Neutron Player App for Android

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoptic, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

I recently evolved into the 21st Century and upgraded my flip cell phone to a Smart Samsung Galaxy s5. Based upon some research here and other places, I downloaded the Neutron player app. It is advertised as having the capability to play high resolution files. I loaded up some files onto a 64GB micro SD card and I am please with the results so far. I play them through the headphone jack into a FiiO E12 Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier or through bluetooth once in a while to my car radio.

I have selected the following options:
    • Replay Gain
    • Automatic Gain Protection
    • 64 Bit Processing
    • Resampling (Audiophile)
    • Bluetooth A2DP
    • Bluetooth AVRCP
    Any suggestions for any other tweaks?

1) When the day comes and I purchase a decent DAC (I have my eyes on the Oppo HA-2) what do I need to push the high res files out? Additional software? Hardware? I have a USB3 OTG cable and I experimented with my Oppo 103 and Marantz 7007 Receiver and was not successful as I expected.

2) The DLNA option does not recognize any of my DLNA sources, although I haven't really troubleshooted that yet. Any hints would be apreciated.

Thanks!

Gaslight and 500Homeruns like this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Sometimes DLNA takes a while to kick in. Have you left it? Initially I mean. My amp sometimes takes a few seconds to recognise my external hard drive going into the route for instance.

3. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Thanks for starting this thread. I just downloaded the app earlier this week and would love to see some settings/tips.

stereoptic likes this.
  4. stereoptic

I think so, but I'll try your suggestion. Thanks!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  5. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I'd configure the crossfeed to alleviate that normal hard left right pan effect of headphones. IMO, the crossfeed is good in Neutron.

6. stereoptic

It is very good. However, I use the crossfeed function on the Fiio amp instead.

7. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this is obvious, but have you joined your home wifi access point with your phone?

8. stereoptic

Good question (sometimes I gloss over the obvious! :D), but, yes, thanks they are all on the same wifi network.

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Been using this for ages on Blackberry Playbook and Android. To be honest the settings are staggering. I just pushed everything to max. I'm surprised this isn't the music app de jour around here with all the tweaking it has. Plus it gets masses of updates.

How many? Well it still gets almost monthly updates on the Playbook...that's been defunct for around 18 months. Shows commitment by the developers.

10. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

Neutron user here too, it is great!!

11. stereoptic

Thanks for that. If I may pick your brain.... Do you have the AGP (Automatic Gain Protection) turned on? Do you set the gain to 100? How are you outputting - headphone jack out or HDMI or USB? Any suggested tweaks?

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'll be honest with you in that I don't have a full understanding of all the functions it has. For the Playbook its usually for a bit of background music through the tablets speakers (not too bad actually) or into a larger speaker setup through the headphone jack. I have switched a lot of them on and off and the difference in general are very subtle as you would expect.

stereoptic likes this.
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Maybe we just need a few folks here to give this one a good road test and post up their findings?

500Homeruns likes this.
  14. stereoptic

So far I have found it to be an excellent player. I've compared a few tracks between this (on the Samsung Galaxy s5) and the iPod and right now I give the edge to the iPod. Not really a fair fight as it is two different players on 2 different platforms.

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I love this app. I have an LG G2 which can play hires, but never really felt the benefit until I got this app. I use crossfeed on my headphone amp so I don't use it in the app. There are still many features I haven't even tried yet - I need some time off to just sit at home and try everything.

I will also note that the support they offer on their site is quite good. I had trouble figuring out how to turn off the auto-play feature & couldn't find anything. I emailed the address on their site and had a response within hours with instructions.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I use this app but I find myself having to undo all the tweaks that I fool around with. I've worked with the pre-amp and EQ and sometimes I end up getting what seems to be a great sound and then when I move on to another title it sounds distorted and I have to zero everything out again. I've lately just resigned myself to running everything flat.

This isn't a criticism of the player, it sounds great, but obviously I'm not too swift with the settings! :laugh:

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

A timely thread, in my case, as I've been messing with my Android phone recently (Samsung Avant, in my case). The sound out of this thing is pretty mediocre and I tried the eval of that Neutron Player and wasn't too satisfied with it. Decent controls and setup, but just not enough tweaking to get this phone to sound acceptable to me. Not the app's fault of course.

So far I've settled on Rockbox for Android. The pros are the ridiculous amount of tweaks on this thing and it actually makes my phone sound pretty good. Better than most of my dedicated MP3 players, actually. But the con is that the interface needs major tweaking as well so it's not a "it just works" situation. Think Linux - a lot of messing around to make it do what you want it to do.

18. stereoptic

I had a similar experience. I was just modifyng the EQ and all of a sudden it got real distorted. Even after turning EQ off, it was still distorted. Stopped the app and restarted and it was fine. :shrug:

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I press the gear at the top to go into Settings, and then touch Reset Gain and EQ.

I suspect that perhaps this app is a bit too much for the devices it's being used on! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.