Interstellar - Christopher Nolan

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good point. Maybe the failed to clarify what the trucks were running on. But if I remember correctly, I think there was a line in there "we didn't run out of energy, we ran out of food." At least, I think there was.

I just watched this clip on youtube (yeah, there are clips on youtube) and McConneagh was steering something and he had TARS steering something else, it was some kind of two-man (or man-robot) operation to dock.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Deleted some posts where a forum member decided to take personal potshots at another forum member because of his opinion about movies. :chill:

3. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

4. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I received the Blu Ray combo pack I pre-ordered. One thing I found really cool is it has a unique piece of 70mm IMAX film cell in it. I am planning to get that encased like people do with baseball cards. Anybody know if that comes in all of them, or is it just for people who pre-ordered?

Otherwise movie was really good imo too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    mikeyt likes this.
  5. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I just finished watching Interstellar. I'm a huge sci fi fanatic. I've read thousands of sci fi novels by all the greats. Clarke,Asimov,Niven,Pohl,Dick etc. I thought the move was a load of crap. The ending where he meets his daughter in the hospital seemed oddly emotionless to me. Half the dialogue I couldn't understand.

norman_frappe and lbangs like this.
  6. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I read in several places that the Imax film cell is in all of the first run of Blurays, regardless of store exclusives.

Speaking of exclusives, the Walmart exclusive is a 48-page book packaged with their own exclusive-artwork version of the film (with the colorful Endurance-in-space shot used for much of the promo material of the film.) Target gets a steelbook with the three astronauts and the Ranger in the water of the ocean planet, and the other versions are just a standard Bluray or DVD case with that same image.

I've read sci-fi my whole life. I thought the film was fantastic. As for the dialogue, Nolan stated in interviews that it was intentionally mixed like that to focus on what was happening between the characters rather than on the specifics of what they were saying.

wayneklein and darkmass like this.
  7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I had no issues understanding the dialogue. My only complaint with the mix in the theater was the sub was turned up ridiculously loud in sequences basically vibrating so much everyone had to get up and pee at some point during the movie.

8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

It's not just in the theater. When playing it on my home theater set-up, something fell off a shelf
    in ANOTHER ROOM in the house. It really is over the top with rumbling bass.......

mikeyt likes this.
  9. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Gee not much of a cel they gave me,a shot of a Hallway in 2:35:1 so the Imax like cel is letterboxed

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I agree!

11. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

My cel is of Anne Hathaway's character inside a ship; her expression is one of fear so I'm guessing it's when the giant wave is coming at them.

12. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I think the problem with films like these is that they try to please everybody and in the end nobody is completely satisfied.
    With an emotional connection on one hand, and scientific on the other... it's very hard to do justice to both.

13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The part about Hans Zimmer falling asleep on top of his organ made me laugh out loud.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

LOL, spot on! Loved the comments read out at the end too.

15. I got Anne Hathaway so ain't complaining. They needed to be careful about what frames they put in there as someone got the black screen after all the credits ran.

16. Well considering that Nolan's films have often been accused of being emotionally lacking, it is a step forward. I liked the film but it is flawed.

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

*daughter travels millions of miles to see her father*

"Dad, I love you. It's very good to see you. I came all this way (MILLIONS OF MILES!!!) to see you! But you shouldn't see me, because it's unnatural. Go away now. Let me enjoy my real family I created over 90 years while you were away."

*meanwhile all the family members traveled MILLIONS of miles to see the daughter because she insisted on traveling MILLIONS of miles to see her father who she then only saw (by her own free will) for 30 seconds*

HOW INSENSITIVE AND ENTITLED CAN YOU GET!

Then I like how all the extended relatives and immediate family are hunched over Grandma's death bed, including the children, as if they're all intensely devoted and interested in her. In real life, the kids would be staying as far away as possible because of old people death germs, and the rest of the family wouldn't be that invested and certainly wouldn't have traveled millions of miles, because they, y'know, have their own families and lives to tend to.

turnersmemo likes this.
  18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

^ Yes, but that doesn't really create a "cinematic moment" then, does it?

19. nbakid2000

The "cinematic moment" completely took me out of the film, personally. I found it laughable.

Solaris likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My review copy had one...

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well it's only a movie...

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I had the same problem with the dialog...the ending? it left me cold, but again it's only a movie and IMO, did not reflect "real life"... my wife commented on this as well and we both agreed.

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I just watched the BD. Holy smokes that is an incredibly dynamic mix. I'm glad there were no gunshots or other loud sounds that are normally painful to hear at loud volume.

I read a comment somewhere that Nolan cast McConaughey after seeing him in Mud. Good taste, Mud was his best role.

Solaris, Master_It_Right and mikeyt like this.
  24. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I also thought the way the whole "elderly daughter briefly meets middle-aged dad" scene was handled badly, but you got the gist of this whole thing wrong - they hadn't travelled to see him, they had escaped earth, permanently, and he had been left near them by who/whatever created the wormhole so they could find him.

The "meet again" ending was too easy, IMO. I would have preferred it if Coop had died within the tesseract. He promised Murph that he would be there for her, and he was, just not in a physical sense, by sending the message from within the tesseract, and she realized that it had been him all along, and that she would never see him again. That's all that needed to be done between those two characters. Then they could simply cut to Murph's ship closing in on Anne Hathaway's planet, and we'd know that humanity continues on there.

25. nbakid2000

I will go back and re watch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.