HDTracks News (part 10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

The D'Angelo record uses the same master that the hi res uses.

2. Mij Retrac

I think that many people here wouldn't like my recommendations since I am not bothered by compressed music as most here are. There are very few hi res releases that I have genuinely been unhappy with.

GetHappy!! and mindblanking like this.
  3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Thank you for that thread. I have it on my watch list now.

4. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I agree. But it when it does happen it's definitely frustrating.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  5. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I agree. I owned the DVD Audio of Made in Japan and had no problem selling and replacing with the HDTracks version.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  6. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

Ooooo no - have to particularly disagree on that last one. In addition to the HDTracks I have the 2CD DE, the SHM SACD, and one of the new coloured vinyl LP's. All are way to bricked & distorted for my tastes. The latter being the biggest disappointment (vinyl sourced from digital - and brickwalled digital at that - does not work). My original '78 LP is still my Some Girls go-to.
    RE: Made in Japan - the DCC gold is the go-to for me on that. Has any explanation been offered as to why the HD Tracks has a remix of Strange Kind Of Woman...but the original mixes of all the other tracks?

You can tell I'm not a fan of squashed DR's. Then again - the opposite can be problematic too. Cases in point: Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells A Story. I have the 24/96, and it's clearly a flat transfer...but it's lifeless. Really needs just a smidgen of tweaking. Another flat transfer that appalled me was the SHM SACD of Free's Fire & Water. Absolutely dead sounding. The standard Japan SHM-CD (with obvious mastering/limiting/tweaking) sounds far better. To my ears anyway.

But these are just isolated opinions. I was kind of suggesting a list of universally panned or praised titles by the majority of contributors here. It'd be a great resource.

Tomek likes this.
  7. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Sorry, but have it basically been established the Paul Simon's are 24/48 files mastered at 24/96?

They sound IDENTICAL to the CDs to me. Bought the first three.

8. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

Best version is download only list.

I am interested in knowing which downloads are not only recommended but also different from SACD or dvd-a. My preference is to buy sacd or dvd-a and rip to my server vs download. Or even buy a physical product with hiRez download like McCartney.

I also wonder about resale. Can you buy a download, listen for awhile and then resell? If I buy an sacd and decide I don't like or want it anymore I can sell and get some money...some have even gone up. It seems you lose that value when buying just bits.

9. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

What's up with Acoustic Sounds and their 192/24 releases that no one else seems to have? ZZ TOP - Afterburner is 192/24, but the box set version is 44.1/24. Was this an analog recording or digital recording? Is Acoustic Sounds 192/24 a different master than the box set version?

10. ServingTheMusic

Welcome to reason we all are pulling our hair out. The labels are dangerously close blowing any chance of widespread acceptance.

riknbkr330 and Dino like this.
  11. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

That's not all they have - Not only do they have Afterburner, but Yes "90125" in 192/24, Phil Collins "No Jacket Required" in 192/24 and Inxs "Kicks" in 192/24. Still searching.....

12. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

There are quite a few more new arrivals - more Inxs, Diana Ross, Chicago (Chicago XI which I am going to get) - literally dozens of titles.

13. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Ponomusic.com has already had them for a while.

14. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Too bad they don't have a new arrivals section or I would have gotten them there before. They are losing out on some money without a better website.

15. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I found them all on Pono and they are a little cheaper, so I am giving Neil my money.......

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just noticed that a number of Whitesnake releases (EP through Saints & Sinners, plus the two live releases) are available in 96/24 on quobuz. Not on HD Tracks or Pro Studio Masters or Pono that I could find. Anyone here have any of these and able to comment? The numbers I've seen suggest there is some compression, but I don't know how much and how it affects the sound.

17. Rip van Radio

Rip van Radio Forum Resident

I bought them all, and they certainly do not sound identical to the CD to me. I find them substantially better. I have now bought about 300 24 bit releases (compared to 2300 CDs) and more than 90% of them sound great. Those which I already had on CD (which is probably the majority) sound substantially better in 24 bit. The drawbacks now are (a) the reduction in the value of the Euro against the Dollar and (b) the slow rate of release of 24 bit versions of many of my favourites. For example, nothing by the Byrds, only one by Elbow and only about half of Bob Dylan available in FLAC. Particular highlights for me have been Wilco, Springsteen, Maria Callas, Karajan 63 Beethoven Cycle, Fleetwood Mac and Paul Simon / Simon & Garfunkel.
    Bring them on!!

Mij Retrac and rburly like this.
  18. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I agree with him - the Paul Simon albums in 96Khz sound great and I have all of them now.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  19. ServingTheMusic

Substantially better? Me things you are hearing what you want to hear and are over stating immensely....

Specific to,the Paul Simons.

I spent more than a few hours comparing my XLD rips of the 2011 CDs to the downloads..which for all intents and purposes are 24/48, on a Simaudio 380D DAC, Simaudio 760A power amp, Coffman Labs Tubed pre via Bryston Mini T speakers..a very high resolution system and not quick A/B..But extended listening and I had a very hard time picking the CD rip from the DL..as a matter of fact I had to check my iPad to see which was playing at times.

As far as major artists with no high Rez representation...totally agree...Hendrix? Trower? Rory Gallagher? Jefferson Airplane? Etc.

20. ServingTheMusic

Nobody said they did sound great. The discussion was how they compare to the 2011 CDs.

Do you have them???

21. Mij Retrac

Most of these were mixed and/or recorded digitally so it is pointless to pay for the 192/24 versions. My guess is (I have nothing to back this up however) that the HDtracks are the same files and they found them to have no information above 22kHz. They test all of their files.

22. Mij Retrac

I think you need to re-read what I said before you disagree with me
    In other words the stuff off of Grrr that came from Some Girls sounds better than any other hi res digital version I have heard. The Some Girls Deluxe Version was more compressed and the EQ wasn't as good IMO.

23. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I'm most curious about Afterburner. There was discussion on another thread that this may have been at least a partial analog recording. Anyone here know for sure?

24. Mij Retrac

I believe it was an analog recording but mixed digitally. Don't hold me to it though.

25. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

I strongly agree with your opinion on Free Fire and Water SHM-SACD sound quality!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.