Your top 7 Genesis songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now listening to "Naminanu". :love: Easily one of the greatest B-Sides to ever exist.

Rojo, pablo fanques and supersquonk like this.
  2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Firth Of Fifth
    Musical Box
    Suppers Ready
    Anyway
    Entangled
    One For The Vine
    Los Endos

I won't put them in order, but there's a reason Firth is at the top.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

In no particular order:

Dance On A Volcano
    The Cinema Show
    Fading Lights
    Turn It On Again
    Man Of Our Times
    Watcher Of The Skies
    Firth Of Fifth

4. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

Suppers Ready
    Cinema Show
    Carpet Crawlers
    Firth of Fifth
    Behind the Lines
    Counting out time
    Lilywhite Lilith

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm a huge Prog fan. Played in a neoprog band for seven years. I can't think of a Genesis track I come close to liking.

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That makes no sense.

7. Archtop

How so? I dig prog; I don't dig Genesis. What's so complicated about that?

8. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Supper's Ready
    White Mountain
    The Musical Box
    Back In N.Y.C.
    Ripples
    Burning Rope
    Heathaze
    Mama

Oops...that's 8.

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Blood on the rooftops
    Anyway
    Suppers ready
    Fifth of firth
    Fly on a windshield/Broadway melody 1974
    The Lamia

10. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

You did a great job. Never noticed the guitar solo before, now I will never forget it. I love this album. I love genesis.

Shak Cohen and JohnnyQuest like this.
  11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you. I remember the first time I heard it, I almost cried. :love: Tears of joy.

thestereofan likes this.
  12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Nothing wrong with you. Genesis have a massive catalog, it just seems a prog lover would eventually dig either Supper's Ready or The Slippermen or Cinema Show or Giant Hogweed, etc. etc. Such magical stuff.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  13. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

This could be different every time I'm asked, but:

The Musical Box
    Entangled
    Supper's Ready
    Dodo/Lurker
    I Know What I Like
    Behind The Lines/Duchess
    White Mountain

I really like everything up to '83 and am definitely a fan of The Brazilian, Domino and a handful of tracks from We Can't Dance

daveidmarx likes this.
  14. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I don't think I have 7 favorites. Up until 83 or so (like guy above me) I enjoy pretty much all of it. I even like things like Seven Stones or Dusk. Or Submarine (original non-faded version!)

Definitely Selling England is my favorite album, though.

15. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

The need to post to this thread?

16. James Cunningham

James Cunningham Forum Resident

In no particular order and subject to frequent revision....
    Musical Box
    Cinema Show
    Los Endos
    Dodo/Lurker
    The Brazillian
    Fading Lights
    The Dividing Line

James

17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

On one level, it's not odd ... I listen to a load of Prog, but I've never been very keen on Yes or Rush or ELP. But for sure there are songs by all three of those bands that I like, whereas you say that you've never heard a Genesis song that you've "come close to liking". That's odd for a start, but also you say you played in a Prog band, and for me hearing that someone who played in a Prog band never came close to liking a Genesis song is like saying that someone played in a jazz band and never came close to liking Miles Davis.

Getting back to the thread:
    1. "Get 'Em Out By Friday": Easy choice ... Foxtrot is my favourite album of all time and this track currently stands at number four in my all-time favourites list.
    2. "Harold The Barrel": Because not every great Prog track has to be long.
    3. "Watcher Of The Skies": Great proto-Metal track and one of the most "exciting" Genesis tracks.
    4. "Firth Of Fifth": Probably the most "beautiful" Genesis song.
    5. "Supper's Ready": My third from Foxtrot means that I'm close to having the entire album but, hey, it's "Supper's Ready"!
    6. "Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea": The S/T album is the only post-Gabriel album I love throughout, and this is its centrepiece. Nice to see that others have mentioned it.
    7. "Driving The Last Spike": Maybe not in the same class as others here, but I keep coming back to this track: its uplifting emotional tone is unusual for Genesis and the build to the climax is oddly magical.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

-Stagnation
    -The Musical Box
    -Supper's Ready
    -Firth of Fifth
    -Back in NYC
    -Mad Mad Moon
    -Afterglow
    -Mama (Bonus Track :D)

pablo fanques likes this.
  19. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I've only taken (nearly) a year to answer this... :rolleyes: :D

When I saw the thread first, I must have thought 'NO chance!!' But then sometimes you feel you might as well have a stab at it; so here we are. :)

1. The Fountain Of Salmacis
    2. Stagnation
    3. In The Cage Medley (3 Sides Live)
    4. Get 'Em Out By Friday
    5. Ripples
    6. Firth Of Fifth
    7. Snowbound

All totally indispensable songs for me and they are very top ones - even though I've never thought seriously about owning a Genesis comp (I do have a newspaper free one though and I've played it twice, I think.)

