Fast & Furious 7…

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Huck Caton, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm pumped, I'm pumped, I'm pumped!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Movies like this are frequently shaped and changed in post, so anything is possible. I was told they were only halfway through production when he died, but my guess is that the studio and producers will not be anxious to let the public know this information. I tend to doubt that they're going to provide a lot of behind-the-scenes "before and after" comparisons of the stand-ins vs. the CG duplicates of Walker. I think that kind of magic will be pretty well covered up.

My understanding is that one brother did most of his dialogue, and the other brother (who was close to the same height and build) was the physical stand-in. These are all good questions, though.

The word is that the character won't die in the film, but instead will be "retiring" from future team-ups:

http://screenrant.com/fast-furious-7-paul-walker-brian-o-connor-ending-final-scene-2015/

GuildX700 and mikeyt like this.
  3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see how they handle any future ones, it any.

Paul was a key player from the first one on, (other than the dead beat Tokyo Drift).

His simple minded character with only a basic sense of direction of who and what he was made the series what it was, without him, it would not have had the legs it had IMO.

Vin certainly was a MAJOR force that pushed it on, but the unassuming Paul character really gave it some backbone. White Tee shirt and those old school tennis shoes in the first one. Same stuff I used to wear.

I've loved the movies from the start.

I was a street/track import racer several years before the first movie, a bit not unlike what was portrayed.

I did the street racing, but I also did a lot of sanctioned 1/4 mile track drag racing.

I love the series for what it is, even though it has many flawed technical details about cars, it strikes a good chord in my bones.

Seems to me the "heart" they gave Paul and Vin gave the series the solid backbone that it could have easily lacked and fallen on it's face. Instead it has gone on to do very well. I'm glad it did.

80sjunkie likes this.
  4. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Yes, the car stuff is definitely exaggerated outside of the actual stunt driving. But I think they really nail what gearheads love about cars, especially when they included a Honda NSX and other obscure rides.

What surprises me about this franchise is that generally speaking, the movies get better with each sequel. Totally opposite of what most franchises do. They call back to previous movies and build on a continuous story. They don't even have established material like a series of books to draw from. They are doing this as they go. Totally crazy.

GuildX700 likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cannot wait to see this!

GuildX700 likes this.
  6. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Ahhhh..guilty pleasure

GuildX700 likes this.
  7. Huck Caton

Huck Caton Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello, Sully!

I was the boom operator on Furious 7 and wanted to take a quick moment to let you know that much of what you mention about the picture is simply not true. I think you'll be pleased with both Furious 7 and the resolution of the unfortunate circumstances regarding the Brian O'Conner character. I'd go into detail but I've got to think you'd prefer to find out for yourself in a week or two! :)

Best,

~Huck

chilinvilin, PH416156 and Vidiot like this.
  8. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Huck;

Thanks for the reply. They must have screened the film because Rotten Tomatoes suddenly has 21 reviews with a 84% Fresh ranking. Not bad at all. A lot of the reviews reference the ending. Here is one of them from the Digital Spy.

The film's real triumph, though, is how it works as an emotional send-off for Walker. No spoilers here, but the closing moments are handled absolutely beautifully. Heartfelt and genuinely moving, it works both within the context of the Fast series' family-centric ethos and, perhaps more powerfully, offers a moment of closure for fans. The final shot could not be more perfect. Tears will be shed.

A lot of nice write-ups. I definitely want to see F7 but with me I'll likely find out for myself in 3 or 4 months (when the Disc comes out). :)

GuildX700 likes this.
  9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Variety: Vin Diesel: ‘Furious 7′ Will Win Best Picture at the Oscars

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/v...ll-win-the-oscar-for-best-picture-1201458635/

“Universal is going to have the biggest movie in history with this movie,” Diesel said in a lengthy interview with Variety for this week’s cover story. “It will probably win best picture at the Oscars, unless the Oscars don’t want to be relevant ever.”

Diesel took a breath, before offering his prediction for a second time. “This will win best picture,” Diesel said. “There is nothing that will ever come close to the power of this thing.”

10. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

My opinion - they drug it out too long. The original film was so-so imo. I honestly didn't care for 2 Fast 2 Furious. Only thing I liked about Tokyo Drift was the Japanese ladies. Fast & Furious was okay, I liked Fast Five. I haven't seen the sixth. Will probably see this 7th one.

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Not many series I can think of that didn't really hit their stride until the 5th film.

mikeyt likes this.
  12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Hyperbole much Mr.Diesel….it might crack $1B worldwide and be a decent action movie, best movie Oscar c'mon…..get real.

14. progrocker71

I think Vin confused the People's Choice Awards with the Academy Awards.

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I haven't seen any of these and that there are seven of them makes me want to check it out.

16. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

If you're fan of fun action movies (more Commando than Die Hard) Fast Five is really great.

17. DreadPikathulhu

Is there any requirement to watch them in order? I'm all for fun action movies when the mood strikes me.

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

April Fools' day.... one day earlier :laugh:

19. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/31/8318371/fast-and-furious-movies

good timeline - cliff notes - technically the chronological order is... 1 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 3 - 7, but some movies have nothing to do with the others.

DreadPikathulhu and mikeyt like this.
  20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

IMO no. There is back story to the relationships, and admittedly one important detail from the mediocre 4th film, that you'll miss but I don't think being out of the loop on those will detract too much. If you're not already enjoying the type of movie that it is, those details won't help much either way. I would start with Five and then go back through the others if you dig it. I think it expertly handles over the top action and a genuine story.

My quick thoughts on them would be:

Five is the most fun and I think balances the action and story best. I felt Six was a little too much over the top and sacrificed story but enjoyable. The first one is very solid, but is more of a street-race drama than an action movie. Your mileage may vary but I think 2, 3, and 4 are sort of a snooze. Five though... unbridled joy of an action flick.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  21. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

If you have not seen any of the Fast and Furious movies, I would recommend just starting with Fast 5, then Fast & Furious 6.

The series really hit its stride with Fast 5. The first one is good, but it does not have the over-the-top action sequences that the series would become known for with its sequels. The second, third and fourth are bottom of the heap.

If you start with Fast 5, you don't need to worry about missing any story arc from the earlier films. I know people who only started with Fast 5, and they "got it" fine.

The characters basically develop like this: he's a cop chasing the thief, now the cop is helping the thief, now the cop is back to being a cop, now the thief is helping the cop, now the cop is no longer a cop but a thief with a heart of gold, and the thief is still a thief but he's got a heart of gold. It makes no sense. Just view it as a gang doing cool action stuff.

mikeyt and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  22. progrocker71

Fast Five is the best (so far) by a comfortable margin. In my opinion the first film is "okay", 2, 3 and 4 are skippable, 5 is a real hoot, 6 is also very entertaining but the final action sequence on the runway just takes entirely too long, I started checking my watch during that sequence.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

Thanks, guys! I'll start with 5 and see if I like it. Anal-retentive me wants to start everything from #1.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

This thread is reminding me that I saw The Fast and the Furious (the first one) in 2001 by chance.

I went to see Pootie Tang (directed by Louis C.K. and starring Chris Rock) on its opening weekend. Pootie Tang was so bad that I walked out. I rarely walk out of a movie, but it was unwatchable.

I ducked into the next theater over, just starting The Fast and the Furious, which opened just the week before. I knew nothing about the movie, but found myself enjoying The Fast and the Furious and have been a fan of the series since.

mikeyt likes this.
  25. progrocker71

If you absolutely must...then watch #1, skip the next three and watch #5. :D

willy and mikeyt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.