My new Rega RP6 - Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Austin Lee, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I've only got the Concept Wood, but I can tell you the build quality is top notch, and all that you complained about in your review would be resolved with a Clearaudio, from adjustable feet to adjustable VTA, to high quality construction. I cannot give you any comparison on the sound though.

Austin Lee likes this.
  2. Ain'tNoRight

Ain'tNoRight New Member

I'll second the Rega push, your turntable will love you for it.

3. Austin Lee

Austin Lee Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was leaning very heavily towards a Concept wood vs. the RP6. I wish I could've listened to both tables first. I ended up with the RP6, and I don't regret it. But I still want to hear some Clearaudio 'tables!

4. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

It's on my list when I eventually upgrade but the styling and branding is a bit too late 80s/90s for me. And I don't like how all the tables look pretty much the same from one model to the other. I like to watch my records spin. The sq is undeniable though.

Love the look of the clearaudios and will take a close look when I upgrade.

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Although I'll probably never part with my Rega, I think I would like to have a Clearaudio, someday. The one I like was $15k, last time I looked.

6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Honestly, I say get out now. You shouldn't have to buy a $1500 table and want to upgrade it immediately. Note: I have $3k+ of Rega gear. But no longer own one of their turntables.

Everything you listed is my own experience. I think you may also find that, in addition to running fast, it doesn't run stable. Wow and flutter varies from table to table but it's there to some degree. You may also come to loathe the motor noise and humming as the cart comes near the end of a record.

Keep that Ortofon, however. But I'd go for the VPI Scout Jr for same money. Soundstage also had a ton of used VPI's when they were taking trade-in's on VPI Primes. You might find a nice Scout 1.1 if still available. I own a Classic 1 but I could easily 'swap down' to the 1.1 without missing the Classic too much.

Honestly rather than spend the extra trying to correct the RP6 flaws, just go for the Scout 1.1 and be done with it. Rega tables are highly overrated.

7. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

So incredibly misleading. Spoken like a man who would own only all Naim gear.

Probably bought into the forum hype and hyperbole like Thin Man's nonsense quote above.

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I was wondering whether you got to listen to or view one first, and thought ...maybe you mail ordered one. I love mine. The groovetracer and PSU are well worth it.

Long Live Analog and timztunz like this.
  9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It's hard to truly compare the sound even if you're running the same cartridge and through the same system. There are so many variables in vinyl playback. Nonetheless, reviews of the regular Concept were favorable, and the Wood just does a few things better. Better tone arm, speed adjustment, etc. The build quality is really phenomenal. I also added the dust cover and clamp, which cost a few hundred more.

I was initially interested in the RP6 too, but my local dealer steered me away from Rega citing quality issues. They were a former Rega dealer, but don't sell Rega now so that should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

russk likes this.
  10. russk

russk Forum Resident

Never heard anyone complain about pitch stability or motor noise on an RP6. Heard people complain about motor and arm problems on the lower priced vpis and I've experienced it myself and watched a friend go through hell to get VPI to fix his concerns only to eventually dump the table.

If you pass on the RP6 I'd definitely go Clearaudio or Michell. Beautiful tables with good support from the manufacturer

richbdd01 and Upinsmoke like this.
  11. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

This is the most ridiculous post I have read since joining the forum. You have just bought a turntable brand new , that isn't exactly dirt cheap yet you wish to upgrade ASAP because it has too many cons?

Why on earth didn't you audition it properly or do more Internet research?

Analogman likes this.
  12. ogbbv

ogbbv Well-Known Member

I am not 100% With my RP6 yet. It sounds very good when playing but I have motor noise from my new RP6. It amazes me that it went through QC like. I can easily hear it from the next room.
    It is not like a small noise 2 inches away it sounds more like a old inboard Volvo penta engine on an old fisherboat some miles away. Dealer said to run it in but it has not helped over 3 months so it is going in one of the days. Once this is settled I will be very satisfied.
    Hope this does not come across as some Rega bashing because I WANT that RP6, but without the motor noise. BTW: I have that Brio R speaker hum others have been writing about online aswell. Love that amplifier :)

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

Got a pic lol. Sounds like a beautiful table. Is the dustcover a completely lift off affair?

