Amy Winehouse's legacy as an artist- what is it now; one year after her death?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I think both artists' music is very divisive.

2. So anyone who disagrees with you that Amy Winehouse will leave a musical legacy like Janis Joplin is a hater who desperately wishes that it won't happen? :rolleyes:

old school likes this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Amy Winehouse and Janis Joplin will only be talked about in the same breath when talking about drug dead early. Amy was a flash in the pan, not enough work to really judge by.

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Good point to mention Whitney ... she was better in virtually every respect than Amy (better voice, more hit singles, longer career) and personally I'm not even convinced that Whitney will have a significant place in musical history.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I think Whitney's place was cemented by the early 90's. Her string of massive hits and singles and album sales really speak for themselves despite how quickly and fast she fell.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

A lot of big stars have become comparatively small historical footnotes. Will Whitney really burn brighter than Cilla Black, Shirley Bassey, Sandie Shaw? Time will tell I guess, but I find it hard to see why she or Amy should stand out in the history books.

7. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Cilla Black will be remembered by most in the UK as that person who hosted "Blind Date" and "Surprise Surprise". Not for her voice...which is awful, to say the least.

I agree re Whitney - a far better singer and much more successful.

I was very saddened to hear of Amy passing - I've been in a few signed bands, one of which had a "Irish" front person notorious for his drinking/drug-taking/appalling teeth, and it's actually rare to see someone die from their habits, especially when young - unfortunately, the ones I've seen go early in these circles have often tried to quit drugs/alcohol overnight and not wean themselves off it first of all. It's too much of a shock to the body's system.

Having said that, her passing has led to the term "genius" being applied to her - the all too common deification of artists who die too early. She was a great lyricist, but the rawness and authentic soul bearing of her lyrics were at odds with her very affected vocal style for me.

Freddie Mercury deserves all the plaudits in the world, however - now there was a man dismissed by many as a bit of a joke until after his death. Such a unique vocalist/performer who wrote some brilliant songs.

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I wonder if those who say she made only one good album have ever actually listened to "Frank". I personally prefer it over "Back To Black", though of course that album was her big success. But "Frank" is still a good album.

I'm not sure if artists like Duffy or Adele would have gotten the chance to have a hit without Amy Winehouse making an old genre mainstream compatible again. And that's part of her legacy for me.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I have to disagree with respect to Adele. She would have had the chance to have a hit with our without the existence of Amy Winehouse (no disrespect to Amy intended).

SteveM likes this.
  10. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

Joss Stone?

11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Overshadowed...Lol Too easy...:laugh:
    She's the modern day (my generation's) Janis Joplin.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. old school

old school Senior Member

I don't see how you can compare Amy with Janis? Two completely different artists. Janis got her following from her singing period. Not from a cultural movement. That's a ludicrous statement and shows you have zero knowledge of Janis Joplin. Just watch Janis sing ' Ball and Chain' from Monterey Pop
    Festival that will tell you it was pure talent not any cultural movement.

13. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I seem to remember her now as the one who said "no" to rehab, and should have gone...

Not trying to be funny. It's just kind of sadly ironic.

14. JohnnyQuest

But he's right about Janis benefiting from the counter-culture movement. Seems like that played the biggest part in her success.
    Exactly. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Rosskolnikov likes this.
  15. old school

old school Senior Member

Your wrong and so is he! It was her talent that got her in a male dominated Rock & Roll band. The counterculture had nothing to do with it.
    It was Janis and her unique raw blues vocal talent period. What about Grace Slick the counterculture got her in the Jefferson Airplane? ludicrous
    statement!

16. JohnnyQuest

They both....
    Became superstars because of their soulful voices and distinctive sound.
    Died way too soon because of drugs/alcohol abuse.
    Musically active/productive for about 5 years max.
    Released two solo albums that were critically acclaimed and commercially successful.

What makes Janis Joplin's musical legacy more important?

ARK likes this.
  17. old school

old school Senior Member

Her talent and her drive to break into the male dominated music scene.
    Janis had a unique voice and was such a powerful performer her legacy
    is rock solid ( no pun intended) Janis blew away all the rock royalty and the
    public. Watch her performance at Monterey Pop Festival that should answer
    your question!

18. JohnnyQuest

I've seen her performance at the Monterey Pop Festival and Woodstock. They were decent.
    If I was actually there maybe it would've had a greater impact on me. She's a great soul vocalist but nothing from Pearl or Kozmic Blues grabbed me the way "Love is a Losing Game" or "Me & Mr. Jones" did.
    Even my father (who is a 60's kid) was captivated by Amy's music and purchased Back to Black based on some special that he saw on the Jools Holland show. You should give her albums a listen.
    They're both wonderful artists in their own right. I can't pick one over the other but I do find myself listening to Amy more. :love:

19. old school

old school Senior Member

Somehow that does not surprise me.

20. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

I remember Janis well, and saw her live with Big Brother. I believe that at the time of her death, she was fully formed. She didn't seem to be still growing as a singer. Amy, I believe, was quite different. I think there was a world of possibility in front of her that she had barely begun to explore. We got the best of Janis; I doubt that was true of Amy.

wolfram and old school like this.
  21. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I would not compare Janis Joplin with Amy Winehouse, cause they lived in very different times. To me it somehow looks as if the later generation wanted to say "Look - this is our Janis Joplin".
    Both were talented singers and had all doors wide open.
    Janis at her days was a "first". Like those others forming that "club27" she obviously could not see or understand, that she was killing herself.
    But Amy Winehouse could see that and singing a song like "Rehab" shows her in a very strange light.
    We are surrounded by many people, who desperately fight against drink and drug problems. And there you have a talented and also rich person, who spits in the face of those even warning her....
    I never listen to her music since.

22. JohnnyQuest

That's your reason? :confused: It's her life, she lived it how she wanted. Because of that, she paid the ultimate price. Just like many rockstars that came before her.
    Janis could've saved herself too, if she fought the addiction and sought rehabilitation for help with her drug use. They're both responsible for their premature deaths.
    You never listen to her music since? So you also don't listen to Elvis? Jimi Hendrix? Gram Parsons? How does that benefit you?

ARK likes this.
  23. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Please read my mail correctly. Janis Joplin and other early rock musicians didn't know better. Amy Winehouse could have learned from all of them. Instead she even "celebrated" her downfall in public, we have seen those terrible live performances.
    How do I benefit from not listening to her? I do not get angry, cause thinking about her makes me angry, how someone so talented could throw it all away just for drugs.

Say It Right and jeatleboe like this.
  24. Adele's career did not need an Amy Winehouse to kick start it.

25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Her legacy, I think, is to show people that they shouldn't use and abuse. And if they have a problem, they should go to rehab - yes, yes, yes!!

Helmut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.