What shipping method do you choose for CD Japan to the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I've been buying from CD Japan for awhile, and I've always chosen their express shipping option to the U.S. This generally means two days by FedEx with a signature required. FedEx claims that the package will be delivered no later than 10:30 a.m. Two of my packages recently arrived a day late because of a delay clearing customs. I'm in Michigan, and these packages came from Japan to a FedEx facility in Indianapolis. On both occasions, the package cleared customs on the delivery date but after the truck had already departed Indianapolis for Michigan. At the time that the delay appeared in the tracking information, the delivery date was changed to "N/A". The package then arrived in Michigan very late on the original delivery date, too late to be delivered that day. It wasn't until the next morning that tracking showed the package out for delivery. No delivery time was available, so they were no longer guaranteeing delivery by 10:30 a.m.

In the end, it isn't a big deal to get a package one day late, but at the same time, I am paying for two-day delivery with arrival guaranteed by 10:30 a.m. Have you had a similar experience with packages coming from CD Japan? If so, did you switch to a cheaper shipping method?

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I find it hard to believe that someone that has been buying CDs for as long as you have doesn't understand that CDJapan or even FedEx have absolutely no control over your customs agents. You can pay $1000 for 15 minute shipping by supersonic overseas slingshot but if the customs agent decides the package requires extra scrutiny or they are behind for some reason then the package will be delayed. This has nothing to do with CD Japan...they got it to the border in the time promised...from there it's up to customs how quickly (or slowly) you get it.

olson likes this.
  3. KeithH

You attack just to attack. Show me where I criticized CD Japan or FedEx. Did I indicate that I complained to either? Show me where I said I did not understand the process. Did I indicate that I would no longer do business with CD Japan or would avoid FedEx? Obviously I did none of these things. What I did do, of course, is relay recent experiences where one thing was supposed to happen but did not.

So, if I pay a lot for two-day express shipping, and the package arrives a day late, it is fair to consider other options and to ask folks here their experiences with said other options. I am not required to write it off as "**** happens" and do nothing.

If you would read and interpret rather than assume and attack, you would have easily seen that I was not satisfied with the outcome but was not placing blame.

Gary likes this.
  4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

We have learned that FedEx is fast, cheaper than EMS but may suffer a short delay that does not seem to happen with the express post. Unless it for transportation of an organ for transplant it is a great value for getting items to the recipient.

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I messed around a couple times with the different shipping methods.Many times it was actually less expensive and/or more convenient for EMS than regular airmail or Fed EX.Once when I tried Fed Ex,USA customs inspected all the contents and resealed my package.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

In 7 years of shopping online, I've never had Customs open anything of mine. Is it readily obvious, or do they actually reseal in a caring, careful manner ? ( the cynic in me thinks it likely looks horrible ).

7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

This was the only time for me,The one time I choose Fed Ex.They resealed my package at one end with bright colored tape wich read This packaged has been inspected by US Customs.My cds had been opened and placed back in but I decided just to keep them since they were not scuffed up.It`s not something I worry about happening again though considering how much stuff I purchased online.Most of the cds I have ordered from CD Japan were new and sometimes limited titles that I was really looking forward to hearing so I just choose EMS over the other options.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    Front 242 Addict likes this.
  8. KeithH

Thanks for the replies. I've used EMS for packages from Japan before and don't recall having any problems. Those packages were delivered by the USPS, and a signature was required. Delivery was fast, as I recall (2-3 days).

I have been receiving packages from CD Japan by FedEx International Priority, which is stated as two-day delivery (signature required). EMS is probably similar in the delivery time (you're not going to get faster than two days), but if it is cheaper than FedEx, it is worth looking into. I'll see if CD Japan offers EMS.

In all my years receiving international shipments of CDs, I recall one instance where a package was inspected by customs. Unfortunately, I don't recall the particulars except that no CDs were opened, removed, or damaged. So I don't recall the shipper, shipping method, or delivery service. I just remember seeing the customs inspection tape and that they seemed to treat the package with care.

9. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

From my experience also in my country Packages from Fedex are checked more rigorously and detained for longer time in customs than other types of delivery, EMS Packages that arrived to Israel are forwarded very fast to the post employees for transfer of the package to the recipient so
    I recommend that you use EMS.

10. KeithH

Thanks for sharing your experience and providing the recommendation. I'll look into EMS with CD Japan.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  11. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I've bought quite a few CDs, LPs, and even a George Harrison concert program from Japan and I think every time I've used unregistered SAL. It's taken up to 20 days on occasion but I've never had any issues. For something really expensive I'd probably spring for a quicker registered method. I think I did have one package stuck in customs for a week but otherwise Japan to US seems easier than a lot of my domestic purchases. And all of my Japan sellers have been excellent about packaging and customer service. I wish I could say that about all my US sellers.

12. KeithH

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure I'm comfortable waiting 20 days for a shipment. Since it is unregistered, I'm guessing you are out of luck if it never arrives (no recourse with the sender).

Naughty Chord likes this.
  13. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I believe you can pay a bit more for registered. But I would assume anything less than insured is at risk. With Paypal I think I am still covered by buyer protection if a package doesn't arrive.

Most of my SAL packages reach me within 2 weeks. My longest wait was 20 days but all items have reached me in perfect condition. And as I mentioned above, if I was buying something over $50 or so I'd want to use a different shipping method.

14. KeithH

Thanks again. I am covered by my credit card, I do like registered shipping methods. Two weeks isn't too bad.

Next time I place an order from CD Japan, I'll look into EMS and SAL.

15. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

My SAL packages from cdjapan usually arrive here on the east coast in the 2-3 week range. I just ordered some albums for my vacation, commencing on June 12, and the package shipped on May 26. I figure it's 50-50 whether they arrive on time for me to pack them.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

• EMS is more expensive than Fed Ex.
    • Customs do open the packages on occasion. It is very easy to detect.
    • I doubt anyone ordering regularly from overseas has been exempt from package inspection,

17. chewie

chewie Forum Resident

EMS or SAL I get burnt by the Customs and The Post Office in the UK.

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I usually order with Fedex from CDJapan. Never had any custom delays (but it is luck of the draw I guess).

I've also used EMS as well, again no problems. Fedex is usually only about an extra $4 or so over EMS but usually a few days faster so I go for that one, although I have found the delivery signature required part to be a pain if I'm out at work all day - I think with EMS they just leave it in my mailbox but I can't remember for sure, whereas with Fedex I have to sign the slip & leave on my door then not get the package until the next day.

I didn't know that Fedex supposedly has more problems with customs delays than EMS though (what you guys are saying). If so, I'd rather just use EMS from now on.

P.S. THANKS for this thread. I had not gone to CDJapan in awhile and have points expiring. Just went there and I see one of my fave guitarists (Paul Gilbert) has a new album coming out this month in Japan! Cool. Ordering it now!

19. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Does anyone know with SAL Registered shipping, does it show on the tracking information when it arrives at the post office near the destination address, i.e. before they attempt delivery to me?

I ordered something from CDJapan that was supposed to have shipped a month ago, but I'm still waiting. The last tracking update just shows "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" from Japan on February 6. I'm hoping that the post office didn't attempt to deliver it, but didn't leave me a card to notify me to pick it up.

20. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

21. rcdupre

this new format rules...

22. rcdupre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.