Did the Stones really ever top Paint It Black ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Well, the last few of those 25 you don't really have to consider. :D

2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

They topped "Paint It, Black" many times--and some that came before ( "Satisfaction?", "Get Off My Cloud?") that single was released top it as well. But it's a great song--one of so many great Stones songs. I've always believed that as popular as The Stones were--and still are as a live act--they won't get the the true respect and appreciation they deserve until they are no longer active as a working band....

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My favorites are Gimme Shelter & Jumpin' Jack Flash

dlokazip likes this.
  4. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

It would be nice if someone could agree with the OP, but I won't be the generous one.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  5. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Hmmmm. Maybe with "Under My Thumb" or "Out Of Time."

6. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I love "Paint It Black," it was my favorite for a number of years, but "Gimme Shelter," "Sympathy for the Devil," and "Under My Thumb" eclipse it, IMO. That said, I read a bio of the Rolling Stones waaaay back in 1972 that really left me with a huge impression of Brian Jones. In that book the author relates the story of how, the day before the recording sessions for "Paint It Black," Brian picked up the sitar for the first time, so the sitar you hear in the song is Brian playing after one day of figuring the instrument out. I don't know if it's really true, but it's a great story. I do know that the story was related again in the bio of Jones titled Golden Stone, a great read for fans of the early Rolling Stones. Anyway, that's getting off topic. But the Rolling Stones output is huge, and picking a "best" song is difficult at best, and diminishes their achievement at worst. Having a favorite is one thing, but it would be difficult to define just what is meant by "best."

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Among others...

Ruby Tuesday
    Child Of The Moon
    Dandelion
    We Love You

905 and 9la like this.
  8. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Of course they did. Many times over. Christ.

Judge Judy likes this.
  9. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

A very curious response....... I like it! :)
    (even though I'm a stones fan AND love the song personally)

10. old school

old school Senior Member

Paint it Black is a awesome song. but there are many from that era that are great. Gimme Shelter and Have You Seen Your Mother Baby are my favs.

11. mds

mds Forum Resident

For that time period, '64 to '67 I believe both "Paint it Black" and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" are top rate and hard to beat. These two songs highlight what the Stones grew to before making a wild change in sound and subject matter with "Beggars Banquet". These two songs were still from an innocent period and for this reason are hard to compare to the mid period Stones, which in my opinion starts with "Beggars Banquet" and ends with "Exile on Main Street". This mid-period has such a different sensibility and it is impossible for me to compare the songs from the end of the British Invasion/Begin of the Psychedelic Movement to the collapse of the Peace and Love movement and the beginning of a drug drenched sound, which was far from the innocence of "Satisfaction" and "Paint it Black".

12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

For me, they never topped "19th Nervous Breakdown."

bumbletort, old school and ubiknik like this.
  13. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I agree with you, mostly, but "Satisfaction" is hardly a song that I'd call innocent. Even in those early days the Stones were considered the "Bad Boys" of Rock 'n' Roll. Heck, my dad wouldn't let my buy their records because even as early as '67 their drug use was no secret.

14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

If all the examples of better songs here are right, Paint It Black is worse than I thought.

Guy E likes this.
  15. mds

mds Forum Resident

Yes they were bad boys and even in an age of innocence there were bad boys, James Dean. The period when Satisfaction and then Paint it Black came out was the transitional period, end of innocence, but still very innocent. Drug use was in swing but people who were using it really did not understand the power and destruction it could bring. This was prior to the wide use of heroin and cocaine. Pot and psychedelics were in vogue and thought to be harmless by many users.

16. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I'll say this: Paint It Black is one of maybe 3 Stones songs that I would never turn off if it came on the radio. I think it's great.

JimSpark and old school like this.
  17. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i dont think they topped it.....but they matched it many times

gimmie shelter
    jumping jack flash
    wild horses
    can you hear me knocking
    sweet virginia
    angie

18. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Many times. It's a great song, but many times.

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I like it better when it has a comma in the title.

It may be the best superfluous comma song ever recorded.

JimSpark and Guy E like this.
  20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Probably not. ;)

Jonboy likes this.
  21. old school

old school Senior Member

Brian and Mick are in perfect tandem. Awesome Sitar and Mick's killer humming.
    And Mothers Little Helper with Bills awesome bass.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  22. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

True. But then there's the last verse of "Satisfaction" that really got to my folks (and didn't make sense to an 11 year old):

"...
    When I'm ridin' round the world
    And I'm doin' this and I'm signing that
    And I'm tryin' to make some girl
    Who tells me baby better come back later next week
    Cause you see I'm on losing streak...."

I think something like that is more of an innocence lost kind of thing as well. The funny thing to me now is that The Beatles maintained a fairly "squeaky clean" image, at least until '68 or so, while doing the same kind of things that the Stones did (at least pot and hallucinogens).

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Indeed they did. They topped it with JJF which was topped by Honky Tonk Women which was topped by Brown Sugar. With the latter, the all-significant peak had arrived. They never matched that level of potency ever again.

24. Sparky

Sparky Forum Resident

I went to a Stones show in 1990 with a friend who wasn't particularly into them and the song he was most looking forward to hearing was Paint It Black. It does seem to be the favourite Stones song for people who aren't fans, i've seen it often. Maybe because it doesn't sound too Stonesy. Plus Tour of Duty gave it renewed exposure a generation or two later.

Personally, it's ok but it wouldn't come close to being in my top 50, top 100 even.

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If Bono likes it who are we to say it is not the best? :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.