Fantagraphics "Complete Peanuts" coming out on paperback

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

I didn't even know they'd started doing this. They've actually released the first two volumes (1950-52 and 1953-54) already. Same contents as the hardcovers, but different cover art.

If you haven't sprung for the hardcover sets yet, this is a more affordable option. As with the hardback versions, these will also be available in two-volume slipcase sets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Man, I started picking up the hardcover two-volume slipcase versions, but stopped after the first 3. I've wanted to go back and catch up, but I wonder if it's too late (if they've ballooned in price).

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've always been interested in the hardcover sets, but getting into this series is intimidating. Way back when I was in grade school in the 70s, I used to read the collection that were being put out and enjoyed them. I could tell by the artwork that some of the strips were pretty old, but I'm not sure when they were originally published.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I bailed on the collection after... 1977/78, I think? Just didn't enjoy enough of the strips to be worth my while, honestly.

Killed my completist gene to stop, but I simply didn't get much pleasure from the last few books I did buy...

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well heck, maybe I'll get to collect these books after all. :)

I'm only interested up until the 80's, if even that far. I grew up with Peanuts and owned many of the paperback collections (even some of the very old ones where Charlie Brown looks like he's about 4). It'd be nice to read them all again.

6. DreadPikathulhu

Yeah, that's my problem. Once I start I have to get the whole set.

Keith V likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

You know, I think Charlie Brown was supposed to be 4 years old when the strip started! I re-read them not long ago and he's the youngest of the crew at that time.

Eventually he and the "older kids" - Shermy, Patty, Violet - ended up the same age, as did "younger kids" like Lucy and Linus. Schulz didn't seem to care much about age continuity! :D

dkmonroe likes this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Terrific! I don't have any of the hardcover books but I may have to get these paperbacks! They sound like really wonderful collections.done with care.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I got all the hardcover slipcased editions. I have my mother buy one for me each Christmas. When this series started the end seemed so far off in the future. And now here we are in the home stretch. I am sooooo far behind in my reading. I never made it out of the 60's. I haven't even opened the last 5 sets to even look at them. I think the problem is the books are so handsome and precious I can't just bring them into the can with me or leave them laying around the house or taking them into the car to read while my wife goes shopping. I have this problem with most of my hardcovers. I like my books to be pristine. This makes me wish I hadn't ditched all my Stephen King paperbacks for my elitist hardcover library. Now I have a beautiful bookshelf but I can't read anything without feeling anxious. I'm just gonna have to get over this and bring the Peanuts books into the can with me. You only live once. Books were made to be read. If I happen to set my Peanuts 1966-1967 book in a puddle of soapy sink water that is the way the cookie crumbles.

10. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have the first two volumes in paperback and hardcover. I think I am just going to keep getting the paperbacks on release date for now on since I find them easier to read. I opted for the paperback of the Complete Calvin and Hobbes for the same reason.

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

DO IT! They're BOOKS! They need handling! :laugh:

I always wanted to buy one of those huge, heavy antique Bibles as my reading copy, so I could feel that I was not reading some wimpy little faux-leather paperback, but I was reading THE BIBLE. I wanted it to BOOM when I laid it on the table.

I'm over it now! :laugh:

Keith V and pscreed like this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

Heh, I did the the same thing. I had all of the King paperbacks with bent spines, creases, and tears and replaced them with hardcovers. I ended up getting rid of the hardcovers in a purge last year because they were so big and heavy and hard to move.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

As for the hardcover editions, I only have 3 or 4 to buy. I'm stopping after 1975-76. When Spike appeared, and Sally pretty much became the focal fussbudget instead of Lucy, I lost interest. But those first 25 years were just incredibly enjoyable and very influential upon me. I bought them all faithfully when they first appeared, but finances dictated I stop for a while. I hope they're still available!

Oatsdad likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

i've been getting the twofers

[​IMG]

Jerry Horne likes this.
  15. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

My sister in law is one of those folks that like to give hand crafted gifts at Christmas. Last year she went into my brother's den/garage, took a selection of Steven King hardbacks off his shelves, and made "book safes" out of them. This involves gluing all the pages together, and carving out the middle so you've basicly still got the cover, but when you open it it's like Lee Van Cleef's Bible and you can just stash your piece or stash in there or whatever.

Yeah I know.

16. DreadPikathulhu

The twofers are definitely the way to go with Fantagraphics. I've been doing that with the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck sets. They look really sharp on the shelf, especially when they use an odd book size.

Scope J likes this.
  17. DreadPikathulhu

I just stash my stash in plain sight. That way I don't forget where I stashed it.

pscreed likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

READ THEM and enjoy them...books are meant to be read. I do understand where you are coming from. you could always wear gloves!

Keith V likes this.
  19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Has the divorce been finalized yet? :D

pscreed likes this.
  20. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

I guess there are a few other changes/omissions to the paperback editions:

http://blog.fivecentsplease.org/2014/06/the-complete-peanuts-1991-1992-new.html

21. Oatsdad

Since the paperbacks don't list for much less than the hardbacks, I don't really get the appeal! :shrug:

Keith V and Scope J like this.
  22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I agree. You can find the hardcover boxed sets for very reasonable prices, still (I've been checking around). One thing you'll find is that the 1963-1966 boxed set is sold out everywhere and going for stupid prices (if they're actually selling for those prices).

Well just as an FYI, I emailed Fantagraphics to find out if they had plans to reprint that box set, and they said they DO plan to reprint it toward the end of 2015. So don't buy into the insane price-gouging if you're looking to buy that box set.

If you still think you want the original box set because they're first printings, I'm fairly sure they're not anyway. I seem to remember the books in the box sets I own - which I purchased as soon as they were released - aren't first printings.

EDIT: I don't want to appear that I'm dumping on the softcovers, by the way. It's great to have options, and they do look quite nice design-wise.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  23. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have a large hardcover Peanuts book from the 80s somewhere. Its red with a white book cover over it.
    I used to love reading it when i was younger.

Keith V likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Devil on my shoulder telling me to sell mine for stupid price while I can and then rebuy the set when it is reprinted.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  25. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'd be tempted to sell one if I had it as well. Of course, just because Fantagraphics says they plan to reprint it in late 2015 doesn't mean it's a certainty - stuff happens.

BTW, I checked my 1950-54 box set last night. The 1950-52 book is a second printing, and the 1953-54 book is a first printing. So just don't expect the box sets to all contain first printings if that's your thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.