Steven Wilson and more XTC, Jethro Tull and Yes stereo / 5.1 remixes !!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

No confirmation on the Hackett title yet?

2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd love to see 'Voyage Of The Acolyte' ! :righton:

The classic "lost" Genesis album

In particular, 'Shadow of The Hierophant' has never sounded good because of those awfully mixed and processed drums. I'd love to hear the epic song with more natural sounding drums, as Phil Collins used to play with Genesis back in the 70s

:wave:

DLeet likes this.
  3. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Did I miss something? Do we know Fragile is not the upcoming title?

4. I suspect that's coming last in the Yes series (because it's already had a 5.1 release). I'm quite interested to hear Wilson's work with Tales, especially for the quite acoustic parts of The Ancient. It would be nice if they'd present an edit of that as a bonus track.

5. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

has tales been announced???

6. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

No.

7. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

darn. I am waiting impatiently for that one

8. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Me too, but the masters for Voyage and Defector were reported as missing. It's supposedly either Please Don’t Touch or Spectral Mornings though I wouldn't be upset if it were both :D

9. peter fuller

peter fuller Forum Resident

:o:o:o That blows. Voyage and Defector are in my top 3 Hackett albums.

10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

+1,000,000

qtrules likes this.
  11. Padanx

Padanx Active Member

Maybe it's just me, or are others confused by the various offerings of the Steven Wilson remixes on DVD-A? I'm primarily talking about Amazon, or other online sellers. Most descriptions are full of inaccuracies, and Amazon rolls-up all title reviews from users by title, regardless of release variations. Even general pricing can't be relied upon under some circumstances, in telling one edition from another. To make matters worse at Amazon, they tend to list most non-vinyl offerings as "audio CD", whether or not it's a DVD-A, SACD, or whatever.

Does anyone know of a concise source of information for various editions, including labels, and what they consist of? War Child (Jethro Tull) seems very straight forward and easy to identify, but Thick as a Brick isn't, and many other Steven Smith remixes for other artists as well. I've tried general Google searches, but they tend to lead down the same alleyways dominated by online sellers who lack knowledge of the products they sell. It would be great to be able to shop for such titles without feeling stranded in "buyer beware" territory.

12. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Burning Shed https://www.burningshed.com/ always seems to have good descriptions of all of these. Each one is listed separately. No user reviews though - you can come here for those.

Plan9 likes this.
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

14. SomethingAnything

SomethingAnything Forum Resident

Do you subscribe to SDE? I find Paul Sinclair's site reasonably comprehensive with regards to Wilson remixes and other re-releases etc. Paul is good at providing the correct links to Amazon, if they're available. Others may also do so in the comments if Paul wasn't able to locate a link. Here's a sample of what SDE is like: http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/steven-wilson-hand-cannot-erase/

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

So what's coming up besides Tull's "Minstrel"? Haven't heard of anything concrete.

16. SomethingAnything

SomethingAnything Forum Resident

Yes's Fragile. Steven Wilson confirmed it in a recent interview. (Wish it had been Topo.)

jsayers likes this.
  17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

What's with all the JT remix projects? The original mix is not bad to my ears. Is this meant to breath new life into older recordings?
    I know a few of them needed to be revisited, but all of them?

18. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

For many of us, the big draw is the new surround mixes he's been doing for all these remix projects. :agree:

19. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I suspect Tales will be the next one after Fragile. I'm looking greatly forward to Wilson's remix for Fragile as the 5.1 mix on the DVD-Audio to me just doesn't feel like Fragile to me.

20. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

He talked of "gonna be released in a few months" if I remember correctly. That doesn't necessarily mean that "Fragile" will be next in line. I learned Steven Wilson already finished his remixing work of the Yes albums he was supposed to do. The sequence is a decision made by the record company I guess.

21. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Got it. Perfect sense.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  22. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

+ flat transfer of original tapes in 96/24

Starwanderer likes this.
  23. XTC's Oranges and Lemons has been remixed and should be released this year.

tcj likes this.
  24. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

That's the one I'm waiting for as it has some of the most interesting Mastellotto on disc.

tcj likes this.
  25. And I think it could benefit from a remix more than any of their other titles.

grbl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.