Replacment Plinth for Rega Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jim in Houston, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk Thread Starter

I know the Rega design philosophy is for a light, rigid plinth. It is the basis of the "Rega Sound". However... when I was searching for pictures to help Paul K with his Rega dilemma a while back I came upon pictures of these beautiful plinths made by a company called Audiowood.

Audiowood Plinth.jpg

They are veneer over MDF and 1-1/2" total height. They come in four standard veneers and can do any veneer for an upcharge. The Makassar Ebony is pictured. They sell a ready to go TT or the blank/pre drilled plinth ($300).

I love the look but am hesitant as to what the change in sound would be, any ideas? Anyone done a similar swap? They advertised on Audiogon but their ad is expired and they are on Etsy now. I also saw a similar plinth for sale in the UK but it was veneer over Baltic Birch plywood. Would that be preferred over MDF?

Man I just love that wood look, reminds me of the Lab 440.

Thanks

2. mbrobe

mbrobe Forum Resident

No response on this?

I am thinking about doing the same thing to my P5. I am tired of the silver aluminum look and want a wood look. Will it change the sound much?

3. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

It will probably deaden the sound a bit. You might get a little more bass heft, but you lose the toe-tapping PRaT of a Rega.

4. russk

russk Forum Resident

I think there is a company in the U.K. that specializes in upgrading Rega Plinths and tables but can't think of the name. Perhaps google?

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

6. mbrobe

mbrobe Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply, I think I am going to try it out. Worst case I don't like the sound and I go back to stock.

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

Which Rega model do you have?

8. mbrobe

mbrobe Forum Resident

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Might just go for a Sota.

10. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

russk likes this.
  11. mbrobe

mbrobe Forum Resident

Sort of what I want :)

A plinth is cheaper right now.

12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

13. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

That would make more sense to my mind... Those third party plinths look great of course but Rega do take a lot of time and effort with their designs and it does kind of sadden me the amount of non-Rega mods that people feel inclined to fiddle with... Keep it as the designer/engineer intended is my philosophy.

14. mbrobe

mbrobe Forum Resident

I do think they put a lot of time into the designs but that doesn't mean there aren't cost saving measures that are put in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.