Does upsampling effect audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

That is OK, I use iTunes remote app from my phone or ipad and it works great.

I have had a macbook air USB into the 2500 with no issues.

Another reason I want this is for native high resolution playback. Despite not having a lot of high res source material, it would be nice to play the stuff I do have like the new zeppelin without all the hassle.

What are people using for CD ripping and conversions? I have used dbpoweramp on windows for years. I hear there is a beta out for mac but I have not tried it nor am I familiar with much mac software as the apple computer world is a new adventure for me

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

XLD for the Mac is great. What's nice is you can have it rip to ALAC and add to iTunes, so you don't lose any of the convenience factor of ripping within iTunes but better metadata embedding and accurate ripping.

3. Joey_Corleone

I think I looked into that. Is it command line only?

4. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

No. Not at all - it's a very simple, but powerful GUI. It'll rip everything. It will convert all music file types to any other - including DSD. It's awesome. Just get it.

5. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Can you rip a SACD into DSD files using XLD?

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You can't read the SACD.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  7. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I first discovered it when the VCO light illuminated on my Schiit Gungnir (Schiit calls this the "but better gear light"). After a bit of looking around on the web, it appears high jitter out of the optical ports of AE and ATV is relatively well known.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Were you using that nasty second-gen AE?

An interesting anecdote, I still have one of the old-school big Apple TVs with the hard drives in them, and I'm curious as to how these measure. I don't recall upsampling to 48k on that model, and even the built in dac/analog outs sounded pretty nice.

9. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the latest AE. Ken Rockwell's testing suggests jitter is low on that unit.

10. Joey_Corleone

I could be wrong but I thought the horrendous jitter was on the older ATV? Do you know if the ATV3 has that problem?

Pity because the ATV could really be a perfect solution

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Jitter? How about a different alternative to the ATV/AEX? Have a look at this:-

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bmc-2/

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=11422

DAC, headphone amp and remote control all in one. Best of all, apart from being an ace jitter killer, is only £250...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.