14. russk

russk Forum Resident

Your the first I heard about motor noise. My table pretty much sorted itself out in no more than 20 maybe 25 hours of use. So if you're at 3 months with regular use I'd say you need a new table. What kind of noise is it? I had a friend who had a shot VPI Scout Motor that sounded like bearings where grinding. He had it noticeably when he got it. Was told to "burn it in" and the noise did go away for about a month and a half then came back and got worse and worse. He had a nightmare getting it taken care of so. Rega customer service seems much better but I'd get this addressed now before anymore time goes by and they can blame it on you

15. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

There is only one real audio dealer with reasonable distance with turntables and they only have ProJect on hand. I know everything I read online on the Regas was positive. The OP seems to be fine with the sound other than the speed variances which are well documented. It's the mechanical characteristics he doesn't seem to like. I felt the same way had sold my RP3/TTPSU for the same reason.

Rega has a huge following, but if you don't like the user interface experience, you might as well move on. But then I am not one of those guys that hear every little nuance between turntables. I couldnt honestly say that I hear a huge difference between my Scout, Perspex, or even SL1200. That may not be fair since I don't move cartridges around between them for comparison and they are not moved from system to system.

16. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I thought this was a Rega thread. Every time someone posts a problem with Rega, there seems to be a trend of : "my buddies VPI was bad, and their customer service sucks":confused:

Austin Lee likes this.
  17. Bob_in_OKC

Also - Every time someone posts anything at all about a Rega, there will be negative comments about Rega, relevant or not.

utahusker likes this.
  18. isshl5

isshl5 Forum Resident

i was an unlucky one that has a faulty TTPSU. less than a month into it, the turntable would suddenly halt. at a last resort, brought it back to the dealer; after investigation, they claim TTPSU fault.

the other unhappy issue is the footer, I can't level the table and have to resort to putting names card to level it. I don't how important is the level issue here

nonetheless, i have kept the RP6 for 2years. I think at this price, one's can't expect better build. but RP6 works well and easy to setup up

19. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Yes, but at least this is a pros/cons Rega thread, which makes all praise and criticism pertinent.

richbdd01 and Austin Lee like this.
  20. Bob_in_OKC

Agreed. There's no value in censoring a thread, anyway.

Sailfree, richbdd01 and utahusker like this.
  21. ogbbv

ogbbv Well-Known Member

Its hard to describe the noise but it is something mechanical. Something touching something inside the motor itself. I feel happy with that I got a good dealer so I am taking it back to them for the second time and this time I am pretty sure it will be solved.

Like I said earlier I dont want to bash Rega but it was a coincidence that I was on the phone with the dealer today and I went here and this thread pops up on the top of the forum and someone said something about motor noise. I just "had" to reply.

I think the build quality other than the motor seems very solid. And like I said it sounds really good! I might not even recognize an increase in sound quality when my motor get fixed. But, it is a new table and It is over twice as expensive as my debut carbon which is dead silent and 10 times more expensive than my old plasticky 90s JVC that also are dead silent even 2 inches away.

22. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I have complained, as have others. Pitch instability is the reason for the Groovetracer!!

I'm not talking about defects, as can impact all brands, including VPI. I'm talking about expected outcomes.

23. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Because there are negative things to say about Rega!

My Elex-R has a loose volume knob (as apparently all do). When I hit the input button on the remote it jumps ahead 2, maybe 3, sometimes 4 inputs. My Apollo-R goes wonky randomly, especially if I dare try to scan forward.

I keep those because they sound great. But couldn't deal with the price to quality trade-off asked for by their turntables.

24. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Be sure to check out what Rega, Clearaudio and Pro-Ject have to offer. Pro-Ject is one of the least fussy of the four table to live with and soundwise sounds as good as the best in the price range of their offerings.

BayouTiger likes this.
  25. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

The platter wobble / run-out would be my biggest concern of those you listed.

Number 1 thing for me with a turntable is that you have to be really happy with it ... or you will inevitably move on one way or another. It is probably best to get that figured out while the dealer can still help you so you don't take a huge loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.