Disturbing Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jayski, Mar 4, 2013.

1. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

never saw the movie, but the short story always reminded me of darren mcgavin in 'kolchack, the night stalker'.

cheers,
    rob

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

with some movies I can say "It's only a movie" others do on occasion really upset me.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  3. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Hard Candy (2005)

Gumboo likes this.
  4. quakerparrot67

deff. agreed. there are some that do turn my stomach or strike me as 'wrong' in a very visceral way ( i do not enjoy this feeling and do not seek it out). 'hard candy' stuck with me for a bit , but felt strangely satisfying rather than making me feel 'unclean' like , say, 'i spit on your grave'.

a movie that i found truly disturbing at a young age (11 or so) was the 1972 'the other', written by tom tryon and starring uta hagen. i caught most of it on tv before my mom saw what i was watching and turned it off, saying it was 'sick'. i've seen it since and it is a genuinely creepy midwestern gothic about twin brothers with a secret- kinda like a ray bradbury story with an added layer of 'wrong'. very mild by todays standards, no gore or anything really graphic, but still more chill inducing than most horror i've seen. the book is also well worth a read.

cheers,
    rob

Felix Martinez likes this.
  5. Dogtooth....

Moth likes this.
  6. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

I adore The Other. It did also creep me out when I saw it on TV around your same age back then and then caught it on a PPV channel when I was in college in 1988. It was like watching it for the first time, with adult eyes and sensibilities.

Truly disturbing, but very beautiful film. I LOVE it.

Twilight Time performed a miracle and put out a blu-ray which is a thing to behold: http://www2.screenarchives.com/titl.../THE-OTHER-1972-4TH-BIRTHDAY-PROMOTION-PRICE/

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I actually just watched that movie for the first time a few weeks ago. I don't recall anything creepy or disturbing about it, although I was a bit surprised at the scene where a baby is found drowned inside a rain barrel.... usually films tend to shy away from allowing anything bad to happen to a child, and almost never to a baby. The film gets a few bonus points from me for acknowledging that kids & babies aren't immortal just because they're in a movie.

8. Ray comes to mind...

9. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

What did you find disturbing about Buffalo '66? I really like it.
    I didn't find Delicatessen disturbing, either.

I own both of the above films on Blu-ray.

Snowtown was disturbing, but not the most disturbing I've seen. Audition and Martyrs both come to mind. as well as Irreversible.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Grizzly Man? Or, bloke abandons critical faculties and pitches tent next to hungry bad tempered bears.

Joking aside, terrible way to die but that risk was always there the minute he pitched his tent.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  11. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Bambi

12. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I enjoyed this movie I've just recently seen...but realize it's way too creepy for many.

[​IMG]

Hoffman is a 1970 British film directed by Alvin Rakoff and starring Peter Sellers, Sinéad Cusack, Ruth Dunning and Jeremy Bulloch.

It is notable for the haunting music by Ron Grainer, the theatrical art of scene setting, fine color cinematography, and as one of Sellers' few 'straight' performances.

Plot:

Hoffman is the satirical tale of an older man, played by Peter Sellers, who pressures a young woman to come to his flat in London. As the film progresses, it is revealed that Sellers' character has caught one of his workers dealing in a scam against his company, and has decided to blackmail the man's lovely fiancée away for a full week to convince her to fall in love with him instead. A witty drama rather than a comedy, the film has an almost terrifying performance by Sellers, involved in intricate mind games with the other protagonists.

Reportedly, Sellers despised Hoffman because the lead character too closely reflected his own personality. According to Bryan Forbes, who was head of the studio that financed the film, Sellers went through a depressive phase after filming was completed and he asked to buy back the negative and remake the movie. He also gave an interview where he said the film was a disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoffman_(film)

13. quakerparrot67

wow- this i gotta see! i love sellers, and this sounds more than interesting. did anyone find 'the life and death of peter sellers', with geoffrey rush, kinda creepy ( though not in a horror movie kind of way)? it and the biography that it was based on both showed a side of my favorite comedic actor that i never would have guessed otherwise (of course, i don't know how true e to reality they really were, but i found both the book and the movie pretty convincing), and rush really was masterful playing the 'character' of mr. sellers as well as many of his best known film characters.

cheers,
    rob

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  14. Yes, it is a distributing film - particularly because it is based on real events. And in my opinion fact is always far more disturbing than fiction. Snowtown is a good film.

"In 1999, Snowtown became notorious as the location where the remains of eight bodies were found in barrels of acid stored in a disused bank vault. The Snowtown murders or Bodies in Barrels murders, as they came to be known, occurred in several locations in South Australia between August 1992 and May 1999. The bodies were held at a series of locations around Adelaide for some time, and were moved to Snowtown in early 1999, a few months before their discovery. Only one victim was killed in Snowtown and none of the victims or the perpetrators were local to the town. Four people led by John Justin Bunting were convicted of murder or assisting the murders. Snowtown, a film about the murders and the life of Bunting, was released in 2011."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown,_South_Australia

I believe that at one point the town was thinking of changing its name.

15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

What's the issue with the Antichrist movie? Is it bloody or something?

16. moops

moops Senior Member

Larry Mc likes this.
  17. Michael

Ellen Page was fabulous...

18. Michael

fitting...

19. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

you know...(spoiler alert)...Bambi's mom dies.

20. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

One part is bloody in a particularly unpleasant way. I see it's described in the link moops provided.

21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Let me know what you think !

The part about how he despised the movie because it reflected his own personality is peculiar. Even though it's not described as a comedy...I found myself laughing quite a bit. It touched that odd sense in myself as well. :D

22. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Has anybody seen the movie, 2:13? A little boy's mother is severely disfigured in a car accident. When he is first allowed to visit her, she is wearing a mask. He says, as he has been told, "Mommy, you look so pretty," then pulls the mask off.

What is revealed is one of most disturbing things I've ever seen.

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Sinead CUSACK?!?!?!?

I just have a vision of the hybred of Sinead O'Connor & John Cusack!
    Quite disturbing indeed!

24. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I have seen a lot of urban movies and most are just gangsters in the hood movies but somehow "Snow on Tha Bluff" was disquieting. Anyone else seen it?

25. quakerparrot67 likes this.