Upgrading from RP1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Froachie, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Froachie

Froachie Well-Known Member Thread Starter

After consulting with Bes at Music Direct, I have two options narrowed down and I would like some feedback as to what might be the best path to take.

Current equipment is Rega RP1 with performance pack and Rega Fono Mini A2D phono stage.

My budget is around $2k, but I can extend it up to maybe $2300. Music Direct is giving me a good deal on either option.

Option 1:

Clearaudio Concept MM
    Lehmann Black Cube Phono Stage

Option 2:

VPI Scout 1.1
    Ortofon Blue

With option 2, I will be stuck with the rega fono mini a2d as my phono stage for a while until i can afford a better one. I'm not sure if the fono mini will be a good fit for the VPI, so thats why I'm hesitant going the VPI route.

Any advice, alternatives, suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I upgraded from a RP1 performance pack (which I kept as a backup). I bought a RP6 with Exact. I use the internal phono stage in the Brio R. Very satisfied with my Rega centric kit. Good luck with whichever you choose.

timztunz likes this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of the cheap VPIs. IMHO VPI isn't where its at till you hit the Classic series. Specifically the arm and motor on the traveler and scout.

Concepts a good table but their cartridges while decent are just worked over Audio Technicas.

Personally, having just finished looking for a TT in that range, I upgraded from an SL1200, I'd go with the Rega RP6 a 2m Blue. Though since youre talking about using the Lehmann, I'd give strong consideration to a Denon Dl301 or a Ortophon Quintet Red. The Lehmann works great with LOMC carts.

The RP6 with the Denon Dl301 through the Lehmann would be an awesome combo. It would blow away the Scout with the cheap Rega pre and 2m Blue, and you actually would have the practical benefit of a dustcover.

Froachie likes this.
  4. Froachie

The Denon cart you are referring to is the
    Denon DL-301 II MC Phono Cartridge?

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I upgraded from the RP1 to the Concept MM, and eventually got the Concept MC cartridge for it. The combination is stunning, and would be my recommendation. I used it with an inexpensive phono stage at the time with great results.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

VPI Scout 1.1
    Ortofon Blue

The aluminum platter is much more substantial on the VPI than on the Clear Audio and I think that alone pushes it over the top. I like the isolation feet on the VPI better than the Clear and I think VPI makes a hell of a good tone arm. I'm not 100% sure but I think that VPI comes with the clamp. If it does, that would be another good reason to choose the VPI. I am really amazed at the difference that clamp makes.

If you can go to store and hear it yourself that would be ideal. I have heard that exact setup and I thought it was very nice.

Rolltide likes this.
  7. russk

russk Forum Resident

That's it. Nice LOMC. The Lehmann is an awesome phono pre. Might as well take advantage of it. I ran the original for 2 years. Loved it and will probably go back to it for my next system.

Also I'd add to all this that dealer support can be a wonderful thing if you can buy locally. Either the Clearaudio or the Rega would work well with that cartridge.

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Where are you located? Can you get to any hi-fi shops in your area?
    -Bill

9. Froachie

In in Naples, FL. I can't find any dealers in South Florida that carry Clearaudio.

One local guy carries Rega though. I would love to hear the Clearaudio before I buy it, even with the just the mm cart.

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You should have a Rega dealer nearby. I'd trade your set in for an RP6, a better phono stage (the Rega Fono MM is excellent) and cartridge. You should be able to do that in your budget. The Lehmann is also a good phono stage, although more expensive, and your local dealer may be able to supply that as well.
    -Bill

raferx and Froachie like this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What's the matter with the Scout and it's tonearm?

12. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Nothing, I owned a Scout several years ago and it was a fine table.

13. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Scout 1.1 is excellent and a 9" unipivot. You are probably thinking of Scout Jr.

14. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Scout 1.1 is an awesome table. Actually one of my favorites in the line when you factor in price.

It's an incredible table at the $2k retail price. Lots of bang for the buck.

15. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Have you checked with any of your local VPI dealers? I think you have 2 that are sort of close to you (probably less then 2 hours away for both of them).

They may be willing to take your RP1 and Fono on trade to help make the price better (I know that I would).

16. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I've been debating something similar for the past two weeks. I have dealer that has both TT's so I've been able to compare the two. They both sounded great and don't think you can make a mistake either way. For me it came down to which I enjoyed listening to more.

The Scout 1.1 had an Ortofon 2M Bronze and the Concept had an Artist V2 on it. IMO The Concept was very musical and the scout sounded a bit too analytical, so I'm leaning toward the Concept. I'm going back this week to listen to the Concept again with a Benz Ace H on it.

I also really liked the 33/45/75 rpm knob. I hate messing with cables and I have enough 45's that it's enough of a factor.

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

All TTs in this price range aren't perfect. There are a couple of posters on this forum that have had problems with their VPI tables and getting support. The bearing for the TA coming appart and motor issues and hum are the more common complaints.

18. russk

russk Forum Resident

Hmmmm that could be it. The bottom two VPI tables.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The analytical sound of the Scout may have something to do with the cartridge that is being used by the dealer and not a characteristic of the turntable itself. I had the very same cartridge mounted on a Rega P2 for three years. Compared to other TT/cartridge combos I've had since then, the 2M Bronze is more "sterile" sounding.

20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Just me, but if I owned a working 1200 I don't think I would want to upgrade. Of course a vertical tangential Mitsubishi would appeal yet more to me but hey that's just me. What the heck; I'd like to have both.

CARPEYOLO likes this.
  21. That's perfect for the rp 6 and groovetracer sub.

22. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Scout Jr and Traveler. I like the Scout Jr, Traveler was a bit of a mess, apparently.

23. Froachie

I ended up getting the concept and lehmann black cube. I'm setting it up now but I have one little problem.

The ground wire from the concept has two prongs and they do not fit around the ground post of the phono stage. The post has a hole in it for a bare wire.

I rather not strip the ground wire unless I have no choice?

Anyone encounter this problem?

24. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

See if you can stick one of the prongs through the hole. It doesn't take much to ground a connection.

It will work if you clamp the the spade to the outside of the terminal also.

25. russk

russk Forum Resident

Go online and buy a grounding clip or a small set of alligator clip leads. Then you won't have to mess anything up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.