Where do YOU keep your "related artists"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

Im just wondering where you guys keep your Roger Waters/Gilmour etc. Is ut next to Pink Floyd in your collection? Or is it all alphabetical?
    How about your Macca, Lennon etc...is it next to the Beatles?

2. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Alpha always. I fear if I get too cute with a grouping system of some kind, I will forget the rules and spend hours trying to find stuff. Alpha always works. :)

ARK, RandyP, gkella and 6 others like this.
  3. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I do that. I even put Julian Lennon together with the solo Beatles. Although I separate the Greatest Hits/Best Of albums from the regular albums and have separate CD racks for them.

Keith V likes this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

This is the way I feel about it. I only seperate a couple Genres, which would be the few Hip Hop I have and the bunch of Christmas albums I have. Everything else is alphabetical.
    Those are at the end of the collection.

5. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

Alpha (and by original release date within that). Classical is off separately, by composer, and Christmas stuff is wherever my wife keeps it (it seems to magically appear every year and clog up the CD player).

audiomixer, Jimbo1960 and Yost like this.
  6. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

In the sock drawer.

ARK, seed_drill and drasil like this.
  7. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

Alpha only. Too many ways to get confused otherwise.

ARK and seed_drill like this.
  8. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Always alpha. I keep my Xmas records in a closet except between Thanksgiving and New Year's. Otherwise I don't separate out genres. The only tricky ones are split or collaboration LPs. They usually go by the artist listed first tho.

9. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Right next to the parent group. So Neil Young is next to CSN&Y, Gilmour with the Pink Floyd, and Lennon with the Beatles. Beatles seems to be the biggest catch all. That's also where I keep Ravi Shankar, Chet Atkins (Pickin' on the Beatles), Hollyridge Strings, and Julian. A big, YMMV on this one.

10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Alpha and chronological, with only 2 exceptions being the one Lou Reed lp I have is with the V.U., and a Howard Devoto lp is with Magazine.

11. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

I had a friend in jr. high that swore that the cure to skips on a record was to put the record in his sock drawer for 2 weeks.

12. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

All alphabetical. I know what you mean, though...do I put the Buckingham-Nicks with the Fleetwood Mac? In my case, no. Do I put the Paul Simon with the Simon and Garfunkel? In my case, yes...that's an exception I'll make as they're close enough alphabetically.

I don't bother with by release date, that's a little too anal for me. As long as all the "Queen" albums are together, etc., fine.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    ARK likes this.
  13. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

One more for alphabetical and by release date! :thumbsup: If I have multiple releases of the same album, I then put those in chronological order, too, with the newest being the furthest to the right.

sassi, shaboo, Use_Your_Koala and 2 others like this.
  14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Option one. I don't do alphabetical. Peter Murphy with Bauhaus, Cetera with Chicago and so on.

15. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

In a soundproof room under the basement. I've had the missing Wilson brothers down there for decades. Brian's got wise to me, though.
    :evil:

Other than that, alphabetical then by release date.

Mikay likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

Exactly as I

17. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

Alphabetical/chronological by genre.

Folknik likes this.
  18. How about Yoko's records, between Macca's and Lennon's? :cop:

ConnieGuitar, RBtl and EddieMann like this.
  19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Solo Beatles (and Yoko )after Beatles.

Paul Simon with S&G

All Fairport-related albums are together (Richard Thompson, Sandy, etc...)

Garcia projects are filed with the Dead

On the other hand, I do NOT file Diana Ross solo with the Supremes. Same with Smokey/Miracles, Robert Plant/Zep, etc

HominyRhodes likes this.
  20. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I group together all Beatles related stuff, all Pfunk related, Grateful Dead related, Crosby Stills Nash ( tho I don't own any Stills)

And Bond...

James Bond.

Edit: other than that it's mostly alpha, chronologically (last name), capped off by compilations. With separate Jazz/Classical/ and Hip Hop sections in the same formate.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  21. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I stopped sorting alpha after almost 30 years. It got kinda boring. I have grouped media into subsets. Some include:

Stereophile R2D4
    High DR modern CDs (small group, eh)
    Live albums
    Albums where I saw the artist in concert
    CDs with bonus DVD
    Audiophile releases
    etc...

I find it more inspiring to decide what to listen. BUT, I only have like 450 CDs and 75 "vinyls" :)

22. Unimpeachable logic..:laugh:

keef00 likes this.
  23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Solo Beatles after Beatles, including the John and Yoko albums followed by the Yoko solo albums (I have 2 of those), Then Julian Lennon, then back to alphabetical with the Bee Gees (alphabetical by genre; Beatles and Bee Gees are in the British invasion section). The Move, Roy Wood, and ELO are spread out all over the alphabet but somehow it wouldn't make sense not to have them all together. This system only breaks down when it gets really incestuous (Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Derek and the Dominoes, Bobby Whitlock, Jeff Beck Group, Rod Stewart, Faces, Blind Faith, Family,Traffic, Steve Winwood, Dave Mason, Dave Mason and Cass Elliot, Mamas and Papas, etc.).

24. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

CDs I like best to the top left, CDs I like least to the bottom right

EddieMann likes this.
  25. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Alpha & chronological.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.