The Eagles "Long Run" Redux

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cryingbluerain, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup...A blatant cash grab. For a really boring overly-doctored piece of product, no less.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That was a disappointing release to say the least. The sequencing on the "themed" discs is interesting to a degree, but there were some omissions. Additionally, while the band asserts there is no outtake material, clearly there is more to the story. The Long Run "leftovers" medley was a tease; certainly one or two of those instrumental backing tracks could have been included. Felder's alternate lead vocal on Victim Of Love could have been included. There were clearly multiple live shows recorded circa 1976 and 1980 that could have provided unreleased, alternate live tracks. Outtakes from the late-90's aborted album sessions could have been included. A complete New Years Eve concert recording could have been included instead of the truncated version they released. Not that this box set needed to be an archives dump, but there was certainly more archival options that could have enhanced the set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

Interesting topic, they certainly could have done a lot better had Henley spent some time writing lyrics and melodies for Walsh's and Felder's songs...guess he had other occupations. As for Frey, if you read Felder's book, you'll find out he's never been a very prolific writer, in fact he had a knack for "piggybacking" on existing songs...

4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Who is this by?

5. "Second Hand Store" (Mike Murphy, Walsh) from But Seriously Folks

6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Yikes. I even own the lp. Thanks.

7. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Completely disagree.

8. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's my second attempt at a LONG RUN REDUX:
    (60 minutes long)

SIDE A:
    The Long Run
    I Can't Tell You Why
    In The City
    Heartache Tonight
    Second Hand Store
    Those Shoes
    Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride)

SIDE B:
    Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk)
    The Sad Cafe'
    Told You So
    The Disco Strangler
    King Of Hollywood
    At The Station
    Long Run Leftovers (bonus track)

"Second Hand Store" and "At The Station" are from But Seriously Folks and feature backing vocals by the other Eagles and guitar by Don Felder.
    "Heavy Metal" by Don Felder is from the Heavy Metal soundtrack. Features Henley and Schmit on backing vocals.
    "Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk)" and "Told You So" are outtakes from The Long Run sessions written by Walsh/Felder. Both feature Felder on guitar.

dharmabumstead likes this.
  9. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

I believe "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks" may be one of the several songs to which Randy Newman gave an uncredited lyric assist.

Tony Sclafani likes this.
  10. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Not to mention Glyn Johns' On the Border

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Chintzy (the 4CD set would almost fit on 3CDs), not much collector bait, and a Millennium concert instead of an archival concert...

The box was what you get when you have bean counters and control freaks at the helm.

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Were those two recorded in the 70's?

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I also remember around the time the box set was announced, that Azoff stated that the band also planned on releasing various archival concerts through Eagles Recording Company (probably was referring to the 1976 LA Forum tapes, the 1980 Santa Monica Civic Auditorium tapes , and 1980 Long Beach Arena tapes recorded for Eagles Live). Shortly thereafter, Felder was fired and filed his lawsuit, so it appears any plans for archival sets were put into a permanent holding pattern.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Is there a more dreary, boring song than "Life's Been Good"? Every time it comes on the radio, I'm diving to turn the station.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Hmmm...not boring to me. Ever heard opera?

RoyalScam and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ok, fair enough. Does clarifying as "rock tune" help?

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

The millennium concert isn't an issue, the fact the cd is like 50 minutes is

18. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Always loved that tune, especially the jaded rock star lyrics. They also don't play it very often anymore, so I'm not too burned on it.

So how is this for an album:

SIDE ONE:

Long Run
    I Can't Tell You Why
    In the City
    At The Station
    King of Hollywood

SIDE TWO:

Heartache Tonight
    Those Shoes
    Life of Illusion
    Life's Been Good
    All Night Long

All hits except King of Hollywood.

This would have been such a huge album! But...way too much Walsh. Which is fine by me, but Frey/Henley would have felt threatened. I think that is probably why those weak Frey/Henley tracks were put on there. Royalties.

Checked out those Felder songs from Heavy Metal....I know he wrote Hotel CA and, along with Walsh, had the best chops, but those tunes are IMO derivative and dull. (As is River of Funk and most of the Long Run medley.)

19. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

There is also Please Come Home For Christmas, which they out out because it was taking do long to record The Long Run. It has the advantage of being an actual Eagles song. It's a cover but I have always liked their version. While a Christmas song is probably more appropriate for a single than a regular album track, Christmas Must Be Tonight did end up as a track on Islands (although it was recorded to be a single that never happened). I'd certainly rather have this on the album than Teenage Jail. Can't say as I feel the same about the b-side Funky New a Year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.