When You're Stuck with Only the Radio, What do You Listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I'm EXTREMELY lucky to have one of the best stations in the country in my area. 90.3, KEXP. I actually CHOOSE to listen to the radio on a daily basis.

jfeldt likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Sometimes, Silence Is Golden!

Former Scientist and Steve G like this.
  3. The Deacon

The Deacon Well-Known Member

4. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

That, or NPR. Another go-to for me here in the NYC metro area is WKCR (89.9 FM) for jazz, "new music," and, of course, old Phil Schaap for Bird Flight in the morning. "The home of technical difficulties" indeed.

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

NPR
    WFMT Classical station
    WDCB Jazz station (this is in the suburbs and doesn't come in very well through most of Chicago, but when I can hear it it's nice)

Occasionally I check to see if there's something surprising on the rock stations. On one I heard the band Triumph recently for the first time since the early 80's.

6. My colleagues at work like oldies stations and classic rock stations. Sadly there isn't anything better in the Netherlands right now. I used to listen to the now defunct For The Record by Mart Smeets and Leo Blokhuis, I wish more DJ's would play the kind of things they played.

7. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

In that type of limited situation I would go with either sports talk radio, or check out the local hip-hop station where ever I was. Hip hop radio can still be GOOD, and urban radio DJs are probably the only place left that have DJ's with actual personalities/idiosyncrasies and with great "radio voices." For whatever reason they are more resistant to the Clear Channel homogeneity and narrow playlists.

jfeldt likes this.
  8. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

NPR, KEXP, or one of the two sports radio stations in town.

I haven't listened to a classic rock station is a long, long time

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Talk. Usually sports. I never, ever, listen to music on the radio.

10. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

I'm kind of lucky. I live about 10 miles from a local station that is locally owned. True, it's your usual modern computer-in-a-corner-cranking-out-mp3's station and half the time Captain Obvious aka John Tesh has his canned know-it-all b.s. added in between songs. However...this station seems to have the deepest and most unpredictable library of any commercial station that I've heard in a long, long time. It's quite a relief in a sea of radio stations that have been playing the same 143 songs for the past 35 cursing cursing years. So quite often I have that on.

Up by our cabin in Northern WI is a rare little gem known as Community Radio, this case in point is WXPR out of Rhinelander, WI. They play some NPR material, but a lot of homegrown shows where the dj picks whatever they want to play, often on vinyl. Weeknights there's an ala carte free for all known as "Northwoods Café" followed by back to back airings of David Dye's "World Café". Friday nights include a 6 hour blues show. Saturdays, it's polkas in the morning, bluegrass all afternoon and vintage country in the evening. It's a great little station.

There's also a representative of a dying breed known as the Hometown Radio Station... WJJQ in Tomahawk. You remember, the kind of radio station that breaks in to report a lost cat or dog... that has a call-in 'swap shop', sort of an on-air rummage sale... that broadcasts local high school sports events. And on Saturdays, hosts their own oldies day which is surprisingly good. Except for overnight, there's a real live person there in front of a microphone...a rarity these days indeed.

Contrast that to the Madison, WI metro area where I work. Nothing but Clear Channel I Heart Radio garbage. Yuck. Well, there is WORT, but it's a little too esoteric for me...

11. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

The Mets during baseball season, ESPN's football games on Sundays during football season, the voices in my head during the rest of the year.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

NPR or Sports Talk

13. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

We have a classic country music station that frequently plays good old country. Sometimes they get on an '80s country kick and turn the radio off for awhile.

14. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

KYDS 91.5 FM. It's run by students at El Camino Fundamental High School in Sacramento, but frequently plays music more to my liking than the other "rock" stations I've heard here.

15. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Power 106 and Jack FM

16. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

In Atlanta I only listen to the radio on my drive in to work. I listen to Mornings at Rock 100.5. I used to intern there and have a soft spot for that morning show. If that show doesn't catch my attention I will tune into 97.9 the River and hope they don't overplay Phil Collins, The Eagles, or Def Leopard which they seem to do anyways.

If the radio is not cutting it, I throw in my ear buds and listen to the Marc Maron podcast from my iphone.

17. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i like to catch the Musers in the morning on the Ticket

DLD likes this.
  18. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

97.7 FM Saint George for 60s, 70s & 80s country.
    103.7 FM Las Vegas for Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones, Wayne Newton, Carpenters and other classic adult contemporary.
    102.3 FM La Verkin for old AOR format rock.
    95.9 FM Saint George for mostly 80s rock and radio shows like The House Of Hair, Monsters Of Rock and Nights With Alice Cooper.
    (The contemporary pop stations are repeat hell)

19. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Usually Radio 3 or Classic FM just for a change of pace. PM on Radio 4 if Eddie Mair is on.

20. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

I listen to the left side of the dial as it is---a number of National Public Radio affiliates and an FM talk station in the area. If and when those aren't enough, that's what satellite radio is for.

I miss XM.

21. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Either WAAF here in Boston, or Sports Radio WEEI also in Boston

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Funny you should pick that tune - I thought it looked familiar and went looking through my "shazam history" - I'd heard the same song and been impressed by it, having never heard about the woman before...

In regards to your question, I used to be a fan of AAA radio as they seemed to have more variety than most, playing both newer and older music and dabbling in rock and blues and singer/songwriter stuff and so forth. Unfortunately, though, my local AAA station has completely gone down the tubes in the last year or so, and they're virtually indistinguishable from a lot of "pop" stations, with repetition being the name of the game. I can't bear to listen to them for more than 30 minutes or so nowadays. I've won bucketloads of stuff off the station over the years, so I kind of miss the "rewards" but I just can't handle any more Phillip Phillips or Jack Johnson or Maroon 5 or any of that stuff. :faint:

I know some AAA stations still manage variety. This nifty website shows you what your local station has played most in the past week, just plug in your station's call letters in the address. I've always heard good things about WXRT in Chicago, for example, and this shows they're only playing a handful of songs more than twice/day. That's tolerable, IMO, if the rest of their mix is reasonably adventurous:
    http://fmqb.com/charts.asp?format=10&cs=WXRT-FM
    My station, however, is playing all their top 20 songs between 3-7 times/day. I just don't understand the logic behind that:
    http://fmqb.com/charts.asp?format=10&cs=KRVB-FM
    And if you think THAT'S bad, take a look at this top 40 station in our market:

http://fmqb.com/charts.asp?format=1&cs=KSAS-FM
    They're playing their top 5 songs ONE HUNDRED THIRTY TIMES/WEEK! That's 19 times/day! Almost every hour!

In the past month or two I've really been enjoying listening to the classical music station instead, exposing myself to stuff that I've never really listened to in my life.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  23. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Talk Radio. No more good music ... nor even good old music stations.

24. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Honestly if I was stuck with only radio I would go for a sports talker, or maybe go left of the dial and see if anything interesting was going on in that market in whatever area I was in (it varies WIDELY, depending)... Other than that, I might just switch off.

25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

There's 3 good tracks on the album, that one included. The rest are booooring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.