Is it just me or as vinyl popularity EXPLODED in the last quarter?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Schwinnparamount, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

With all the new re-issues, i know that i've been at my local record stores a lot lately.
    Even if there were no new customers (and i believe there are) my other vinyl loving pals
    have been doing a lot more shopping lately. There are several new on-line options too,
    I got my first order today from NorthernVolume.com, and if not for some of the other
    orders i've done on-line, i'd be in the b&m stores even more often.

2. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Been playing a lot of CDs the last 2 months.

Then I played LPs all night a couple days ago... WOW.

The analogue sound is delicious. Emotional. I mean - you can 'really get into it'. An experience. Guess that's why we love LPs.

Matt Starr, mertoo and tim185 like this.
  3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well this is a one shot observation. When you see it happen week after week then it is something real in your neck of the woods. Obviously sales of vinyl have increased sharply over the last 5 years. They now are about 17-20% of CD sales which is a significant fraction. Given that CD sales are declining the two sales curves may meet some time in the next 5 years. It will not be at the level that CDs sell at today though.

Albums are going to be a smaller part of the music biz going forward. I just hope they don't become completely niche.

4. ipl

ipl Member

I dunno....this "vinyl resurgence" thing has been going on for at least the past 7+ years. Every quarter you see some article in a square rag like Newsweek or the WSJ proclaiming vinyl's comeback and sighting sales figures. I think people are fascinated by a technology that despite the record industry's efforts has managed to stick around...and not even necessarily evolve... for nearly a century. Also, with most forms of media existing on the internet now I think the desire to own tangible objects that are played mechanically are somewhat refreshing (even tho it's a retro act). It's following the same trends as organic products, slow food, Etsy style crafting etc. Hipsters have always been around....albeit with different names (beatniks, hippies, scenesters)....and have always bought and collected vinyl. Nothing new there IMO.

5. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Last 1/4 explosion? It's a flipp'in tsunami at my house.

So much vinyl, so little time...

fitzrik and Old Rusty like this.
  6. Dig it people, perhaps all the recent converts are finally figuring out what we've known all along: shopping for LPs is fun & record stores are cool.

Schwinnparamount and vinylbeat like this.
  7. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

I collect both vinyl and CDs, I don't really understand the attitudes of those who shun CD's for some reason. I'd much rather have a physical CD than a download personally.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I think it's like anything else, people have their preferences.
    We could spend our time quibbling about the differences, or spend our time enjoy what we like.
    I do find wisdom in ownership. As the saying goes, possession is 9/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.