PONO Feedback? Anyone have one yet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

For the sake of adding another voice to this topic, I make sure my player is on, then plug in the USB to my computer (Win7). The Pono puts up the message, "Load music?" I touch "Yes" and my player shows up in PMW.

My player and the microSD card show up and I then drag and drop folders to the player or the microSD and get the "Transfer" message, which I click on and then watch through "Details" as it's added to the Pono player. I hit "Eject" and then remove the USB and the Pono shows "Scanning for new music." Then my music shows up and I'm ready to Rock 'n Roll. :)

2. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

Since upgrading the firmware I never get the "Load Music" option. Only "Scanning the music library" for about half a second and then nothing. The USB cable and connection are both active because the battery charges no problem and the screen shows the power cable icon. Weird and frustrating.

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I apologize for asking this because I'm virtually positive it was asked and answered elsewhere, but what is the tag to add to files so that the blue light turns on during playback?

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

See this post: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...expansion-part-4.388818/page-14#post-11713658

The tag names used are "PHC" and "RELEASE_GUID"

The blue light relies on an MD5 hash of the <artist> and <title> tags. If you change the artist or track title you break the blue light and will need to calculate a new PHC value to get the light feature back for that track.

jfeldt likes this.
  5. motionoftheocean

Thank you very much. All though it is not exactly a vital feature, I do like the ability to distinguish the hi-res material from redbook audio with a little blue light. Yes, I'm very corny.

Has anyone figured out how to manually shut the screen off? Or must one simply set the screen sleep time?

6. motionoftheocean

As I've only been fiddling with it for a few days, I'm going to hold off on stating my opinion re: the merits of the Pono Player. That being said, after these few days of tinkering with the Pono, I can now fully appreciate how utterly maddening are the comments, musings and pontificating from yours truly and others who've never heard a note from, or experienced, the device firsthand.

And for that, I apologize.

7. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm in the same boat as you at wanting to know if what I'm playing is hi-res or redbook. The thing is, I think everything bought from Pono lights up the blue light. So you could buy something that is redbook from Pono and the blue light will light up.

Has anyone figured out how to manually shut the screen off? Or must one simply set the screen sleep time?[/QUOTE]
    The main way I manually shut off the screen off is to push the circular button. It gives you have the options of putting the player to sleep, shutting the player down or canceling.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Guys, just double checking here, but the unsaid line here seems to be you need the light on to tell you when you're playing a hi-res file, but isn't it obvious from the sound quality?

9. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Is there any way yet to "scrobble" the music you play on your Pono player?

10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The purpose of the light is not to indicate hi-res. The light indicates that the song was purchased from Pono.

There is, however a software tool out there that will apply the proper tags to hi-res files if you want to repurpose it that way.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  11. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I have an Applescript that I use to update the last played time and date in iTunes for songs I have listened to on the Pono. A pain, but I can create a short playlist (export it to the Pono), listen to it on Pono, then with one click mark them all as played. Playcounts/times are such an integral part of my listening that I had to come up with something. While it is manual, at least it works.

12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

This makes sense, because how else would you know it's hi-res?

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If you double-tap on the large artwork picture while a file is playing you get a list of tag info which includes the samplerate, bitrate, filename, and some other tag info. So if you're curious if you're playing a high-res file you can double-tap on the artwork and find out. You don't need the blue light to tell you.

But really? Who cares. Play the file. Listen. Enjoy.

14. motionoftheocean

As I said earlier, the blue light for me is purely a vanity thing. Similar to how the blue light, by default, is simply to show the song was purchased from the Pono store.

15. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

PonoMusic Update – 2/20/15
    February 19, 2015

[​IMG]

We’ve been hard at work here at PonoMusic as we move into the next phase of growth and development. There are lots of exciting things happening and we wanted to keep you updated on our progress. We have launched the sale of the PonoPlayer in selected retail stores across the US, our music store has opened its doors, and we just hit the milestone of our 40,000th community member! There are a lot more great things to look forward to this year, and we appreciate all the amazing support that has taken PonoMusic to where we are at now!
    The PonoPlayer

Positive reaction
    Since our appearance at CES we have been seeing some very positive reviews for the PonoPlayer. We prepared a sales sheet for CES, which included quotes from some of the positive reviews already out there. We have now posted the sales sheet in the Knowledge Section of the site. Additionally, there has been a very positive reaction in the community to features like the balanced output mode. If you would like further information, check out the Tech Sheets in the Knowledge section.

https://ponomusic.force.com/_ui/knowledge/ui/KnowledgeHome

There have been a few not so positive reviews and some less about PonoMusic and more about the high-resolution music movement as a whole. We know there is a difference in audio quality and stand by that. There are some more positive articles that will hit the newsstands very soon that report on the really great sound quality that our player delivers. These will be in the mainstream HiFi press and we will share them as they become available.

