Toto to release new album: Toto XIV

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sander, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

What were you expecting at this point in their career ? Overall people think it is a strong album.

I think it is much better than the last album and catchy which Toto is known for.

Rocketdog and andy75 like this.
  2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah I like almost all of the songs on the album. It sounds fresh but also has that old Toto sound that has been missing from some of their more recent albums--and I really liked the last album Falling In Between.

walrus and bru87tr like this.
  3. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Listening to the Japan BSCD2 for the first time and I'm very impressed! Yes the SQ could have been better, but the music is too good to ignore because of that. What a fine return to form. IMO their best album since Kingdom Of Desire! It's filled with wonderful melodies.

Keith Carlocks drumming makes me think of Jeff Porcaro a bit. This new drummer is a perfect fit for Toto. Songs like 'Orphan', 'The Little Things' & 'Chinatown' are among their best ever songs.

redvette, marblesmike and bru87tr like this.
  4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Well they sure are talking this album up and how inspired they were and talking about trying to make the best album of their career. So one might have the distant hope that they could be somewhat successful in that goal.

bru87tr likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think FIB was stronger, but I like this one as well. Maybe a track or two too long, but most albums are.

bru87tr likes this.
  6. walrus

You'd think then, the rational thing to do would be to hand it off to a well-respected name (I'm sure these guys know everyone in the business in LA) and trust their judgement.

7. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I really dig Chinatown, played it over and over a few times. That one really sounds like old Toto.

8. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

So true. Many of the others does have that classic Toto sound too. Particularly those in the later half of the album. 'Chinatown' is really amazing!

bru87tr likes this.
  9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Really enjoy the songs & the playing on this album , but the mastering is just a Disaster :thumbsdow
    what a waste ....... i figured it would be a pretty decent sounding as Lukathers last solo album sounded pretty good ...

I blame Frontiers records a lot of their stuff is mastered like crap ......... pretty sad , crank this in the car & your ears are going to bleed :help:

bru87tr likes this.
  10. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I agree, as I mentioned up the thread a bit, and probably one of my favorites from the album. I also think the album starts strong. 21st Century Blues sounds like Lukather solo tune. And not a good one.

andy75 likes this.
  11. walrus

I really enjoyed the W.E.T. and Work Of Art albums, but they're all equally terrible sounding. There's vinyl of a couple of those, but I'm hesitant to spend the money if it isn't any better.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  12. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

Hey everybody!
    I bought this album on vinyl.
    Does anybody have the same problem I have?
    I'm hearing a lot of nasty distortion on Holy war... especially on the china (cymbal) hits.
    The other songs (inner or outer grooves) don't seem to have it.

Is my pressing defective?

The gear is still the same: AT440MLA, modded Technics, Pro-ject Phono Box RS.

Thanks all.

13. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

oh I forgot, I can upload a sample if needed.

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I can't relate to the review above. Not sure what some expected, but this is Toto doing what they do best. I am ecstatic with the quality (of songs) and style of this album, classic!

After 3 listens, there is not one song I skip and each time I thought this is a fantastic album. I can't say there is one song I dislike.

Rocketdog likes this.
  15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I to love the W.E.T. stuff , only Vinyl i can speak of is i have the Sweet & lynch on vinyl & honestly the Mp3 download i got sounds a little better ...... Vinyl is a middle of the Road pressing & almost just sounds like they pressed a cd onto vinyl .... I do have the TOTO vinyl on order , kind wondering if i should cancel now :shrug:

16. walrus

I will say they did a good job with the Mr. Big What If... vinyl. But at the same time, their vinyl of Yes' Fly From Here had all kinds of issues. I guess W.E.T and Work Of Art are a little too obscure for anyone here to have gotten the LP's.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  17. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Just had a listen to the new album. I think it's pretty good, though not exceptional. The vocals are especially impressive throughout, though I could have used more of a balance between guitar and keyboard (I feel there's a bit too much emphasis on rhythm guitar to flesh out the mixes, which wouldn't have been the case in the old days). I find the strongest tracks to be the first three and the last three, with those in the middle dragging somewhat. Is "All the Tears That Shine" the first time David has sung the lead vocals on a ballad? In any event, those vocals were a highlight, as was the appropriately dramatic closer, "Great Expectations." (Of course, I won't bother to pile on about the atrocious mastering).

Carserguev likes this.
  18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Back in the day I considered "I Think I Could Stand You Forever" to be the ballad on Turn Back and he sang that.

'Course I just always loved the title of that song.

Mark

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

So - is this new album more ballad-y (think IV), or prog-y (think Hydra)?

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I am another person who thinks this is perhaps the worst mastering I have ever heard, and while I am a huge Toto fan and love the music on the new album the sound of it almost completely ruins it for me. Like another person said, I listened to it quietly on headphones the other night and heard audible distortion. I only made it through three songs. This was on AKG K712 phones. It sounds slightly more tolerable on my speakers. I agree with your comments about overblown bass and being squashed. I also think the last Van Halen album sounded pretty bad, but to me the Toto is worse. When I play the Van Halen I am somehow able to forget about the mastering and enjoy it, the sound on the Toto bothers me more. I think Falling in Between sounds bad also but in my opinion this new one is worse. I am angry and disappointed with the sound of this album, more than I have ever been with an album before.

21. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

Especially after Luke was saying how great it sounded, pre-mastering I guess.

22. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I would say it's much closer to Hyrda than IV. If Hyrda had Joseph Williams on vocals instead of Bobby Kimball, than it'd be even closer.

I was thinking the same thing. Really enjoy his addition to the band.

Personally, I'm loving the new album.

bru87tr, Carserguev and andy75 like this.
  23. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

This one is maybe worse than Falling in Between? Didn't think that was possible with a Toto album. I have not gotten it yet. Really wanted the deluxe version, but now probably not.

Pat

24. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Have they cancelled the album due to Porcaro's passing. Is Bobby Kimball involved. Why a terrible
    Title like Toto fourteen.

25. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Neither. I think it has two ballads and two somewhat proggy numbers, and the rest are just sort of standard pop rock songs. It sounds most like Falling in Between, but with Joseph Williams on vocals.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.