok (I bought Classic LZ records there shortly after going OOP and starting to rise in price)
    Docs in Ft. Worth has new records.
    Mad World in Denton has new records and will order.
    Recycled in Denton got Record Store Day items and a few new records
    The various Movie Trading Company stores get good Record Store Day selections and have some new vinyl
    There are others like Good Records and of course for used many HPB stores with 50% off coupon days.

jamesc, artfromtex and 80sjunkie like this.
  10. I use Amazon and eBay. I think Elusive Disc and Soundstage Direct are terrific stores, but their shipping costs to my country aren't precisely low. That's the reason why the online record store that I love the most is this one. They may not have a huge stock, but many things can be found there. And their shipping costs (to my country, at least) are really low!

11. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Amazon -- excellent packaging, mostly good prices, two-day delivery, customer-friendly and simple return process. I'll sometimes go with ImportCDs if the price is way better and I'm not in a big hurry.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  12. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Amazon. I'm all about supporting local but for the most part I am always disappointed in my main local record store. They charge a premium (not that big of a deal) more than everywhere else. Used vinyl is rediculously overpriced. Every single thing I've seen there I can easily get for cheaper and usually in much better condition on eBay (i haven't dug through the dollar crates much but I would be very surprised if they missed something they could charge over $10 for).

One time I went in there looking for some reggae/dancehall stuff for my brother-in-law for Christmas and the only decent album they had was a Beres Hammond compilation. They had it double the price of a buy it now NM one on ebay. I went up to the counter to see if they would knock some of the price off since it had marker scribbled over the back to say what each song charted to and their answer was, "we don't ever get any reggae in this town, so we charge a lot for it." Bought it anyway because I am a sucker and I needed a last minute gift.

Also, the last time I bought new vinyl there, one of the albums had a scratch through a song, and the other was very warped. They were suspicious of me when I brought them back because "people return things a lot there because their crummy turntables skip a lot even if the album is fine" (nothing to do with my problems). So they took them out and checked and were very unpleasant and untrustworthy about the whole thing.

I will say they do a good job with RSD and were happy to exchange my Neil Young box last year when I got home and realized that one of the sleeves was sliced with a boxcutter and something else was wrong with another one.

With amazon, and to some extent eBay (it is more of a hassle) I can return to my hearts content with no questions asked and no-one talking to me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm very jealous of the people who talk like eBay is a rip-off compared to their local record stores.

13. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Soundstage Direct is generally my #1. Free shipping at $49.99 and their packaging is absolutely bombproof! :uhhuh:

Davidmk5 likes this.
  14. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

Can't believe everyone isn't using Bull Moose. You're all amateurs!

Davidmk5 and CCrider92 like this.
  15. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Lately - the past 16 or 17 months - it's been Bull Moose!

Davidmk5 likes this.
  16. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

This is all true. I'd just say that given how large the Dallas area is, record store density is still low compared to Austin.

There's also ZT Records in Frisco.
    Fry's seems to have gotten rid of their vinyl section, but maybe they're just moving it?
    CD Universe in Carrollton carries a limited selection of new vinyl though they can do special orders.
    Sadly, CD Source is gone. They carried a ton of vinyl.

Used to be a regular record show schedule around here for a long time until it died out a few years ago. Seems to be reviving: http://www.meetup.com/Dallas-Record-Collectors/events/205796092/

jamesc likes this.
  17. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

I'll use whomsoever doesn't charge 25% of the price of the album for shipping.

JPartyka and Revolver like this.
  18. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Yeah - when I was in Chicago up until a few years ago it was mostly all local stores. Now that I am in NC its 95% Amazon and some Music Direct.

19. I use Elusive Disc, but I always wait until they have a percent off sale, plus free ship over $99. They have always provided solid service the few times I have needed to return anything.

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Amazon. I've done a few new LP purchases from eBay, none from the others listed.

21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I spent three hours in Josie Records recently and left with nothing. I think that is a first for me at a new record store. They have a huge inventory but it's mostly beat up junk and way overpriced. They only sort by letter so it takes forever to look through stuff. I hope they improve.

22. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

Online: Soundstagedirect. Solid customer service, though shipping times can be kind of lengthy. I also order from musicdirect if I can't find something at soundstage but they make you pay for return shipping even if you get a damaged/defective record.

Locally: Amoeba Records and Mount Analog in the LA area.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I use Music Direct and Soundstage Direct for the most part. I can get 10% off and free shipping. Of course, I have to order a few lps at a time so I have to plan ahead. I guess that is what the wish list is for. The customer service is excellent as is the packaging. Music Direct uses Fed Ex which is much better than the USPS or UPS.

I have used Amazon but only if the price is much better. Amazon doesn't discount lps very much and will hit me with tax. The packaging and delivery service is horrible.

24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Bullmoose about 75% of the time, mainly amazon for the rest. I've got prime and occasionally an album will be $3-4 cheaper on amazon... though for big orders, no-tax Bullmose more than makes up for any minor price differences.

Bullmoose's customer service is top notch, too.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  25. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

Eclipse
    Weirdo
    Discogs
    eBay
    Aquarius

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.