I've tried to - fairly successfully - compile lists of Genesis tracks, a few times before and saved a 2-CDr compilation on a hard drive that never did get burned to disc! I'm not going to question why 7 or even make a point of it being an odd number as there are plenty of great albums that have nice running lengths with around this amount of tracks. And this would make a nice grey-market 'release' compilation, I say. ;)

NorthNY Mark and JohnnyQuest like this.
  20. Archtop

And I'll admit that I've not come close to hearing the entire catalogue.
    Well, I didn't mean to poop in the punch bowl, but many folks have told me I'd dig this or that, and I just don't. I'll confess to really not liking Phil Collins' solo stuff, but he's a perfectly fine drummer and I like Peter Gabriel's solo work, so I'm at a loss. Nothing's ever clicked so far.
    I was a professional jazz musician for six years (double bass) and to be honest, Miles isn't in my top 50 jazz musicians in terms of preference.

So, I didn't want to drop a negative and never come back, and I own up to my statements. Any suggestions? I can't stand much synthesizer, so let's leave it to pre-'75.

21. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I Know What I Like
    Aisle Of Plenty
    Carpet Crawlers
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Squonk
    Deep In The Motherlode
    Keep It Dark

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

This is very hard. I'll try to spread things out and keep it to one song per album from 7 of their best albums. No live cuts in consideration. And as much as I love Supper's Ready, I'm leaving it off. I'll try to stick to more concise pieces I love Genesis and almost everything they've released so here goes, in no particular order.

1. The Musical Box - Summarizes the early days of Genesis in 10 minutes. Opens with a folky and serene aura before transforming into a heavy metal beast, tempo and volume changing throughout the entire song, coming to one of the greatest closing sections in rock history, imo. The finale to the song is so epic it still gives me chills when I listen to it.

2. Get 'Em Out By Friday - I love every song on Foxtrot, and for an album that includes the great Supper's Ready, this was a tough one. Thinking the album through, Get 'Em Out is one song I always play. The instrumentation is great and the time signatures wacky. Gabriel's lyrics steal the show.

3. The Carpet Crawlers - Again, coming from an album with almost all killer and hardly any filler, this one was tough to choose from. Something about The Carpet Crawlers really touches me, though. One of the most moving pieces of music I've heard.

4. Heathaze - Not much to say. My favorite track off of Duke.

5. No Reply At All - Abacab is, imo, a near-flawless album, and No Reply At All is a pop masterpiece.

6. Home By The Sea - Strong melody, great instrumentation, the second part of the song which is all instrumental shows Genesis flexing out their instrumental muscle in ways that were uncommon at the time.

7. No Son Of Mine - Good pop rock tune with a dark edge and vividly intense lyrics and vocals from Phil.

I could choose 7 great B-SIDES from Genesis, let alone album tracks. They've put out a lot of great music. This was tough to make. Hope I've made some good selections though :)

23. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

1. The Cinema Show
    2. Los Endos
    3. Duke's Travels
    4. Heathaze
    5. Fly On A Windshield
    6. Broadway Melody Of 1974
    7. Anyway

This was by no means easy.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well, Genesis was very synthesizer oriented, but I think were far more tasteful in its use than the usual suspects. If it's more guitar oriented you prefer, then I would suggest "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" or "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight" or "Firth of Fifth" or "The Knife."

I see you like King Crimson, so I would think you would really dig Miles Davis' "Agharta." It's my favorite.

Archtop likes this.
  25. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

"Ripples" and "Entangled," as well as "Blood on the Rooftops" are pretty light on the Tony Banks synths. "Horizons" too. There are actually a lot of tracks that are pretty light on synths. Wind & Wuthering and The Lamb are very synthesizer-heavy, though.

Archtop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.