Implemented improvements
    Since the last general update, there have been some intermediate announcements. We delivered gapless playback for the PonoPlayer ahead of schedule and the feedback about that has been very positive. Last week we released Firmware 1.0.5. that fixes some known issues and brings full DSD playback to the PonoPlayer. DSD playback places the PonoPlayer very firmly in the arena of serious Digital Audio Players – not just of the portable type.
    Retail
    We now have PonoPlayers available regionally in the U.S., including locations such as Frys Electronics and other key retail partners:

https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=retailers

Our retail packaging and promotional materials are being rolled out as part of the program and we have been receiving valuable feedback from the stores and community members. Such feedback is really important to us, as it helps us improve what we do and how we do it. We will post the artwork for the retail PonoPlayers in the Knowledge section shortly. Additionally we are looking to create a Street Team of community members to help us with the retail effort and will be reaching out on that soon.

Kickstarter LE PonoPlayers & Pre-Order units
    After a great amount of detective work we have managed to track down almost all of the pledgers of the KickStarter campaign for the Limited Edition PonoPlayers. There remain 80 players that are unclaimed, and we will be offering these for sale on our site starting Saturday 2/21/15 at 9am PST. There are very limited quantities of these players, and they will be sold on a first come first serve basis. These players are numbered limited editions and come with the custom Bamboo Box, 64GB card, leather carrying case, charging cord and the pre loaded albums from the artists. The sale of these units is limited to within the U.S., and the players will retail for $499 plus tax and shipping. (Note that there is a limit of 2 players purchased per order). For any initial pledger that does eventually come forward and provide their contact information, we will still honor their pledge with a Yellow or Black PonoPlayer throughout the remainder of the year.
    Additionally, we have delivered all of the PonoPlayer Pre Orders and are now selling PonoPlayers from our site.
    PonoMusic Store
    Pono Provenance
    We have just started a Provenance Group in the PonoMusic community, and Bruce Botnick will be contributing to that and discussing what the issues are and what we are doing about new releases etc. For example, Bruce is working on making sure that we get the best version of Bob Dylan’s new album. More to follow on that…
    New Music Acquisition
    Alongside the provenance initiative, we are continuing to acquire new music. We will be pre-announcing what will be new in the store each Friday for the following Tuesday. (As you may know, Tuesday is the day when new releases become available.) We are also in negotiations with additional independent record labels and will be able to make some more announcements soon on this front.

We have had several requests to have a section in the store for truly independent artists, i.e. those who have no recording contracts and may just be starting out. Having such a place is really in the spirit of what Pono is all about. We are looking at the best way of doing this and will keep you informed.
    PonoPromise Resolution Upgrades
    We are pleased to announce that the PonoPromise Resolution Upgrade feature is now released for PonoPlayer KickStarter backers in the US. This will allow us to issue free resolution upgrades on purchased albums from the PonoMusic store when higher resolution versions become available. Initially this will be for albums from Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group. Upgrades for purchases from albums within Sony Music should follow shortly. If you are eligible for a resolution upgrade, you will receive an email when the upgrade is issued and the files will download to PonoMusic World next time you log in.
    Music on the Limited Edition Players
    We have been attempting to reissue music that was missing from a few of the LE players using the PonoPromise Upgrade feature, but there were a few legal and technical issues that prevented us from doing that, so we will be issuing the missing content via an email that contains a one time, one click link to download the music. This includes the Crosby Stills & Nash – Déjà Vu album, Neil Young – A Letter Home and a track from the Foo Fighters album Wasting Light that a few folks had issues with. The Moderators had posted an update on this recently and this is the latest outcome since that update. Our apologies that this taken some time to implement. The number of players affected is small, but we want to make sure we can replace these files in a proper and supportable way.
    Pono Album Review Feature
    Pono is all about a community focussed on music. We really want to let anyone who listens to an album on a PonoPlayer to share the experience with others. It helps those looking to buy an album to hear the views of others. It’s a way of recommending albums and of sharing how the Pono version compares with others. The Pono Album Review feature is for our community members to post their personal listening experience as heard on their PonoPlayer.
    To create a review, choose your favorite album. Then from that album page in the PonoMusic Store you can:
    • Rate the album. This is the rating that an individual listener provides, not accumulated, so that is not aggregated and averaged across many reviews.
    • Comment on the hardware used for the review – Sharing, for example, the amplifier, speakers, headphones, cables etc. that were used
    • Review details – include your comments about the album
    • Action links included
      • Add to cart
      • Show all reviews for album
      • Add your own review
    • Automatic creation of topics - so that the review can be found across the community
    • Automatic sharing of the review - with community members following the:
      • Artist/album
      • Album reviews
      • Reviewer
    A Tech Sheet with more details about how the feature works is being produced. Expect to see it in the Knowledge section in the next few days
    UK/CA Store Release & Player Distribution
    It was always our intention to launch the Pono Music Store in Canada and the UK during the first quarter of 2015. We have worked hard toward this goal, but the complexities that need to be ironed out, and the web of legal, commercial and contractual issues have proven to be more significant than we anticipated when we made our forecast. It is now clear to us that we will not be able to meet the target we set ourselves. This is a real disappointment for all of us, but we feel we must let you know as soon as we realize that we could not launch during this quarter. We are looking at the whole situation, and at the moment we cannot give you a confirmed opening date, but will do so as soon as we can. The goal of opening the store outside of the US is still a very high priority for us.
    PonoMusic World
    Overview/Update

