"Control"-The Ian Curtis movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan Halen, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member Thread Starter

2. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

I look forward to seeing this, though I doubt it will play anywhere near where I live so I'll wait for the DVD.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

No reactions to this film here? I too waited for the DVD and only got round to buying it this week.
    I must say that I didn't find it "mesmerising" as the quote says on the cover but Sam Riley did a remarkable job with his portrayal of Ian. I think the film would have benefitted from more of this thoughts and lyrics and the interplay with the other members of the band was pretty dull and understated. In fact the other members seemed to just sit around lookind mystified (especially the actor who played Sumner). Also, the concert scenes were a little flat and tame in atmosphere (in reality, they were far more electric and exciting). Kudos to the actors however for playing the music themselves! As much as I respect Anton Corbijn as a photographer, I think it's a shame that a more established and experienced director didn't get his teeth into this fascinating story.

Brian Lux and carrick doone like this.
  4. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

It's been a few years since I saw the film but I recall liking it. As someone who was growing up in the same time period, but "across the pond", I didn't have direct exposure to the milieu in which the film is set. So watching the film as an outsider I thought it was very good at exposing the bleakness and grittiness of the time period.

5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I can't imagine anyone not familiar with Joy Division/New Order being able to make sense of much of it. I do know their history somewhat and even I had to rely on my feeble wits to come up with, "Got it, the one with the beard's supposed to be Peter Hook." But it does look nice.

nutsfortubes likes this.
  6. I watched it last year. I really liked it. It's sad.

7. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I saw this when new to Joy Division and now in retrospect it is more of an experience of what it was like to be around the band and not necessarily a honest biopic. I think this is very fitting since Corbijn was himself this and became fascinated with the band while being their photographer.
    I usually hate biopics, especially the music ones because they reveal little of their subject and become so tiring that I never want to see another. But this completely surprised me. I loved every single minute of it and felt that while not accurate was at least a reflection of the time and place that produced these deeply penetrating songs that are still as relevant today.

I also loved that Corbijn began making films. For years he has been my favorite photographer, and this floored me and was succeeded by one of the few great pictures I've seen this millennium, The American.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.