The Tech Sheets for the software are in the final stages of preparation; expect to see them in the Knowledge Section very shortly
    Download Issues
    We are aware that some of our customers have had some problems downloading tracks. If you have experienced problems, please reach out to [email protected]. We tackle each of these problems individually. If something slips through our net, please let us know, or inform the moderators who will raise the flag with us.
    Community
    FAQ Document
    With input from the moderators, the Frequently Asked Questions document for the Community is in the final stages of preparation.

rburly and billnunan like this.
  16. I wish my record player had a light that told me which LP I purchased at Tower Records. :tiphat:

17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

:shh::shh::shh::shh:
    Good thing it doesn't say Wherehouse:wave:

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Brother_Rael

Got that wrong - rechecked and the lower range models - the AK100 and the AK120 go from around £600-700. Price varies on Amazon depending on the model and the finish I think. Top of the range AK goes for over £2000 however. Yoiks!

19. Brother_Rael

That first "e" was intentional I take, right...?

20. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

I recently bought a Sony NW-A17 Walkman and could not be more pleased ... simple UI, extremely portable, expandable memory, great sound. The build quality could be better, but that is nitpicking when you consider everything else it brings to the table, IMO.

For me, the Fiio's X3 UI seemed too clunky and 8 GB is an embarrassingly small amount of onboard storage for a dedicated music player in 2015. And the Pono was never an option personally. While I haven't heard it, the combination of ridiculous hype, goofy/non-portable shape and price doesn't make for a very appealing product.

21. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Actually, might it not be useful to have a high-res indicator for cases where - due to dubious mastering, improper provenance or other issues - the higher resolution was not obvious?

22. Did you know of the California record store chain in the 70s and 80s? Maybe even early 90s. The Wherehouse. Cha cha and I worked together there in 73-74

Brother_Rael likes this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes. All those emoticons above weren't though - I'm a Luddite

Brother_Rael and Mazzy like this.
  24. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

I talked to PONO customer service last week and they immediately shipped me a new unit. When I received it I tried the new cable on my original player. Voila! it worked just fine, meaning that the originally supplied USB cable was defective. The player is now recognized by the PonoWorld Music app, and I can drag and drop to the internal storage and the external card no problem.

I really like the sound of the player. It's much better than various v5.5 iPods I have, and that's just with a pair of Bose QC15 headphones. Not had chance yet to hook it up to my main system. However, I should say the touchscreen really sucks. It's hard to scroll without opening up folders. But I can deal with it given the great sound quality I'm getting.

So all in all, I'm glad I got one. And the customer service I got was first class.

oneway23, rburly and darkmass like this.
  25. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

After reaching the point where the Pono World Music app would no longer load on my iMac a couple months ago, I reloaded the Mac's OS and tried again recently.
    While the Pono app now loads and recognizes the player, it now lists song #01 at the bottom of the music folders. To get it to play the songs in correct order, I have to scroll to the bottom of the folder, play song 01, and then select repeat.
    I've had enough problems with the player and app that I really would not buy another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.